New York English as a Second Language - Episode 1:"Half-Ass"

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dinomusic

New York English as a Second Language - Episode 1:"Half-Ass"

Post by dinomusic »

Hi Everyone. I have a new animation (my second) that I wanted to share with you. I moved to New York City from abroad many years ago and it is such an incredible and vibrant place, with so many odd and wonderful quirks. Since I've started animation this summer, I've wanted to animate some of these NYC quirks, somehow, from the point of view of someone coming in from the outside. This is my first attempt. I realize that this forum is international, so for those of you not familiar with New York City: Queens is one of the 5 boroughs that constitute NYC, and is specifically known to have one of the most ethnically diverse population on Earth. Astoria and Flushing are two neighborhoods of Queens. This episode explores the meaning of the word "half-ass". I hope you enjoy it!

lwaxana

Re: New York English as a Second Language - Episode 1:"Half-

Post by lwaxana »

I like it! Nice discussion of the expression, nice likeable characters and designs. Small detail, I think it would read better visually if the table was on a layer behind their arms so it looks more like they're resting their arms on the table.
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

Please do more, it's funny.
dinomusic

Post by dinomusic »

lwaxana wrote:I like it! Nice discussion of the expression, nice likeable characters and designs. Small detail, I think it would read better visually if the table was on a layer behind their arms so it looks more like they're resting their arms on the table.
Why didn't I think of that? that totally makes sense. The torso can still be behind the desk and the arms in front of it...thanks for the tip, and for the comments!
dinomusic

Post by dinomusic »

djwaterman wrote:Please do more, it's funny.
Thanks so much for the comments...I am planning some more of these!
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Good work. The characters' arms seemed a bit long, like if they stood their hands would be down to their knees. But I did like the subtle expressions and the discussion was funny. Well done!
~Danimal
dinomusic

Post by dinomusic »

Danimal wrote:Good work. The characters' arms seemed a bit long, like if they stood their hands would be down to their knees. But I did like the subtle expressions and the discussion was funny. Well done!
Thanks for the comments Danimal! I just checked your website, it's really nice...I wonder how many on the anime forums are also musicians!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

It should be "Noo Yoik" English, surely?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

jahnocli wrote:It should be "Noo Yoik" English, surely?
In New York they'd say it more like "Noo Yoo-awk." I like your way of thinking though!
~Danimal
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I thought it was very funny. A little rough around the edges but a good start.

I agree that the arms don't look quite right floating over the table and they do seem a bit long. As was mentioned, some "perspective" with the table behind the arms so the arms could appear to rest "on" the table would be a huge improvement.

Also, the pan/zoom in and out made me a bit dizzy. If this were an actual news show they would cut to different cameras without panning or zooming at all. If you watch live news they rarely "pan and zoom" in and out that way. Even in traditional "film" style content, pan/zoom should be used sparingly for dramatic effect. For a live news show you wouldn't see it very much if at all. They would have multiple cameras and a director would be in the control booth saying "cut to camera 3!". It would be less distracting to do straight camera cuts. Even if this wasn't a "news show" type animation, too much pan/zoom can be distracting. Especially really fast, all the time like that... in and out, back and forth... I was getting a tad sea sick ;).

The "content" is good! That's the important part. I thought it was funny and it kept me watching. Maybe tighter cutting of the dialog to improve pacing. The quality of the animation can support a good script but won't save a bad one. ;)
dinomusic

Post by dinomusic »

Danimal wrote:
jahnocli wrote:It should be "Noo Yoik" English, surely?
In New York they'd say it more like "Noo Yoo-awk." I like your way of thinking though!
You guys are hysterical - AND You are both right...Noo Yoik is more from some areas of Brooklyn, Noo Yoo-awk or Noo-Yawk is more from the Bronx. Either way it might characterize the series better!!! I remember when moving here we needed a part from a store that is in "Gordon City". We looked and looked for "Gordon City" until someone said it's Garden City.
dinomusic

Post by dinomusic »

heyvern wrote: the pan/zoom in and out made me a bit dizzy.
Good point Heyvern - I should make tighter cuts to camera to make it more like the news. The arm length and table position also are great comments...thanks for watching and taking the time out to comment. BTW I've read many of your posts on these forums and I've always learned something from them. CIAO! Dino
dinomusic

Post by dinomusic »

dinomusic wrote:
heyvern wrote: the pan/zoom in and out made me a bit dizzy.
Good point Heyvern - I should make tighter cuts to camera to make it more like the news. The arm length and table position mentioned here and elsewhere also are great comments...thanks for watching and taking the time out to comment. BTW I've read many of your posts on these forums and I've always learned something from them. CIAO! Dino