Pitching to Nickelodeon and The cartoon network

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Re: Pitching to Nickelodeon and The cartoon network

Post by heyvern »

I will tell a story to put my comments in context:

When in art school during a life drawing class, one of my fellow students was working on drawing heads and faces. She had spent a lot of effort on a sketch of the models head.

The teacher looked at her progress and began to draw on her artwork showing all the mistakes, the head shape was incorrect, the eyes were to far down, etc etc.

The student became FURIOUS that the teacher "ruined her drawing" by drawing all over it.

The teacher (who was AWESOME and a FANTASTIC artist in his own right, regardless that he was "teaching"), grabbed the students artwork, scribbled all over it, crumbled it up, threw it on the floor and jumped up and down on it. The student burst into tears and ran out.

I apologize that I was blunt. I was feeling that no one was being TRULY honest. If I couldn't say anything good I probably should not have said anything at all. If the title was not about pitching to networks I would not have been so honest. If this were simply an animation you did for learning the process, it would have a totally different meaning.

No, I don't have a career in animation, I haven't "produced" anything or had anything broadcast. I am not famous... however... having said that, I still have enough knowledge and talent to know the reality of what feedback you would get from Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network. They might not say anything to you directly but... holy crap... they wouldn't be as kind as anyone here... or me!

Keep in mind there are people out there with amazing talent who struggle night and day to get published and recognized, often without success, not because they lack talent but because it's freaking HARD AS HELL to hit that lottery. How many popular cartoons are on TV? Compared to the number of talented animators it's 0.000000001%. Becoming successful as an artist starts with talent first. The rest of it is a lot of luck.

-----------
Ha ha! Slowtiger beat me to it. Was about to tell about how the Simpsons started...

The Simpsons characters were created originally by a talented cartoonist, Matt Groening and animated by the studio Slowtiger mentioned. It was created before "computer" animation. It was cell animation and was not "bad quality".

The Simpsons started out as VERY VERY SHORT SEGMENTS on "the Tracey Ullman Show". They were VERY VERY SHORT. As a matter of fact, the Tracey Ullman Show, sued when the Simpsons got its own show on FOX. Tracey Ullman felt she started it and was suppose to get a piece of the action. She lost the suit. I remember watching the ORIGINAL Simpsons on the Tracy Ullman show. It was unique and different. Not like anything done before. Those 1 minute original Simpsons shorts became more popular than the actual show they were in.

It was the QUALITY of those original short segments that got it its own show, not the QUANTITY or the length. That was my main point about your animation. Besides the quality, It's too long and has no real compelling story.

The original Simpsons was NEVER "badly animated". I believe originally it was done "old school" drawn frame by frame without computers (we are talking late 80's early 90's).
It's more "polished" now because it's been on for a decade and computers have changed how it's done.
Scabiebabie

Post by Scabiebabie »

/
Last edited by Scabiebabie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scabiebabie

Post by Scabiebabie »

/
Last edited by Scabiebabie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scabiebabie

Post by Scabiebabie »

/
Last edited by Scabiebabie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Scabiebabie wrote:you people have to grow up and get a life i will never ever post a thing in this hate fill forum.
I'm sure that's something we can all look forward to. And I love the irony implied in you telling other people to grow up. All you need now is some self awareness and you can start writing comedy. I mean REAL comedy.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
ianmage1

Post by ianmage1 »

Alright, this is quite easily the strangest thread I've ever seen on this forum. I know I haven't been here for nearly as long as some of you, but still...
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1
Majoring in computer science doesn't leave much time for animation...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Holy crap, you changed the original post?????? That is the lowest of low on a forum like this. It's extremely bad form.

I would ask the moderators to simple remove this topic entirely. Without the original post it makes no sense.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

Scabiebabie wrote:you people have to grow up and get a life i will never ever post a thing in this hate fill forum.
I dunno boys, i think we got a troll on our hands. Quick, use a goat to lure him out. I'll fire up the sunlight cannon. Gods willing, we will turn this monster to stone.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Good grief... he edited ALL OF HIS POSTS in the entire topic? That is... really low.

If he thinks we are being "mean" I can't imagine what his reaction would be getting rejected in the real world. You have to develop a very tough skin in this business and learn how to bounce back from criticism. Otherwise you curl up in a ball and hide under the bed...

... man... I really should clean the dust bunnies under here... ;)
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

but on a more serious note, What I appear to be seeing here (forgive me if i'm wrong) appears to be a petulant reaction to what is otherwise honest critiques. If you can't handle it, don't ask for it. What you're doing is giving several people who are extraordinarily talented, helpful and knowledgeable with ASP a bunch of unnecessary crap, diminishing their respect and incentive to help you with issues you may have in the future. If THEIR critiques compel this kind of reaction out of you, how could you possibly expect to withstand whatever the producers for Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon to have for you? I guarantee you it would be brutally honest and even harsh, IF they even bothered to entertained the notion of watching it, PERIOD. As for me, I can't watch your cartoon and give my 2 cents as you deleted it and replaced it with that childish reply you appear to be so fond of spamming all over this thread. You are either a Troll or a child with a very short fuse. Perhaps, YOU'RE the one who needs to Grow up.
ianmage1

Post by ianmage1 »

He claimed to have had many "connections" to big name studios, including Disney, so why would he bother making a post on the ANIME STUDIO FORUM when he could get insights from said "connections"? And if he ever did get insights from said "connections," he'd get a lot more negative criticism than he did here. He's full of shit and a troll.
Kill the thread...
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1
Majoring in computer science doesn't leave much time for animation...
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

no no no no, keep the thread alive. OP, be a man and change your post back to the link. I want to see this. I want to see your work. If you're THIS passionate about defending it, put it to the test and let me watch it.
Hutch

Post by Hutch »

This isn't the same one he posted but the quality seems the same from the few seconds I can stand to watch.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The sad thing is that he could improve the whole thing greatly, even with no changes to the basic idea. It still wouldn't be great, but at least original and fun to watch. It's only his attitude which prevents him from making progress.

As for moderation: we could lock this thread so people still can read it. I think his edited posts speak for themselves. What do you think?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

sargumphigaus wrote:no no no no, keep the thread alive. OP, be a man and change your post back to the link. I want to see this. I want to see your work. If you're THIS passionate about defending it, put it to the test and let me watch it.
This was the link in the original post:

http://scabiebabies.webs.com/
heyvern wrote:Good grief... he edited ALL OF HIS POSTS in the entire topic?
Except the one thanking me for my kind words. Good grief is right, apparently he likes me.
slowtiger wrote:The sad thing is that he could improve the whole thing greatly, even with no changes to the basic idea. It still wouldn't be great, but at least original and fun to watch. It's only his attitude which prevents him from making progress.

As for moderation: we could lock this thread so people still can read it. I think his edited posts speak for themselves. What do you think?
I do believe kids would enjoy this. Not in its present state, but if it were brought up to snuff. However, his reactions were nothing short of bizarre.

No need to lock the topic, it's not incendiary or anything. And also, this isn't the work of a troll or he wouldn't have changed all his posts. I think it's more like someone living in some kind of odd dream world. "Child with a short fuse" was a good description.
~Danimal