BVH composite animation

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jahnocli

BVH composite animation

Post by jahnocli »

This is a composite animation which uses SimplSam's bvh script:

It's fairly obvious I had to fudge a few parts, but I was keen to start experimenting! (It's not my character, just something I found on the internet).
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
chucky

Re: BVH composite animation

Post by chucky »

Haha, it's a bit quick but it illustrates perfectly how performance capture can translate into 2d, really sneakily. I mean you really can't see that this is driven.
I would prefer that the head was either layer bound with no stretch at all, or had exaggerated squash and stretch scaling.
If I had time right now I would be doing the same, I'm seriously thinking about setting up a little Kinect 2/ ipi or brekel situation, if this technique is really both effective and fast.
If you imported that with a longer lens further away camera , would that head size variation de less extreme, with the script?
Did you notice that Jahnocli ?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Thanks! Yes, there are a few things that need fixing, but it was just a .bvh file I downloaded from the net. I just wanted to get something out there. I just thought there was some nice contrast between the subject and the delicate handling of the bone! No Kinect stuff -- I think you'd have to be very careful to exaggerate gestures if you used mocap, otherwise the animation could look kinda lifeless.
(The head *IS* layer bound, by the way).
Experimenting with a boxer at the moment, This technique raises a lot of issue which need different solutions -- I'm just experimenting and having fun...
chucky

Post by chucky »

Well I love it, the subtly and humour you CAN get in this type of performance is unequalled really. I think it is an area so unexplored ( 2d mocap) that is has been written off by many (animators) before getting a chance to see what chops it can do. As you say a specific sensibility to the acting in regard to character has to be taken in to consideration in the performance. Obviously a spin kick isn't where to start, but maybe some stooge like slapstip would be a good test.
I can see many pitfalls , but a real possibility of rising out above the mistakes we have seen in this area from the past, I'm thinking about those creepy Clutch Cargo 'cartoons with the superimposed lips ( strictly nothing like mocap but I think that's what might be in people's minds).
How much should the actor over and/or underperform action? Some good cleanup routines to smooth and sharpen would be very helpful also. I don't see this as a lazy option so much as possibly very effect, but experimentation has to happen, please keep me in the loop eh?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

chucky wrote:... keep me in the loop eh?
Glad to, chucky, you've been very generous with your time and expertise in the past, I'd love to give something back. Like you, I think 2D mocap is a huge unexplored area. Yeah, I've seen some Clutch Cargo extracts *shiver*...and I hope it never comes to that! There's so many different facets to this process -- I'm sure it's going to take a while to even master the basics...I'll post whenever I do something I like!