Composted Music video: Sausage Cathedral

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sargumphigaus

Composted Music video: Sausage Cathedral

Post by sargumphigaus »

Against my better judgement, I'm going to let my pride get the better of me, and expose you all to my newest animated accomplishment. This is a music video for my cousins band Composted. It's called Sausage Cathedral.

This isn't safe for work, so if you're at the office, save it for when you get home. There is violence, nudity, gore, and excrement. The music is gutteral deathmetal which i have to assume 99% of you will not find appealing in the least. so feel free to mute the video and just appreciate it for it's animated grimness. The animation is 100 percent AS, using switchlayers and tweening. There is a bone rig somewhere in there, but it's used on a jpeg to establish a hallucinogenic tripping sensation. yeah, evidently if you bone rig a jpeg, it does all sorts of interesting things.

anyways...i can't seem to imbed the video. so here's just the youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gMgXfw ... e=youtu.be
Artpen

Re: Composted Music video: Sausage Cathedral

Post by Artpen »

Great work, grim, but effective, well done!
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

sargumphigaus wrote:This isn't safe for work, so if you're at the office, save it for when you get home. There is violence, nudity, gore, and excrement.
Thanks for the warning as I am at work and although their policies on violence, nudity, and gore are quite lax they have a zero tolerance excrement rule.
~Danimal
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

Danimal wrote:Thanks for the warning as I am at work and although their policies on violence, nudity, and gore are quite lax they have a zero tolerance excrement rule.
I was thinking of you Danimal ya stud you ;) when I threw that warning in there. I recall in the past you mentioning that you comment and critique from at work.
drichird

Post by drichird »

Watching some of the beautiful animations out there is like gliding on a gondola through the canals of Venice, beautiful graceful architecture, romance, the moon reflecting off the shimmering waters with the gondolier's soft singing behind you...

...and then there is this...

...bouncing up and down on the back of a large Panzer plowing through house walls and barbed wire trenches, ear shattering explosions and burning buildings reflecting off the pools of blood flowing from heaps of bodies with screams frozen on their faces...

I love it! It's brutal, raw, gritty, jittery, and I thought the music was great and animation and music complemented and augmented each other perfectly. Watched it several times, every time I catch new little tricks and visuals because they come at you in such an overwhelming volcano of images. Among the very many great things, a funny break from relentless visual onslaught with the little business charts "shortage of sausages" leading to the end of the sausage fest. Very very cool how some of the monster characters move like spiders like at 0:11-0:16 (reminds me of Kayako in "The Grudge") and especially the parts where they morph from one shape into another such as at 0:33-0:35 and 1:40-1:44 and the look on the Sausage Cathedral worshiper's face looking at the stained glass 01:14 to 01:17 and the dance of the sausage Goddess 01:18 - 01:21. There is almost too much good stuff here to go into without writing an analysis paper. You must have put a LOT of work into this one.

Keep up the great work, and wondering if this were submitted as an academic art project how many campuses would be calling security after viewing this !!! :D
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

It's a ripoff of 'Mary had a little Lamb.' Your going to get sued.

Lots of flash to the timing of the 'song?' Good.

Too much reuse of the same elements.

Just my opinion.

Dale
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

dueyftw wrote:It's a ripoff of 'Mary had a little Lamb.' Your going to get sued.

Lots of flash to the timing of the 'song?' Good.

Too much reuse of the same elements.

Just my opinion.

Dale
I do reuse some cycles here and there, but I think it conveys the madness reasonably so. Are you referring to the A: the ski mask guy killing both the security guard and the sausage messiah with the exact same cycle Or B: the lead up to the guitar solo? I was running low on time. It is a valid point though. We could chock that up as laziness.
drichird wrote:Watching some of the beautiful animations out there is like gliding on a gondola through the canals of Venice, beautiful graceful architecture, romance, the moon reflecting off the shimmering waters with the gondolier's soft singing behind you...

...and then there is this...

...bouncing up and down on the back of a large Panzer plowing through house walls and barbed wire trenches, ear shattering explosions and burning buildings reflecting off the pools of blood flowing from heaps of bodies with screams frozen on their faces...

I love it! It's brutal, raw, gritty, jittery, and I thought the music was great and animation and music complemented and augmented each other perfectly. Watched it several times, every time I catch new little tricks and visuals because they come at you in such an overwhelming volcano of images. Among the very many great things, a funny break from relentless visual onslaught with the little business charts "shortage of sausages" leading to the end of the sausage fest. Very very cool how some of the monster characters move like spiders like at 0:11-0:16 (reminds me of Kayako in "The Grudge") and especially the parts where they morph from one shape into another such as at 0:33-0:35 and 1:40-1:44 and the look on the Sausage Cathedral worshiper's face looking at the stained glass 01:14 to 01:17 and the dance of the sausage Goddess 01:18 - 01:21. There is almost too much good stuff here to go into without writing an analysis paper. You must have put a LOT of work into this one.

Keep up the great work, and wondering if this were submitted as an academic art project how many campuses would be calling security after viewing this !!! :D
HAHAHAHAHA.

Rest assured, I am ugly down to my core. I couldn't make a pretty piece of art even if a genocidal alien race holding a killswitch for all of humanity demanded me to. Instead of despairing over my inability to paint the gondola gently drifting down the channels of Venice, I figured I would just embrace the panzer and let the world cower before my visual neurosis.

You put that extremely well.

If this were an academic achievement, they'd expel me for sure.

Thanks for the comments.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I do reuse some cycles here and there, but I think it conveys the madness reasonably so. Are you referring to the A: the ski mask guy killing both the security guard and the sausage messiah with the exact same cycle Or B: the lead up to the guitar solo? I was running low on time. It is a valid point though. We could chock that up as laziness.
Changes to the backgrounds and minor changes to the character will make the repeats not to seem as laziness. In the beginning you had character go under an arch. Then where? A simple story arc of character travels to store, meet girl (same character with female looks), has kid, and kid dose something revolting, all mixed in with cuts of the main cycling of the killing. And of course all of it taking a dump in time with the music.
This is only one story arc, I'm sure you can come up with a better.
Dale
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

sargumphigaus wrote:In the beginning you had character go under an arch. Then where?
That arc was actually a bridge. The idea is that they're all recently unemployed losers living under a bridge, like bums.
sargumphigaus wrote:Changes to the backgrounds and minor changes to the character will make the repeats not to seem as laziness.
that's a very good point. The video has been finalized and submitted to the band. I'll keep that in mind for my next project.
sargumphigaus wrote:A simple story arc of character travels to store, meet girl (same character with female looks), has kid, and kid dose something revolting, all mixed in with cuts of the main cycling of the killing. And of course all of it taking a dump in time with the music.
I don't understand what you're saying.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

sargumphigaus wrote:
sargumphigaus wrote:In the beginning you had character go under an arch. Then where?
That arc was actually a bridge. The idea is that they're all recently unemployed losers living under a bridge, like bums.
sargumphigaus wrote:Changes to the backgrounds and minor changes to the character will make the repeats not to seem as laziness.
that's a very good point. The video has been finalized and submitted to the band. I'll keep that in mind for my next project.
sargumphigaus wrote:A simple story arc of character travels to store, meet girl (same character with female looks), has kid, and kid dose something revolting, all mixed in with cuts of the main cycling of the killing. And of course all of it taking a dump in time with the music.
I don't understand what you're saying.
Just living under a bridge is not a story.
Living under a bridge and getting kick out from under the bridge several time by a cop, then the cop becomes homeless and joins them is a story arc.
Look, I'm not out to be putting you down for what you are doing, I just giving my point a view.

Dale
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

sargumphigaus wrote:Look, I'm not out to be putting you down for what you are doing, I just giving my point a view.
fair enough.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

So, every time the seasons change my dreams become extremely intense, complex and have incredibly coherent story lines. This lasts for several weeks.

I am now very scared to go to sleep after watching this. :)

This has an incredible grasp of the nature of dreams and nightmares. The fast paced movement and changes has an amazing dream like quality. Amazing job. I can't wait to see this on VH1. ;)

p.s. Didn't see or simply didn't notice the repeating of sequences. Considering that type of thing has been done for decades I wouldn't knock off points even if I did notice it. I can remember television programs done in the 80's that reused sequences all the time (watch reruns of The A-Team or 6 Million Dollar Man). Story line? Story line? In a music video like this? Ha ha. This had a better story line than some million dollar movies or even TV shows (once again... A-Team, 6 Million Dollar Man ;) ). It scared the pants off me, won't be able to sleep for a few days. ;)
ianmage1

Post by ianmage1 »

heyvern wrote:Didn't see or simply didn't notice the repeating of sequences. Considering that type of thing has been done for decades I wouldn't knock off points even if I did notice it. I can remember television programs done in the 80's that reused sequences all the time (watch reruns of The A-Team or 6 Million Dollar Man). Story line? Story line? In a music video like this? Ha ha. This had a better story line than some million dollar movies or even TV shows (once again... A-Team, 6 Million Dollar Man ;) ). It scared the pants off me, won't be able to sleep for a few days. ;)
I felt the same way. I never noticed any repetition, and I wasn't even looking for a story line. To me, this seemed more reminiscent of an experimental animation--done very well--capturing the feel of a nightmare, which, in my opinion, is a great feat with or without a story. I like it!
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1
Majoring in computer science doesn't leave much time for animation...
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

sargumphigaus wrote:
sargumphigaus wrote:Look, I'm not out to be putting you down for what you are doing, I just giving my point a view.
fair enough.
See, the posts above, not everyone agrees with me, :)

Dale
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

dueyftw wrote:See, the posts above, not everyone agrees with me, :)
it's hard to decipher tone through text alone, so you'll forgive me if i misinterpret here. I feel like I'm detecting some tension, maybe some defensiveness. I just want to clear the air and make it known that I don't mind you sharing your opinion, be it for the post or against it. it doesn't bother me in the least so don't sweat it. If i couldn't handle the criticism, i wouldn't post anything. Personally, I'm just happy that you watched it and took the time to share your thoughts, so thanks buddy. :D