Buying Condoms- Cartoon

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wolldo

Buying Condoms- Cartoon

Post by wolldo »

Probably the hardest I've worked so far on a cartoon... and it took nearly two days to render at only 720p HD! Oh well, I'm proud of it.

What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfubbbhNWzs
Gav

Re: Buying Condoms- Cartoon

Post by Gav »

Liked that it probably could of down with a little trimming to make it snappier but overall I enjoyed it.
wolldo

Post by wolldo »

Thanks :) I'll keep that in mind :) I did think it was a bit slow, and the voice acting definately needed improving, but otherwise I was pretty happy with it
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I agree with editing it to improve "comedic timing".

If you watch a lot of recent comedies (cartoon or otherwise) what is paramount is TIMING. Many comedy successes are the rapid fire of the conversation and using pauses possibly for comedic effect.

Your animation was funny. I enjoyed it and the punch line worked and was a good payoff... but it could have been even better with extreme editing. Tighten it up and it would be 100% better. The concept of the "joke" was a good one, but the whole thing could have been faster. Present the set up (his anxiety, all the other stuff he's buying to hide what he wants) in rapid fire and then the punchline line has more impact (my opinion anyway). Keep in mind the actual "joke" has been done before so people are familiar with it. It's the punch line that is different. In reality, the dialog wouldn't even need to be redone, just cut the gaps and possibly "overlap" it a bit.
wolldo

Post by wolldo »

Ahhh I get ya. Yeah now that my initial admiration of it is over (I watch each video I make about 100000 times, admiring it, for some reason haha), I do agree that it needs to be a bit quicker.

I'm about to start writing a second video of the series, I'll try and make it snappier.

Something I've been annoying myself over: virtually idea I come up with, I start writing it, then I get annoyed that it will not be good enough, and decide to scrap it. I love making videos, but I find it so hard to come up with a decent idea. I also find it hard to come up with a good joke that I haven't sort of borrowed... the way you mentioned about the joke being familiar but the punch line being different. I've briefly been looking at different types of comedy, but I don't know. Have you got any tips at all? Thanks :)