Pitching to Nickelodeon and The cartoon network

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Danimal

Re: Pitching to Nickelodeon and The cartoon network

Post by Danimal »

Interesting. My quote from all those years ago still stands:
Danimal wrote:The video quality really was pretty bad. I only got two minutes in before I couldn't take it any more
The video is pixelated and very difficult to watch.
~Danimal
Scabiebabie

Post by Scabiebabie »

/
Last edited by Scabiebabie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scabiebabie

Post by Scabiebabie »

/
Last edited by Scabiebabie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Scabiebabie wrote:You would be a very bad person to work in an animation network
Is today a "non-medication" day?

I don't know about the animation or the story, the actual video quality itself was unwatchable. I don't know if it's your render or YouTube's compression, but either way, there's no sitting through this unless it's just to listen.
~Danimal
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Scabiebabie, Feel free to jump on me too. You burn a lot of bridges. Nobody is so good that they can disregard so many people. What happens IF you fail?
Cheers, Larry
Scabiebabie

Post by Scabiebabie »

/
Last edited by Scabiebabie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

I think it's best to move past the personal comments (on both sides) at this point as it pushes the discussion into flame territory. Clearly the pitch and video needs work. Following amigaman's lead, let's see what feedback we can give to improve it.

To wit: I think the Heather concept is more workable than the Scabie one, but it needs better execution. Surely after five years, you can improve the animation, but I'd suggest instead focusing on putting together a pitch bible. Hire a character designer and copywriter and have them package your ideas into a professional presentation (I only mention this because if you are able to attend these trade shows, I assume you can afford to hire talent). While artistic/animation talent is a benefit, the main quality of the producer is to know their property well, to be able to credibly answer the question, "Why should this be on TV?"

Despite all the drama, there is actually some good advice and lessons in this thread.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I assure you guys.... this is not a "real" discussion.

Scabiebabie has no desire for a real conversation. His behavior is either intentional for kicks, or due to some sort of psychological disability. My money is on "intentional".

p.s. Yes, I am a "jealousy jerk". I am jealous of his talent and envious of his success. I wish I had even a fraction of his story telling ability. I always attack talented people on this forum because it makes me feel better about myself. It's something I need to change. ;)
Scabiebabie

Post by Scabiebabie »

/
Last edited by Scabiebabie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I just watched the chronicles of heather & her monster. I agree with Neeters. If you want to pitch this to networks, refining the idea and designs will make a big difference. Then if you do decide to animate a pilot, I would shorten the story, maybe down to 11 minutes like an episode of Adventure Time or Steven Universe. And getting a convincing voice actor to voice Heather would make a huge difference. The other voices were fine. And I did like the song!

But I'm also unsure of your target audience with this story. Is it supposed to be a parody geared towards adults or is it a serious story of a heroic child geared toward children? The scenes featuring the FBI type guy might be too complex for children to understand or involve so many references to older cultural knowledge that children might not relate to it. The parts driven by Heather seem like you're trying to appeal to children, but I think there are a number of things that will make it hard for kids to connect with this.

In your video description you describe Heather as a hero. But she doesn't appear to have any motives compelling her to do the things she does and she is also gross (for example, picking her nose and feeding it to the alien). The only heroic quality I am seeing is that she is compassionate. I think we need more reason to like Heather from the beginning. You have a good opportunity to show what kind of character she is when she decides to investigate the meteorite. Just re-writing why she wants to investigate could make her much more appealing. Maybe she is very curious or very adventurous or maybe she wants to see if anyone needs help or maybe she thinks there are diamonds in the meteorite? Something that makes her seem like she is a real human being and is doing things for a reason.

Overall, I think it has potential, but focusing on refining things is so much more important than focusing on making it 22 minutes long.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Scabiebabie wrote:now here is an other cartoon that I made it's called "Space Station 3"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmnJuabO0GI
I don't get it. There's some people floating around, there's some Pac Man sound effects, and there's some woefully unfunny attempts at humor. I enjoyed the end credit music, but this didn't have much else going for it. Two of the characters had very similar faces and appeared to have the eyes from whatever the built in character from Anime Studio was at that time. In fact, all the characters appeared to have the same body just with different heads. The sudden pop into place and then slowly drift back phenomenon was all too present in this one too.

Baby Scabies has way more potential than this. There's no way I'd watch another episode of this.
~Danimal
Genete

Post by Genete »

I don't understand why do we loose more time with this thread. It is really unproductive.
-G
Joofville

Post by Joofville »

Trust me to jump in here at this late hour of this thread (what the heck did I just say?) Anyway, one assumes when you ask people / animators on this forum to check out your work especially if you're pitching it to a network, you're kind of looking for feedback of any kind. Every time I post a clip (haven't done so in a while) on these forums I'm looking for feedback, especially the honest truth so I can improve. I've had guys send me messages saying my work is great but this and that is sh*t and needs some work so I've worked on those areas to improve. I'm no professional, but half of what I have learned about animation came from feedback from these guys, which is extremely valuable. The one great this that Anime Studio has is the quality of it's forums and the guys and gals who post on it and respond to your work. Try get this quality of feedback on the ToonBoom forums ... eish! I wish you all the best with your series and it does show potential but don't be too hasty to brush off or attack those who give constructive advice. Learn from your piers! :)
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Scabiebabie wrote:
Lukas wrote:Love the show, this is better than spongebob squarepants and adventure time combined! please let us know how Nickelodeon and CN respond. ;)
what this persons opinion dose not count?
Sorry, I was trolling because you were so annoyed when people gave you feedback, I just said what you wanted to hear. To be honest, Nickelodeon and CN will not waste their time watching this any longer than a minute. Doesn't mean you have to give up though, but it's not as good as you think it is. Read the feedback and learn from it.
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

Scabiebabie wrote:
Danimal wrote:Interesting. My quote from all those years ago still stands:
Danimal wrote:The video quality really was pretty bad. I only got two minutes in before I couldn't take it any more
The video is pixelated and very difficult to watch.

You would be a very bad person to work in an animation network because they would have to at the least look at at least 10 min to give some sort of an real answer pertaining to a business decision and you would have the notion that it's a pilot and that in most cases it would be bad in some sort of way and you would have an open mind in seeing that it would need some work and you would only have the idea that your looking for a show that has potential so that your network can have content to place on there network.

that was my first animation and it is completely finished, I bet you have never finished an animation with an other animation let alone by your self. and it is 22 min long.
your one of those pretentious animators who thinks you can do what I did but can't prove it

why don't you try to make an animation that is 22 min all alone and see if it comes out bad, hell! I bet you are those kind of guys that starts an animation and never finishes.

I did it alone.
Dude,

There is no way you can be for real. And I have produced a 22 minute pilot (all by myself), which I am shopping around now, so don't try and pull that rank crap.

Having a pilot doesn't mean diddly. Not only do you have to have a great package to pitch (Premise, characters, story, etc), but you have to run into the right person at the right time. And you DEFINITELY have to have the right ATTITUDE -- which you seem to lack!

Execs at FOX gave Seth Macfarlane Family Guy not because they thought it was the greatest idea in the universe, but because they LIKED Seth. He stated that in an interview. They were losing money early on, but the big-wigs just liked him.

People on here are giving you honest advice, trying to help you out. How lucky you are to live in an era where you can get valuable feedback from talented people all around the world for free!

But I highly doubt you are real. You must be a troll or, as someone previously mentioned, have psychological issues.

And I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that's just how you come across.
Jimmy Mills

Some of my Moho Pro work.
My Demo Reel: https://youtu.be/_kSCno4Wd3c?si=gNT7d27R7sM4jjqq
Buddies Ep 4: https://youtu.be/f8Zbzo2mpHA?si=4EyxhBOrgOxkDoSO