Bone Dynamics Test for Hair (first try) & Walk Cycle

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jessica951

Bone Dynamics Test for Hair (first try) & Walk Cycle

Post by jessica951 »

I have been playing around with the bone dynamics options to get a nice flow for the hair and this is the result:

Feedback is welcome and much appreciated! :D
Visit my blog if you have the chance!
jahnocli

Re: Bone Dynamics Test for Hair (first try) & Walk Cycle

Post by jahnocli »

Cute character! However, for me, the walk was a little stiff and mechanical. Try dividing the 'back hair' into two or three layers, and get them to move a bit more loosely. Some lateral movement in the figure would also be nice -- you can fake this with masking. Be interested to see how it develops.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
jessica951

Post by jessica951 »

jahnocli wrote:Cute character! However, for me, the walk was a little stiff and mechanical. Try dividing the 'back hair' into two or three layers, and get them to move a bit more loosely. Some lateral movement in the figure would also be nice -- you can fake this with masking. Be interested to see how it develops.
Thanks for the feedback! Can you elaborate on the lateral movement part and how to do it with masking?
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

I've not had much success using bone dynamics on hair. It usually bounces all over the place. What combination of torque/spring/damping did you use here?

Overall, cute character! :)
jessica951

Post by jessica951 »

neeters_guy wrote:I've not had much success using bone dynamics on hair. It usually bounces all over the place. What combination of torque/spring/damping did you use here?

Overall, cute character! :)
Thank you! i used 1/1/4 I believe. For some reason it only works for the walk cycle, Figuring out the perfect combination, bone position/numbers is really tough!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

jessica951 wrote:Can you elaborate on the lateral movement part and how to do it with masking?
Say you have a character with a pear-shaped torso. You would create a pear-shaped mask exactly covering this torso. Behind this mask would be a pattern that you would move from side to side during the walk cycle, making it look like the character is rotating hips and/or shoulders while they walk. That's the theory anyway!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
jessica951

Post by jessica951 »

jahnocli wrote:
jessica951 wrote:Can you elaborate on the lateral movement part and how to do it with masking?
Say you have a character with a pear-shaped torso. You would create a pear-shaped mask exactly covering this torso. Behind this mask would be a pattern that you would move from side to side during the walk cycle, making it look like the character is rotating hips and/or shoulders while they walk. That's the theory anyway!
That's a great theory actually, have you tested it out?
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

I believe this technique is used in the Luggage Guy from Victor Paredes. You can find this file in the Library.
Kadoogan

Post by Kadoogan »

The hair seems to be reacting well enough. I stopped using bone dynamics for hair - I couldn't maintain control of it. I wound up using smart bones and actions instead. It's not automatic, but it works great. Nicely done!
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
jessica951

Post by jessica951 »

Kadoogan wrote:The hair seems to be reacting well enough. I stopped using bone dynamics for hair - I couldn't maintain control of it. I wound up using smart bones and actions instead. It's not automatic, but it works great. Nicely done!
Thank you. I know what you mean about not being able to maintain control. For some reason bone dynamics only properly works during certain situations. So I will probably only use it occasionally.
Joofville

Post by Joofville »

That's awesome work, along with what jahnocli said, the head seams a little ridged, I think may be add a delayed bounce to the head?
jessica951

Post by jessica951 »

Joofville wrote:That's awesome work, along with what jahnocli said, the head seams a little ridged, I think may be add a delayed bounce to the head?
Thank you! Yea the whole walk is a bit ridged, but when I start to animate I'll try to add some life in there with emotions, secondary actions and all.