Pitching to Nickelodeon and The cartoon network

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sargumphigaus

Re: Pitching to Nickelodeon and The cartoon network

Post by sargumphigaus »

You know, it really wasn't that bad. For what it was. He has too much of a reliance for that character wizard thing there. Personally, I despise that feature and think it's damning to any project looking to be taken seriously. If he put as much effort into the character design and animation in general as much as he did his backgrounds, this could be pretty decent. I mean, it does at least have somewhat of a charm to it. The kid just needs to dislodge his head from his ass and not fight everyone who disagrees.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

sargumphigaus, I wouldn't be so hard on the character wizard. There are some animators who have an ability to tell a compelling story. They just need help with the artwork.
I think it's bad form to burn your bridges. We share the same passion. Some of my 'teachers' have even made files and videos for me. Insulting them is the bigger crime, in my view.
Cheers, Larry
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

fair enough. fair enough. Allow me to rectify my terminology by rephrasing my gripe with the character wizard. What I see of it's output isn't aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. I personally believe that there must be an artistic inclination on the animators part if they want to produce something worthwhile, otherwise, why would they even be drawn to bother? It feels like cheating to me. But all at once, Character wizard does serve a purpose for a casual user looking to just make a fun video and get points across. but if you really want to become a great animator, you have to learn to create for yourself, learn the dimensions, proportions, the principals, and develop your own style, and not depend on a preordained model. I mean no offense to you or your teachers there. It's my opinion.I won't go masquerading it as a preaching fact. I respect your opinions, but I'm standing my ground on this one. Animation is an art that ought to be refined, not prepackaged for others to use.

plus i think i was half asleep when i wrote that. I don't hate it with a burning passion or anything. Simply put, i just have no preference for it.
SvenReyter

Post by SvenReyter »

I didn't think it was that bad either. I'm not defending his reaction to the criticism that he personally requested. But, all in all the video wasn't as terrible as some of the post made it out to be. It seems the majority of the post were attacking the hubris of the subject "Pitching to Nickelodeon and CN". I'm new to the forum and to animation, but, some of those critiques were just petty and aggressive. You're not helping anyone by saying "my first impression was that this had to be some sort of joke".
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

I understand I'm late to the party, but if I can weigh in with my thoughts on criticism: When I first signed up on these forums, I felt like my animation wasn't great, and I was nervous about posting it, but I did anyway. Now, I didn't get crucified, but what I've always maintained is that in any creative outlet, your peers are there to help you. What they're saying might sound harsh, but they do want you to get better. You can't get better if someone lies about where you need to be.
HanglideProductions

Post by HanglideProductions »

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

SvenReyter wrote:It seems the majority of the post were attacking the hubris of the subject "Pitching to Nickelodeon and CN".
Just imagine the reaction if he had used the word "hubris" in his post! :lol:

The opening credits to the video are very slipshod and I can easily see someone thinking it's a joke. Sort of a reverse self-deprecation: "Here's my latest masterpiece!" knowing it's nothing of the sort. In fact, after heyvern posted that, I went back and watched the opening again and though "I wonder if it WAS a joke?" Ugh, those opening credits... :lol:
~Danimal
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The internet is full of strange people who do stuff intentionally to get a reaction. The channel for that "show" appeared to have been created by "an adult" so this wouldn't be childish naiveté. Also the voices sounded like adults... especially the annoying, fingernails on a chalkboard falsetto of the lead character.

The topic implied something... not... horribly awful. There's a huge range of acceptability in quality even when dreams of getting a show on a network are implied. This particular sample well below any range of professional acceptability. Of course now without the original posters text, we can't say exactly what they wanted, but I seem to recall that they wanted honest opinions or suggestions for improvement or even just a "well, I didn't kill myself after watching it!"

My concern after all the hand holding and gentle words of encouragement about this travesty from most people, and after re-watching parts of it for a third time to be absolutely certain I wasn't being overly critical, was that this was some kind of "leg pull". No one in their right mind could have created that and actually thought it was worthy of a network, or of any type of praise accept from a mother to her child. I just felt that "pretending" to find anything redeeming or useable in this was unfair to the creator of it, and... well... extremely difficult. To be fair I did offer some suggestions for how to proceed if animation was the desired career.

The only other positive thing I could think of to say would have been....
...you know when you are flipping channels and those small segments of some show are whizzing by, you stop on a channel for barely a split second and see a second or two of some cartoon? Just a blink of an eye. Some random scene of screeching dialog, a strange bizarre visual, and you keep clicking past? And you think to yourself "What the heck was that?". Well, there were parts of "Scabbiebabies" that if you only watched one or two seconds... you could pretend it was on TV and you were flipping past it while channel surfing...
Scabiebabie

Post by Scabiebabie »

/
Last edited by Scabiebabie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

You should try posting scabbie babies on 4chan.
Waan

Post by Waan »

I watched this before any input was made, but didn't comment as I had nothing positive to say and don't feel experienced enough to critique, but honestly it was very cringeworthy. And extremely jarring. I have a 16 month old, so I suppose he'd be in the target audience to some extent. I'm fairly certain he wouldn't be interested in it, nor would I. It was not bright enough (Children are attracted to bright colours). Animation seemed jumpy, and I got bored very quickly, I feel children also would.
The dialogue and story could be brilliant(I don't really use sound because when viewing animations on here I'm trying to focus on the animation style, the audio takes out from this a fair bit), but with the current quality put into the art style and animation style I don't see it being all that great.
Not trying to be mean or anything, this is just from my perspective.
Good luck with your pitch.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

sargumphigaus wrote:You should try posting scabbie babies on 4chan.
This is what keeps me coming back.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Scabiebabie wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5rL0a2o ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Scabiebabie on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:10 am, edited
That's definitely a different intro, all right. It's just a red face and the message "The video doesn't exist." :?:

Also, how did the "last edited" message end up in your post? :?:
~Danimal
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

Too much negative energy on this thread. I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

Scabiebabie

Post by Scabiebabie »

/
Last edited by Scabiebabie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.