Interfilm 2013 Festival Trailer

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slowtiger

Interfilm 2013 Festival Trailer

Post by slowtiger »

On vimeo: https://vimeo.com/77061828

Images prepared in Photoshop and TVPaint, assembled in AS. The cylindrical text overlay was animated in PS - this was a nightmare because it took ages to render and wasn't even in good quality.

This production was cursed - I had more than a dozen complete crashes (hardware reasons), and even data loss. And I'm not so happy with AS' performance this time: numerous times it would crash while rendering, preferrably after 90% done, and then the resulting QT file wouldn't open.

I had to render in separate passes anyway:
- text layer
- first 2 characters
- all other characters
-the screen
- background.

But even then it was a nightmare. In the end I had to render to PNG sequence without multi-processor use!

I had to put the PNG sequences into TVP anyway because I had to correct some glitches with the 3D: the walls in the background kept blinking, undecisive about which one was in front. And the biggest disappointment was AS 9.5: obviously it uses a different depth sort than 8.2, so the rays from the projection light got cut off at the corners of the wall, and this mistake only occured in the very last stages!

9.5 was by no means more stable than 8.2 in terms of rendering QT files. Of course this is connected to the immense workload: 18 characters, most composed of 2 quicktime movies, dimensions somewhere between 1000 * 1000 and 2500 * 3000 px ... but still I don't expect AS to just skip some of them and render the "broken path" icon instead!
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Danimal

Re: Interfilm 2013 Festival Trailer

Post by Danimal »

Sounds like quite the trial to get it done, but the final result is breathtaking. Very nicely done!
~Danimal
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

Nice cutout animation, somehow makes me think of Max Ernst. Congratulations you have a job, hope more comes. :)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Cool Stuff slowtiger! Again!
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Holy cow was that cool.

Ya know, I generally like to find positive aspects of peoples' work, but that was really inspirational. It doesn't even matter if it's my personal style or not, but just to see something done with the AS program that puts its potential out there for all to see (even with the tech complaints). The professionalism of the look, the final cut, just pushes all of our imaginations.

Thanks for sharing it.
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

It's very good, you can't tell the software used,I'd have assumed AE but it's amazing to hear the workflow and how this was made with this and that. Just the photo search would have been enough to wear me down, and everything pops to the music.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

That's excellent! Sorry to hear you suffered so many problems during production but it certainly doesn't show in the finished film.
cynthia

Post by cynthia »

wonderful. So complex and interesting. I really feel for all your headaches and applaud you for persisting and improvising when so many avenues didn't work out. That's also too bad about AS 9.5 not being up to the job. I hope you don't give up on it - your contributions on the forum are a gift to the rest of us.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

It's an absolutely fabulous piece of work. The cylindrical text had me wondering how you did that. A professional (slowtiger) will get the job done even when there are hardware/software problems. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Cheers, Larry
exile

Post by exile »

I saw this in the Berlin U-Bahn (Am. subway, Brit. underground) the other day. It's an attention-grabber, effective in an environment where people won't patiently wait for something to get interesting. I can imagine it was hard on the computer's resources.
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/toonlyrics
Music Website: http://www.singadream.com
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Great work, and difficult I guess, with the constant rotation and panning?
I'm glad you managed to complete the work in spite of all technical problems!
Congratulations!!
pihms

Post by pihms »

Outstanding work. A true professional! :D
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

Marvellous! A real tour de force. I love how you achieved 3D turnarounds of the two human figures simply by carefully sourcing photos with the right angle of view for each frame - it must have taken ages just to collect all the material. I can sympathise with the rendering problems, I had a similar experience when I made my Health and Safety video several years ago, but with a much earlier version of the software.