3D for Kids

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

simplecarnival

3D for Kids

Post by simplecarnival »

I conduct 3D for Kids workshops for ages 7 and up. We cover the basics of stereoscopy and various 3D techniques through fun, interactive, hands-on demonstrations. The workshop has been a big hit with kids and adults alike.

I put together a video recording of last Saturday's workshop and thought you might find it interesting:

Anime Studio gets a mention in the workshop. Besides the music video featured in the workshop, I used Anime Studio for the photon animation.

Thanks for taking a look!
AmigaMan

Re: 3D for Kids

Post by AmigaMan »

I've not much interest in 3D beyond the obvious novelty value but I look forward to your 3D film. I'm hoping there will be a 'flat' version on the disc also?
You are a very good teacher, that is plain to see. I enjoyed your presentation and it appears your audience did too :D
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

I'm impressed. You make an entertaining presentation. I'd like to know how you set up that workshop. I've been involved in lenticular 3D photography since 07' which is why I chose '3deeguy' as a username. I'm going to subscribe to your YouTube channel. :)
Cheers, Larry
simplecarnival

Post by simplecarnival »

AmigaMan wrote:I've not much interest in 3D beyond the obvious novelty value but I look forward to your 3D film. I'm hoping there will be a 'flat' version on the disc also?
Of course! :)
AmigaMan wrote:You are a very good teacher, that is plain to see. I enjoyed your presentation and it appears your audience did too :D
Thanks, AmigaMan!
simplecarnival

Post by simplecarnival »

3deeguy wrote:I'm impressed. You make an entertaining presentation.
Thanks, 3deeguy!
3deeguy wrote:I'd like to know how you set up that workshop.
Well, I kind of partially describe it in the presentation, but I have two identical projectors projecting through linear polarized filters onto a silver-coated screen. I'm running Stereoscopic Player on my laptop, running in the dual screen output mode. My laptop has both a SVGA and HDMI output. I plug the SVGA output into one projector and the HDMI output into the other projector. The projectors are on a stand that I built and wrote about in Stereo World magazine: Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3

All that said, when I want to watch something in 3D at home, I prefer using a single projector and active shutter glasses with DLP-Link. It's so much easier to set up (no silver screen required) and there's no alignment issues that accompany the dual projector setup. However, DLP-Link glasses are really expensive ($40/pair at the cheapest) and I don't trust giving them out to kids. (There are typically at least five pairs of passive glasses that are broken by kids at every workshop that I've done.)
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Ah! You wrote an article for the National Stereoscopic Association. (The NSA!) I debated whether I should join. Most enthusiasts prefer anaglyph. Previewing my images in anaglyph is a necessary step in converting them to lenticular. My problem is there are so few that share my area of interest.
I would join if there was a forum for lenticular enthusiasts. I'll take another look.
Cheers, Larry
simplecarnival

Post by simplecarnival »

3deeguy wrote:Ah! You wrote an article for the National Stereoscopic Association. (The NSA!) I debated whether I should join. Most enthusiasts prefer anaglyph. Previewing my images in anaglyph is a necessary step in converting them to lenticular. My problem is there are so few that share my area of interest.
I would join if there was a forum for lenticular enthusiasts. I'll take another look.
I think you'll find a variety of opinions within the NSA. The organization is heavily weighted toward stereo photographers and stereo card collectors, but anyone with a serious interest in stereography is always made to feel welcome. That said, being a member and having attended 3D Con this past year has put me in touch with some of the most knowledgeable stereo folks out there. And if you have the opportunity to learn from the best, well, why not? :D

Actually, the best place to start is to get the Stereo World back issues DVD. There's a number of great stereoscopic books that I could recommend, but reading through all 200 back issues of Stereo World is a heck of an education about 3D. It also gives you a good idea of what the NSA is about. It's the best $50 I ever spent on 3D -- seriously.