Goldfish vid Moho VS Toon Boom Harmony

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mikdog

Goldfish vid Moho VS Toon Boom Harmony

Post by Mikdog »

Hi,

Long time no post :)

I used to use Moho a lot, but alas, was really hoping they'd improve the drawing tools so I could draw into the program with my tablet without having to draw in Photoshop and import into Moho. When it didn't seem to ever happen, I migrated to Toon Boom Harmony, and have been using it almost exclusively the last few years for projects.

I really liked the Moho animation tools :/ but have got used to and now enjoy Toon Boom's tools.

Anyways, I thought this may be slightly interesting if not to anyone else besides myself. 9 years ago I animated my first Goldfish video by drawing in Photoshop and animating in Moho, Goldfish's 'Soundtracks and Comebacks':

I recently released a new video created in Toon Boom Harmony Premium 14, that's in a similar style Goldfish's 'Take Back Tomorrow':

Peace out,

Mike
Hoptoad

Re: Goldfish vid Moho VS Toon Boom Harmony

Post by Hoptoad »

Awesome sauce! I especially enjoyed the funny bits. :D
DK

Post by DK »

Hey Mike great to see you back.
Love the video but I must say....I much prefer the old one as far as the artwork and look of the animation. I realize the first one wasn't drawn natively in Mofo, never the less they are both brilliantly done in that great style of yours :)

Cheers
D.K
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Mike,
It's been too long! I have to say I prefer the richer, more sculptured drawing style of the first video, but hey, can't argue with your views of Moho's drawing tools -- I've been bitching about them for years! Don't be a stranger!
J
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Long time, man.

I have to agree with jahnocli. The first one has a lot more shading and texture, while the second one is very flat overall...and seems like more of a limited animation style (fewer frames per animated cycle).

Both are very entertaining.
chucky

Post by chucky »

'No matter how much wanna leave , you could come back.'

That goldfish was a beauty Mikdog, no doubt, great energy and craftsmanship.

So I use toon boom a lot ( for storyboarding) I have done FBF in it too, it's very fast.
I have to agree with the comments about the first vid looking better.
u want to continue with TB I would do a few things to get back the freshness.
Some of it's pretty boring work.
First maybe increase the smoothing, but don't let TB do so much optimising of the drawings, it smooshes out the corners ( a bit like the blob tool in Moho), it really looks bad when lines cross. Also when the lines cross but have loose hanging ends, they are very distracting, in this style,
I suggest you get that snipping tool out and clip off those extended strokes... you know what I mean, it'll clean it up (in a good way).
Use the masking, shade and highlight, it's frickn easy in toon boom, that added mood to the goldfish piece.
Of course you can get brilliant results in toonBoom an I love your stuff Mikdog, do you need a bigger screen or tablet?
This latest piece doesn't have the charm or finesse of the goldfish.

Have you tried the CSP drawing tools?
They are great for what you are doing.

I wish they would make the last few improvements in Moho to get FBF to be completely viable.
The freehand tool itself was improved a fair bit in twelve, it still have a few gremlins, but the real problems lie in the bucket fill and blob.
I think the biggest problem with freehand are the inappropriate defaults, people are bound to give up on it after a few strokes, who wants to fiddle with settings to prove it can draw?
If I ever get a second I should one day do a proper demo of how to get some good results from the freehand.
Toon Boom and CSP both kill Moho in that department getting an expressive, free and clean drawing is one thing, colouring it is another. Moho sux at the colouring.
But then again, ToonBoom's tweening and motion curves are bloody awful, I found myself using both in the past but have done the opposite to you and been gravitating back to moho for a long time. Although my next contract is toonboom and tomorrow I start discussions which could have me locked into it for a year. Hmmmm. I may have to abandon some bigger plans which involved a full Moho production for safe but less rewarding option. Not sure if I should, I certainly would not even entertain these ideas if Moho hadn't undergone this recent team turmoil.

Maybe V13 will reign in the things that hold Moho back? Maybe it will keep more of us on board and lose less of us to the big machine.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I agree with the others, the first clip looks much better, I dont think you are getting the best out of TB yet, but the second clip is still entertaining, good work!

Moho is the king of cut-out, it is also pretty good at image deformation, but I also agree with the others that the drawing tools could get better, although they are sufficient for my style of animation.