Skeletal fbf of character on 2's then 1's

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sargumphigaus

Skeletal fbf of character on 2's then 1's

Post by sargumphigaus »

Mapping out with stick figures. Trying to decide if 2's are better or 1's. with 1's I definitely have the quick motions down, but of course, anticipations are a little iffy. 2's kind of look good. Hard to tell. Hopefully I can overcome my own issues with actually providing meet to these bones. I now have a firm hand on the style system so yeah. I think that's what's been holding me back for so long. I mean, I avoided it for as long as I could.

synthsin75

Re: Skeletal fbf of character on 2's then 1's

Post by synthsin75 »

On 2's looks good, but on 1's looks more like your usual style. The only exception is that on 1's it isn't as clear when he grabs his jacket, so it reads more like a flag than clothing. Might give that bit another beat to read.

Great to hear you've got a handle on styles.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I think you are misunderstanding the concept. If I understand well, the animation is the same in both cases, but it runs faster on 1s.
Animating on 1s or 2s is more about fluidity, rather than speed. Some actions works better on 2s, other on 1s, but for a comparison you need both running at the same speed.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

you're absolutely right. I think I'll stick with 2's on this guy. If I want the motions to be quick, I can always just make the transition to the next frame more dramatic. I'll need to practice/experiment more to get that down. 1's work for this character because in concept, he's going to inherit a lot of insect like qualities, specifically that of a cockroach or a spider, and their motions are almost mechanically precise and quick. He's a filthy man, this character, his shadow is actually made out of crawling cockroaches...and I still don't know how i'm going to do it. hahahahahaha, but I have every confidence that I'll figure something out.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Nice animation! I like the slower version between these two choices. But the beauty of working on twos is that you have the freedom to set individual frames with a duration of one frame instead of two. That way your quicker movements can still read well (there are enough frames to define the action) and the variety should make it look more dynamic. So you could do most of it on twos, but for instance if it feels too slow when he pulls out the cylinder (log?) to sit on, one or two of those frames could be set to last for only one frame.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I think it's important for you to understand what Victor has said... your action is twice as fast on 1's which isn't what this is all about.

Essentially, on 1s, to have the same amount of screen time for the action, you need to create twice as many frames as you would on 2s. This is why traditionally 2's were used... to save double the workload! so using 1's on certain parts where 2s don't read well (fast actions you don't want held for a frame) but generally 2's should be enough and have a less computer-tween look.

It's impossible to compare the two examples in your video - only you can decide how fast you want the action to be. your first example is 4 seconds long, your second example is 2 seconds long. Both could be animated on 1s OR 2s, the question is how fast you want the action to be which isn't what you're asking us :)

fwiw, I think the action looks better in your first example, the speed is more what you'd expect. example two looks like its in fast forward ;)
Bossco

Post by Bossco »

Use both if you want and mix them both in the same animation.
Use 2s for slower parts of the animation and use 1s for the snappier bits.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

you're absolutely right. I'll pick and chose, but essentially, yes on the 1's it looks more fluid, but also in fastforward, which is distracting. I was just experimenting the whole time either way. I've been doing 2's all these years, and I think it's far more worthwhile. If I want to make things quicker, I'll just use a smear...which I love doing. No really, you have no idea how much I love smears. I am addicted to smears.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

The point is 1's shouldn't look quicker, they should look smoother during fast actions because you are doubling your in betweens. 1s or 2s has nothing to do with the intended speed of the action.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

Well anyways, all that aside, let me show you just how truly crappy of an artist I am. I filled in the stick figure from earlier and uh...there we go.

sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

funksmaname wrote:The point is 1's shouldn't look quicker, they should look smoother during fast actions because you are doubling your in betweens. 1s or 2s has nothing to do with the intended speed of the action.

and yes, I believe we're on the same page now. Thanks for the tip. Always willing to listen to people who know their stuff. Me, I'm just playing it all by ear.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Don't be hard on yourself, it has a good energy . Great to see enthusiasm for the FBF. Can't wait to see what's next