New short: One Minute Fly - Sweets

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

omf

New short: One Minute Fly - Sweets

Post by omf »

So the last time I posted a One Minute Fly short here was some time ago in 2015. Now there's finally a new one of which I'm very happy about. It's called 'Sweets' and it shows that life can be so sweet, but also very bitter. Enjoy :) and please let me know what you think. Did you like it? Do you have any suggestions about future shorts with this fly? Of course I have lots of other ideas that I'd like to turn into new animations, but I always like to know if there is something that pops up in your head immediately when you think of that character? Thank you :wink:

synthsin75

Re: New short: One Minute Fly - Sweets

Post by synthsin75 »

Very good. Nice pay off at the end.
nikboy21

Post by nikboy21 »

Stunning.. Top work.. How much time did it take to make this alone? Also some work flow video will surely be appreciated.. Thanks :D
puzzles shum

Post by puzzles shum »

this is great work hope i get as good as this. how did you do the text that goes with the film
mrmoi2000

Post by mrmoi2000 »

Yeah, this is really great. Lots of personality and very well animated. Great style too.
omf

Post by omf »

Thank you for your comments. I highly appreciate them :D

@nikboy21: If I sum it up it took me around a full month (5 days a week) to make the whole film. However I worked on it around three months because I had to make some freelance work next to it. The workflow video is a good idea. I'll keep that in mind for sometime in the future :wink:

The short answer about my workflow is like this:
1. Write the script. I can really recommend the book "how to write for animation" from Jeffrey Scott. Although it's not the newest one, there are some very good techniques and insights that helped me a lot.
2. Make a rough and fast storyboard unless you have the final story layed out completely. I also made a rough floor plan of the room.
3. Choose the music. It was very important in this case to find a music that has the right feel and rhythm to the story so I could cut the animatic according to it. And sometimes the music gave me more ideas about the characters expression in certain scenes. Audiojungle was a great resource.
4. Make an animatic. I made the animatic just with the storyboard frames and the music and didn't add further sounds at this point, so it had the feel of a silent film.
5. Create the characters. The main character already existed. With the rest I tend to sketch them out (also color sketches), but only so much that I can build them in Moho.
6. Rig the characters.
7. Animate scene by scene according to the animatic. Some scenes became shorter some longer when I made the final timing of the animation in Moho. In the animatic you would have to guess the timing anyway. But I made sure to stay to the rhythm of the music. The props I usually build when I got to the scenes where they were needed in.
8. Make backgrounds. I tried to use simple backgrounds and put them directly into the Moho scene. Or build the backgrounds in Moho then export them to Photoshop, give them the brushy feel and then put them back into Moho.
9. Compositing. Animate backgrounds and characters so they fit each other. Mostly for moving backgrounds like in the last scene.
10. Cut. For the cut I used Hitfilm Express. It's like Adobe Premiere, but completely free. I export the animation from Moho as image sequences and put them on top of the cut storyboard images from the Animatic.
11. Add the countdown of the fly. Once I have the final cut I know when each second of the flies countdown has to appear. So I revisit the animation files (again), add the countdown and then export them (again) and put them (again) into the cutting software.
12. Add sounds. Recorded them by myself or used them from my existing sound library. I use Audacity for recording and editing.
13. Add credits
14. Render
Hope that helps :wink:

@puzzles shum: Do you mean the countdown? All the texts you see in the film were made in Photoshop first and then imported to Moho as PNG files.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask ;)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Fantastic animation and timing. Thanks for sharing it!
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
puzzles shum

Post by puzzles shum »

omf wrote:Thank you for your comments. I highly appreciate them :D

@nikboy21: If I sum it up it took me around a full month (5 days a week) to make the whole film. However I worked on it around three months because I had to make some freelance work next to it. The workflow video is a good idea. I'll keep that in mind for sometime in the future :wink:

1. Write the script. I can really recommend the book "how to write for animation" from Jeffrey Scott. Although it's not the newest one, there are some very good techniques and insights that helped me a lot.
2. Make a rough and fast storyboard unless you have the final story layed out completely. I also made a rough floor plan of the room.
3. Choose the music. It was very important in this case to find a music that has the right feel and rhythm to the story so I could cut the animatic according to it. And sometimes the music gave me more ideas about the characters expression in certain scenes. Audiojungle was a great resource.
4. Make an animatic. I made the animatic just with the storyboard frames and the music and didn't add further sounds at this point, so it had the feel of a silent film.
5. Create the characters. The main character already existed. With the rest I tend to sketch them out (also color sketches), but only so much that I can build them in Moho.
6. Rig the characters.
7. Animate scene by scene according to the animatic. Some scenes became shorter some longer when I made the final timing of the animation in Moho. In the animatic you would have to guess the timing anyway. But I made sure to stay to the rhythm of the music. The props I usually build when I got to the scenes where they were needed in.
8. Make backgrounds. I tried to use simple backgrounds and put them directly into the Moho scene. Or build the backgrounds in Moho then export them to Photoshop, give them the brushy feel and then put them back into Moho.
9. Compositing. Animate backgrounds and characters so they fit each other. Mostly for moving backgrounds like in the last scene.
10. Cut. For the cut I used Hitfilm Express. It's like Adobe Premiere, but completely free. I export the animation from Moho as image sequences and put them on top of the cut storyboard images from the Animatic.
11. Add the countdown of the fly. Once I have the final cut I know when each second of the flies countdown has to appear. So I revisit the animation files (again), add the countdown and then export them (again) and put them (again) into the cutting software.
12. Add sounds. Recorded them by myself or used them from my existing sound library. I use Audacity for recording and editing.
13. Add credits
14. Render

@puzzles shum: Do you mean the countdown? All the texts you see in the film were made in Photoshop first and then imported to Moho as PNG files.

i o dont have Photoshop i have a movie software that has intros but their in wmv i can convert it in mp4. can i convert mp4 into PNG file you can only import one video file into moho 12 student version.
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

Amazing work! Terrific animation, and your timing is immaculate.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

puzzles shum wrote:

6. Rig the characters.
13. Add credits
14. Render

i o dont have Photoshop i have a movie software that has intros but their in wmv i can convert it in mp4. can i convert mp4 into PNG file you can only import one video file into moho 12 student version.
Gimp (free) to replace Photoshop

Handbrake (free) to convert wmv into mp4

Dale
puzzles shum

Post by puzzles shum »

dueyftw wrote:
puzzles shum wrote:

6. Rig the characters.
13. Add credits
14. Render

Gimp (free) to replace Photoshop

Handbrake (free) to convert wmv into mp4

Dale
thanks for the help are you using moho pro,can you rely make a full cartoon film just using the student version
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

thanks for the help are you using moho pro,can you rely make a full cartoon film just using the student version
I have Pro.

If you have debut you can make long animations by adding them together.

If you need just a folder to keep layers organized, you can use a bone layer.

Dale
puzzles shum

Post by puzzles shum »

dueyftw wrote:
I have Pro.

Dale
i been trying to add scenes together. all i get is my characters over lapping one another and its just be mes
omf

Post by omf »

puzzles shum wrote:
dueyftw wrote:
I have Pro.

Dale
i been trying to add scenes together. all i get is my characters over lapping one another and its just be mes
I usually animate every scene in a seperate Moho file, then export them as PNG sequence and import the sequence into the cutting software where I put the whole film together. Imo that keeps the whole project a lot more organized and doesn't take too much CPU when there is a lot of animation going on in the scene.

Regarding to your previous question about how to convert mp4 to PNG I found this video: https://youtu.be/V4kPKkpzYh4
It uses the free software Blender to do that, if you wanna go there.

And thank you everyone for the motivating comments! :)
puzzles shum

Post by puzzles shum »

thanks for your help