Spinning Monkey Creature

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

msmart

Spinning Monkey Creature

Post by msmart »

The grass towards the end has a wiggling effect,I'm not sure why, all it is is a bunch of strokes. The wiggling grass ends at the end when replaced with an image of the same. I like the wiggling grass, however I would like to be able to have some control over it , any thoughts?

Danimal

Re: Spinning Monkey Creature

Post by Danimal »

msmart wrote:The wiggling grass ends at the end when replaced with an image of the same. I like the wiggling grass, however I would like to be able to have some control over it
The wiggling effect is an artifact of using brush strokes. I don't know of anyway to have control over it, it just sort of happens.

Very spacey video - the music got just a touch into the distorted stage from being too loud but otherwise interesting.
~Danimal
ddrake

Post by ddrake »

Well, this was strange. :)

Not really sure what to say... (and I'm a little worried about watching it too many times to figure out what to say, lest I become hypnotized and become the unwitting slave to the almighty Spinny Monkey.

Looks like you're experimenting with some gradient animation, and getting some interesting light movement effects. I can't tell if I'm bothered by the fact that it's so inconsistent and doesn't follow any kind of rules that real light would abide by. Or if that's what makes it "art." (I just keep staring at the pure black and white pillar that bugs me, and the fact that I'm almost certain I can see the "distant" ear through the monkey's head for several frames on each rotation)

... my apologies. i watched this again. it is clear to me now. this is the greatest animation i have ever seen.

@-o

-ddrake
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

The spinning is pretty decent, one of my criticisms lies in the lack of gravity. He's spinning, but there's no central center of gravity. When his foot rises up, it looks really good, but when they're both on the ground, he just kind of slides in place. Think about how a 2 legged creature would actually spin. There would be one leg stepping while the other spins.

The gradient light effect gives a siren like feel, and really creates a sense of danger or urgency for some reason. This is just me, so it's strictly a subjective observation. And that music really sets a somber and frightening mood. This is either just a happy go lucky monkey enjoying himself in a metallic gazebo, or he's the harbinger of the apocalypse and those buildings are actually the colonies of the last survivors of humanity.

That background looks really good. I like the watercolor look. I suspect that grass stroke effect might be clashing with eh position of the Jpeg image. (Assuming that background is made in another program) I've learned from experience that positioning a jpeg into your animation has a tendency to distort the file for some reason. If the effect really bothers you, try this. Instead of using the stroke for grass, try creating a thin shape for an individual blade of grass and remove the stroke entirely, then copy and paste it over and over again. I've done this a lot in the past and it worked for me.
msmart

Post by msmart »

Thank you so much for the observations, I fixed the ear ,cant believe I missed that. I'm turning the volume back and so far I have him spinning slowly to a stop picking up and launching a bird, him and his pavilion flying across the land through the air and a segway scene of flying birds swooping down to the post apocalyptic community living in the tube shaped structures. I am thinking I could re do the spinning effect and combining Selgin's Full Body Turn with Selgin's Remap effect to perfect the slowing and speeding up of the Monkey's spin and correcting the slide of his feet in the process to resemble a perfect pirouette. Unfortunately what I want to accomplish and the rate at which I produce it ,is light years away from my skill level. However for better or worse I have become the "unwitting slave to the Almighty Spinning Monkey" and for now am forbidden to leave him.