Switch Layer issue

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

msmart

Switch Layer issue

Post by msmart »

Regarding the homeless ape with the sign,, I thought I could make 4 layers right turn , left turn , walk left cycle , and walk right cycle. Drop them in a switch layer and make duplicates to create an infinite number of back and forth cycles . As it turned out I had to tweek each turnaround on the X axis then position the keys on time line to synchronize with each new turn.To further complicate matters to make a smoother turn I had to make more layers like right walk finish , right turn start etc and then there are the sub layers like the sign , the text a face and ear mask.
Sounded easy to me but each turn around became a major project synchronizing all those layers. Theres gotta be a simpler way ?

Danimal

Re: Switch Layer issue

Post by Danimal »

Why is a monkey carrying a sign saying he'll work for bananas? No idea, but I like it! Hopefully he can get the bananas and scram before the monkey watching him on the bench takes them!

The ambient street noise really helped sell this. The traffic looked good, and the different people walking and even riding a bike were nice touches. The walk cycle was well done for the monkey. Something about the turns seemed very mechanical to me. Robotic, almost. There was no slowing before turning, just walk, sudden halt, turn. It was kind of distracting, though your process of using switch layers seems like it would have worked. Perhaps in the end you just plain had too many?
~Danimal
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

msmart wrote:I thought I could make 4 layers right turn , left turn , walk left cycle , and walk right cycle. Drop them in a switch layer and make duplicates to create an infinite number of back and forth cycles .
The entire ape sequence could be done with one or two rigs with actions, rather than having separate layers for each motion.
Pinesal

Post by Pinesal »

Actions is what I was thinking. Since actions can be combined, the transition between actions should be easier
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Frame by frame animation for the turns is another option. When the motion is complex like this with things rotating and changing depths, it's sometimes just easier to draw it out so that everything is based on the pose. Creating a rig first and then carefully adjusting everything into a pose strikes me as working backwards (although there are times when it makes sense).

You could draw it on paper using a light table and scan and ink it in AS or animate frame by frame in gimp/photoshop using layers to onion skin. You probably only need a few drawings for the turn and they don't even have to be rigged, just popped into a switch layer. Just a possibility, I know everyone has their own work flow.
drichird

Post by drichird »

I thought the monkey's head turn in the beginning where he turns to face us (without turning his whole body) whatever you did there worked well. The entire body turns and how the sign moves in his hands, did look a little funny and I wonder, as others have already mentioned, if maybe for a complex turn like that it might be better to just do frame by frame animation. It's something I've been struggling with myself a lot.

I liked the walk cycle for the monkey. I liked the art style and the traffic noise and the overall impression is good. Nice touch on all the background pedestrians, especially the bicycle. The 2 pedestrians walking from left to right one right behind the other are almost marching in step, it's more noticeable because all the pedestrians have the same body shape it might be good to make just a few small shape changes to some of them?? I noticed you did make sure to start the walk cycle for different pedestrians at different start times, another trick (not sure if you used it here) is to not only start the cycles at different times but vary the tempo of each one (some faster, some slower) that will ensure avoidance of the "marching in step" problem.

Great job keep up the good work !!!