Hair Animation Again

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

Hair Animation Again

Post by lwaxana »

Hi all! I'm working on a shot that introduces this character... I'm trying to resist the urge to make every shot a closeup, so I zoomed out at the last minute and haven't added the body yet.

Comments and critique are welcome.

jahnocli

Re: Hair Animation Again

Post by jahnocli »

I like it, but for me the lump of hair in front of her face (!) is moving too rhythmically (wow, that is a tough word to spell).
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That looks great Lwaxana. Just wondering, FBF, bones, or point animation? Or combo?

I set up 'windy hair' animation for a character a while back using bones. The result looked good but it was kind of a pain to animate because I had to make different 'sub-rigs' for each angle of the hair, which got really cluttered and hard to work with, even with different color codes for each setup.

If I were to do that animation today, I would use Victor's clever 'rig switching' technique described in another thread. I've since used his trick to swap out different arm rigs and other custom body part rigs in a character. (For example, switching regular jointed arms to noodle arms, or profile animal head bones for front view animal head bones.)

The rig switch trick works well but my experience with that first hair animation made me wish Moho allowed me to keyframe bone visibilty so I can hide and reveal these 'sub-rigs' in a Smart Bone Action.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Looks, good! The mass might change a bit here and there. Could you render a few more loops next time? It's all a bit quick on you tube.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Very nice artwork :) I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the hair moves a little too much as a single mass. That would seems to me to be more like the hair under water. I expect each hair element to move a little more erratic or separately (secondary motion), if you know what I mean.
Greenlaw wrote:... wish Moho allowed me to keyframe bone visibilty
Ditto. I'd actually love it if you could re-rig on the fly, but visibility would work too.