I'm A Fungi("fun-guy"): Decomposition

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ianmage1

Re: I'm A Fungi: Decomposition

Post by ianmage1 »

@ddrake Thank you.
My Frozen video has attracted some of the stupidest people on the internet. Most of them don't even bother to READ THE DESCRIPTION before viewing (they would have known that I made the animation before Frozen's release, which would explain the inaccuracies). Of course, there's always going to be the fools who think that one animation hobbyist can single-handedly compete with Disney... Some of them tell me to "find another hobby, you suck!" :roll: Then there's those pretentious "animation experts" who give me these fancy animation critiques, when they themselves have ZERO animation experience. Good Lord, I never thought that having a million views could be such a bad thing. I sure have gained a lot of subscribers though, so there's some good in it.

I've learned to ignore the hate comments; they could very-well be from a bunch of children... or child-like adults... :shock:
Little Yamori wrote:Just a quick question on the Frozen animation, how did you get permission to use the actual Disney soundtrack? I've thought about doing animation using copyrighted stuff as spoof etc in order to get more views, but didn't think Youtube would let something like the soundtrack slide without some sort of proof of of a pass.
I actually used a recording from a [sneak-peak] live performance of Idina Menzel at the D23 expo, not the actual copyrighted soundtrack (it wasn't even released yet). Even then, I couldn't monetize the video, because I had no proof that I created the audio. If I had used the actual copyrighted soundtrack, YouTube wouldn't have even allowed me to upload it without monetization.

On a side note, I was somewhat disappointed with Frozen; I thought the animation was great, the music decent, but the story... very weak. A lot of people are crazy about it though, which surprises me.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1
Majoring in computer science doesn't leave much time for animation...
ddrake

Post by ddrake »

ianmage1 wrote:On a side note, I was somewhat disappointed with Frozen; I thought the animation was great, the music decent, but the story... very weak. A lot of people are crazy about it though, which surprises me.
Well, at risk of sounding like an old "get off my lawn" guy, it's all very telling of the direction movies/television/storytelling in general, has(have?) been going for a while now. "We" demand less from the story and more from the visual "wow" factor.

Unfortunately from an animation standpoint it is nearly impossible to compete with "the wow factor" alone, be it against/for Disney or any other VFX company. And even then, THEY (individual animators, or specific-project companies-for-hire) can't compete "well" enough to retain jobs after the work is done.

It's unsettling that in an era with such high demand for VFX artists/animators, the compensation for bringing lines to life doesn't actually reward proportionately, and more unfortunate still, is that a lot stems from the opinions of the "stupidest people on the internet."

(though, I can assure you, out of a million, there are many more that are way, way, way....)

anyway...

On your side note, I think Frozen did what most people needed it to do... (nowadays)...

It had a charming cast, a catchy song, and what I think was an important twist end (in principal,) showcasing true-love ruling the day that defies the traditional Disney "man-saves-woman" standard.

That being said, I agree the overall story was weak. So weak that 1D, 2D, 3D, IMAX, 3D-IMAX-ice-stalagmites in your face! shouldn't distract you from the fact that these characters had minimal exposition development, fudged character "growth" and "coming of age" skipped over in montage, and wound up for the first time in action for a pointless errand that achieves not much more than "Well, I care and I tried and failed. But it will all probably play out fine in the end somehow."

And yet I did enjoy the film a lot... /shrug

Across the board I want to give credit where credit is due, and I think Frozen deserves its credit...

But you gotta ask yourself, will it stand up to "Aladdin,"... "Toy Story,"...

Could it possibly compete with my animated re-imagining of "Breaking Bad" starring Gilbert Gottfried as "The Meth"...?...

Well, I guess only time will tell...

:D
-ddrake
ddrake

Post by ddrake »

slowtiger wrote:It gives me an itch each time I read the title. One of them is a "fungus", plural "fungi".
That mushroom runs really nice.
Also, while I'm just ranting about everything. I love that post ^
-ddrake
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

I have to totally agree with you on the Frozen story being disappointing. When I saw the commercials, I thought it looked really weak, if not flat out dumb, but I sort of thought the same way about the Tangled commercials. For what it's worth I thought Tangled was brilliantly done. So when my kids wanted me to pick up the Frozen DVD after they had already seen and liked it, I thought, okay I'll give it a shot, and I was completely underwhelmed and thought it sort of sucked. My kids now actually changed their opinions of it too. We re-watched Tangled, and saw that Frozen basically ripped off a lot of themes from Tangled, including the self sacrificing ending. Now none of us can figure why Frozen is so popular in comparison to Tangled. Maybe it was just release timing and there was less out there to compete with it. Oh well
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

ianmage1 wrote:On a side note, I was somewhat disappointed with Frozen; I thought the animation was great, the music decent, but the story... very weak. A lot of people are crazy about it though, which surprises me.
Thank goodness I am not the only one left scratching my head a bit over the enormous popularity of Frozen. It was good, but not THAT good. I enjoyed Frozen. It was not completely disappointing, but I was expecting something more based the huge reviews. One thing that DID stand out was the amazing quality and effects.

To be clear, I am NOT a "get off my lawn" old fart when it comes to animated movies like this. I do tend to wait for them to hit the DVD or the download streaming market so I don't look like a sad loser going to the theater to watch a disney or Pixar flick without any kids. I am still a child at heart ;).
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

ianmage1 wrote:@ddrake Thank you.
My Frozen video has attracted some of the stupidest people on the internet. Most of them don't even bother to READ THE DESCRIPTION before viewing (they would have known that I made the animation before Frozen's release, which would explain the inaccuracies). Of course, there's always going to be the fools who think that one animation hobbyist can single-handedly compete with Disney... Some of them tell me to "find another hobby, you suck!" :roll: Then there's those pretentious "animation experts" who give me these fancy animation critiques, when they themselves have ZERO animation experience. Good Lord, I never thought that having a million views could be such a bad thing. I sure have gained a lot of subscribers though, so there's some good in it.

I've learned to ignore the hate comments; they could very-well be from a bunch of children... or child-like adults... :shock:
Little Yamori wrote:Just a quick question on the Frozen animation, how did you get permission to use the actual Disney soundtrack? I've thought about doing animation using copyrighted stuff as spoof etc in order to get more views, but didn't think Youtube would let something like the soundtrack slide without some sort of proof of of a pass.
I actually used a recording from a [sneak-peak] live performance of Idina Menzel at the D23 expo, not the actual copyrighted soundtrack (it wasn't even released yet). Even then, I couldn't monetize the video, because I had no proof that I created the audio. If I had used the actual copyrighted soundtrack, YouTube wouldn't have even allowed me to upload it without monetization.

On a side note, I was somewhat disappointed with Frozen; I thought the animation was great, the music decent, but the story... very weak. A lot of people are crazy about it though, which surprises me.

Still, it's an interesting way to attract a large number of eyes to look at the rest of your content. For better or worse. A view is a view, and the higher the number, the more likely people will look into it AND the rest of your work. Of course I have absolutely no evidence to back this claim up, and truth be told, I'm just tossing sociological assumptions.