Daily routine

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cableon

Re: Daily routine

Post by cableon »

Hey hey, sorry escroscarrow for the long time to answer.

As for « controlling switch layers with bones », I actually applied the « smooth joint for bone pair » script (which I think is only available in ASP 10 and 11) to every bitmap sublayer of a switch layer folder, not to the switch layer folder itself — which took my slow brains a while to find out. :)

To sum it up quickly :
1°) your switch layer is placed in a bone layer,
2°) the bone layer controls every switch sublayer (bitmaps), not the switch layer folder itself
3°) a single bone layer allows you to control a bunch of switch layers (or actually their sublayers), exactly the same way it would with regular bitmap / vector layers
4°) and it can include smart bones as well of course.

That little « tweak » implies a lot more work than rigging a single bitmap layer of course, or applying noise settings to a single vector layer, yet it helped me get a lot closer to the effect that I aimed — reproduce the natural « jiggle » of handmade, 12fps frame-by-frame animation, yet with distinct, controllable elements.

My former works, Strider2000, were indeed mainly drawn on a lightboard, melding backgrounds and foregrounds in a same hand-drawn image — very crafty, very satisfying, yet very long to make, and modifying a sequence implied re-drawing/re-scanning/re-sequencing it entirely, not to speak of colorization…

(There's more here)

The heavy aspects of the "lightboard method" have led me to concentrate on learning vectorial animation for over a year and a half now, still including handmade frame-to-frame elements in certain sequences at times, out of frustration : I was looking for a balance between both approaches, sometimes getting desperate not to be able to draw a lot more… that until ASP11 and its own « direct-to-screen », frame-by-frame option came out at last — you can’t imagine my relief. :D

As heavy as the above « switch layer method » may be however, it at least gives you control of every separate element and allows you to modify a sequence without having to redo it entirely. I now see it as a kind of comical / herculean transition between the old-school, « lightboard method » and the current « direct-to-screen » frame-by-frame one… :) I did use the lightboard to animate the various gestures & positions of the yellow kid in the laundry sequence, nonetheless. And as for the blinking dude in the same washing machine sequence, his eyelids are simply bitmap layers animated with a smart bone, just the basic stuff. :)

Anyway thanks for your feedback Strider2000! :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

escrowarrow wrote:I mean controlling switch layers with bones
I think smart bone control of switches was added in either 9.2 or 9.5.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

cableon wrote:As heavy as the above « switch layer method » may be however, it at least gives you control of every separate element and allows you to modify a sequence without having to redo it entirely. I now see it as a kind of comical / herculean transition between the old-school, « lightboard method » and the current « direct-to-screen » frame-by-frame one…
I agree. I used to use a lightbox and draw on paper until I finally got a Cintiq. I still love the feel of pencil on paper, but it's wonderful to be able to draw directly on the screen. And ... even using AS 10 I was preferring to draw in a bitmap program and import psd rather than draw by vectors. Maybe that's just because of what I knew about at the time or was used to, but with AS 11 (and of course chucky's tutorials :)) I'm really feeling much more willing/able to draw directly in Anime Studio. But I also love the improvements to psd import giving me the freedom to work either in vectors or bitmap.

There's no doubt that the great work of everyone on this forum is a huge learning platform and inspiration. :D

Thanks for sharing your videos and experiences.
cableon

Post by cableon »

Hi everyone,
Just a little nothing, made right after finishing an illo there :

Also available there among a bunch of tests & snippets.

Have a nice day!
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

cableon wrote:Hi everyone,
Just a little nothing, made right after finishing an illo there :

Also available there among a bunch of tests & snippets.

Have a nice day!
Are those 'chemtrails' in the sky?
Cheers, Larry
cableon

Post by cableon »

Haha! well I'd rather say they're *contrails* if you ask me, but your question had me check whether I'd added 'chemtrails' as a joke in the Tumblr hashtags. ;)

There already were vapor trails in a previous music video, as I sometimes find them quite beautiful.

(Cf 0'30" approx)

(That one was already made with Anime Studio Pro by the way, and you can see the work in progress here.)
cableon

Post by cableon »

I am not angry. Not angry at all.

Neither is he.

However it is better with sound.

(And this little gif is also available there too, along with other stuff and snippets.)
cableon

Post by cableon »

Something new here. ;)
cableon

Post by cableon »

Sketch bones + additive cycles + animated gif export : nice move, Anime Studio!

cableon

Post by cableon »

Additive cycles are magic.

(cf here)