Super Fat To Slinky Thin

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Spence

Super Fat To Slinky Thin

Post by Spence »

Hello this is first time I've ever tried using Moho, and it's got that wow factor. I'm kind of new to animation, I've played a bit with 3dmax and flash but could never get what my mind could see onto the screen. Moho has made this a little easier though and thank god for bones. Flash was beginning to do my head in!
Anyway I'm making another animation in moho at the moment and I can see myself improving.
Thought that I'd show you my first short animation then, its about a retired dinnerlady called Flo who has weight issues.
I've compressed it loads as i'm only on dailup so sorry for the crap quality.
I'd appreciate any ideas on improvement etc.
Thanks
Spence
http://spensir.tripod.com/Flo.html

I've noticed that my computer doesn't download all the animation, only the start. It should be about 3 and a half mins long. Don't understand why? Hope it works for anyone trying :shock:
Why does rendering take so long?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Some nice characterisations, and you've got a talent for story-telling, but the soundtrack was almost inaudible, which kind of spoilt it for me. The soundtrack is obviously important, and I missed most of it. Great first short though.

To improve it, I'd work on having one or two more angles per scene -- try to make it more cinematic, and less theatrical. Loved the different "cam" shots in monochrome - very funny! Thought the parrot could have featured a little more, too, breaking up the constant viewing of Flo.

Well done! Keep 'em coming!

J
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Spence

Post by Spence »

Cheers jahnocli. Thanks for the tips I'll have them in mind when animating my next short. Sorry for the audio but I had to compress it so much, down to 3mb. I'll make a new web-site soon and start paying for server space instead of joining free ones. I'll then be able to have better quality movies.
Thanks again!
Spence
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Consider OurMedia.org. They're free and will always be free and give you unlimited bandwidth and filesize, plus RSS 2.0 feed and blog to accompany your media files.
T

Post by T »

I enjoyed this very authentic documentary-style cartoon. The audio was a bit low on voices, but I just turned up the volume and no problem.

Keep it up!
"T"
------------------------------------------------
One who makes no mistakes, never makes anything.

www.flyingmcdavidbros.com
Nolan Scott

Post by Nolan Scott »

Well, this is excellent -
I really enjoyed the storyline
and the individual style of your artwork.

Cheers
Nolan
Spence

Post by Spence »

Thanks Rasheed. I've checked out OurMedia and it looks really handy!

Thanks also to Mr T and Nolan. I feel a bit better in myself now :twisted:

Cheers Spence
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Wow, this is your first animation??? I love the story, and the character of Flo!

Except for the minor audio issues, it seemed quite advanced for a first-timer. There were a lot of little details that made it work well for me, such as the steam coming off the tea. It was just a little thing, but it wasn't overwhelming like "hey, I'm a particle effect, look at me!", it was just a small special effect and it worked well. I also liked the textures on the wall, and also on Flo's hair. It made the whole thing feel "richer" and gave the animation more depth. I also liked how you mixed photographs of real elements in with the animation, particularly in the kitchen when Flo walks behind the chair.

I too liked the B&W hidden cam "reality show" aspects, and would too have liked to see more of the parrot, maybe have the parrot give more away of Flo's weaknesses? Just an idea.

Oh, and the "bingo wings" line cracked me up!!!! I about fell out of my chair. Is that a standard UK-ism?

Did you use bones to animate Flo's bouncing boobs? That cracked me up too!

The only suggestion that I would have, is that when you start to fade to black at the end of the scene, the animation of the character should suddenly stop, it needs to keep going as the fade is going on.

Very nice job indeed, and please share your future works here as well.

jorgy
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

Uhh... Did i already say "i like your drawing style"? :wink: