Motion Graphics in v11

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

funksmaname

Motion Graphics in v11

Post by funksmaname »

I made this today and thought I'd share - this is the first time I've done something commercial in v11 and I love it!

layer references are a godsend! I couldn't have done this without layer references. I managed to create quite complex masking effects I couldn't have achieved any other way.

EDIT: MORE DETAILED INFO BELOW...

The colour effects are done almost entirely with the new 'colour points' feature.
The play button is extruded with 3D for the spin to give it some depth, and then cloned on top with the 3D turned off to add highlights (See 'play button' and sublayers).
The 'transparent' effect of the file is made with a clone of the play button (play button front) which is being masked by a clone of the ribbon. There's no way I could have done any of this in previous versions!!

One of the coolest things is that the entire film strip animation is created LINEAR inside a fairly long Smart Bone - then, the smart bone is rotated using a bezier curve to actually time the animation - the film comes out fast and then slows down as it finished, but the actual animation was created completely uniformly and now if I want to tweak any of the timing/easing I just do it on the single bone!

The holes add to the mask, inside that folder is 18 layers holding squares (maybe i could have done it in one :/) - they all follow a path but needed their relative positions and shapes/sizes manually tweaked.

If you have any comments or questions, please leave them below ;)
Last edited by funksmaname on Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
ThatsNotAllFolks

Re: Motion Graphics in v11

Post by ThatsNotAllFolks »

Very very nice work!!!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Thanks TNAF :)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Fantastic work. It's hard to see exactly how it works, but I have been using references for complex masking and as "null" objects and they work awesomely. It's difficult to explain how much references expand the way we can work with AS. I we don't understand how powerful it can be until we find a project almost impossible to make in previous versions.
Thank you for sharing it!
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

That's beautiful work, well done!
I have to study your ref and masking setup a little harder to understand though.
Thanks for sharing!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Thanks guys,
yeah - it really is hard to realise how much of a difference things make until you actually need to do a real project. It just felt natural and simple to solve the puzzles I set for myself, and all the way thinking "wow, previous versions were really limited in this respect".

Ulric, this might help:

effectively, when you put 'clear mask and add this' it restarts masking from that layer up.
the lines indicate the parents of the references.
The top layer i grayed out wasn't doing anything :P

The reason I needed the holes to be individual is because each one follows the same path - if i created them all as a single set they all would have waved up and down (i would have had to animate each hole to the next manually, which may not have taken any longer... just another way of doing it :P)

The blue play button is the layer 'Transparent effect' at the top of the layers - it is masked by the top ribbon which sits above the unmasked play button

The ribbons animation was really simple, the front and back were fixed in position, and a rectangular(ish) mask swept across one and then across the other to make it look like the ribbon animated - in conjunction with the moving holes this gives the flying ribbon effect but is quite simple to create.

the line going off the left side you can see (unmarked) is a line i used to add the dark shadow to the bottom ribbon (using the new point colouring feature, the line is part of the bottom ribbons fill object) - it animates across as the top ribbon is revealed to add the darker shading.
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

These types of project breakdowns are soooo helpful. I'm really looking forward to trying some of this out, another month about until I'm done with my latest (next month will be 2 years since I started it (Yikes) but am sticking with Debut 6 until I get it done, then I'm off to the races with AS Pro. I always look forward to seeing this stuff explained, as it gives fuel to creative possibilities.

Thanks

LY
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

YW LY ;) :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Remarkably simple technique and great results.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Thanks for explaining the masking, I have to make an example with this setup my self.
Really helpful! :)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Thanks Synth/Ulrik :)