character design wip

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

character design wip

Post by lwaxana »

Hi all! I have received some really useful feedback in the past, so I thought I'd see if you have any suggestions on my latest character designs. I've been thinking about them for a while, but haven't pinned down much at this point. I am going for simple shapes suitable for frame by frame animation. But I also want really rich color so I'm using shadows and highlights. I tried some line detailing on the clothes, and not sure how I feel about it. The story takes place in a fantasy type setting. Thoughts or suggestions?
funksmaname

Re: character design wip

Post by funksmaname »

Really like them :) like the line details.
Only things I would mention is that her brow looks a little odd - when I put my finger over the bit that sticks out she looks great - i'd remove it completely and just have the eyebrow overlap like it does her hair.
Also, her arm (where we can see the hand) feels a little short to me... but i like the style! Look forward to seeing some animation tests.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thanks for the feedback, funksmaname! So the brows are actually one of the earliest parts of the design, I guess sort of a fishy alien...? (Older sketches and ink/color tests below) But rather than have all the wrinkly lines on their face, I thought to use the dark under eye circles to represent the lower eye wrinkles. In this latest version I made the guy's eyes more horizontal and I'm not sure if I prefer them like that or more angled. I think I may just have to draw more variations and see. Especially the inking stage because that seems to make the eye lines look overly prominent.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Hmm... your comment got me thinking about going back to the fishier style using thinner lines. Created a quick ink and color test.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I really like the look of your drawings, thicker or thinner line :D The winged dog in your concept artwork looks interesting. It all certainly makes me curious about the film.
Imago

Post by Imago »

It looks very interesting for me too!
I can't wait to see it!
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

No suggestions beyond what the others have mentioned. I like how it looks though. Your study of tradition animation techniques is starting to pay off.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Like it.

The lines on the clothing add just the right amount of detail and shouldn't be too hard to animate. Line thickness of the first example is OK.

Careful with the shadows. I think it should be either highlights or shadows, but not both - maybe depending on scene?

That light plus dark line is especially irritating at her clavicula. Maybe the dark (out-)line is enough.

Wonder why they have shadows under their eyes, but not under their eyebrows? Had a long night? Also what the others said: don't let her eyebrow extend over the face outline, it looks so neanderthalian.

Why don't they have noses? If these were my designs, now would be the point where I make a dozen copies of each, then experiment with combinations of lines and shadows, with only the two colours you already have: outline and skin shadow. Why does he have a dark shadow under his mouth, but not her?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I think I saw them as 'fantasy elf like' characters - but it seems you're going for a more 'sci fi alien' character? If so, perhaps experimenting with skin tone would make the no nose/big brow design less jarring? maybe green/blue/purple skin? or something more interesting like a patterned skin that changes colour based on mood or something equally alien... I think the dark under the eyes is a little unattractive - even if she's a fishy alien - I think the original post was more 'cute' :)
chucky

Post by chucky »

I loke them, the new brow is good. Maybe if they are fishy aliens then they could be more so, with colour or gills.
I agree with Slowtiger about the clavicle.
If I was to point out anything that made me squint, it the proportions of the dogs wings , they have so little surface area, could they be fatter or longer?.
They look a bit stuck on and the dog looks so very much like a regular dog, surely here's a place you can be a little creative with the alien'ness'?
You could make his tail match the wings or something?

Otherwise I very much like the overall style and quality :D
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thank you so much for all your feedback! I will work up some drawings to test variations. A big dilemma I'm facing is the eyes; they have really captured my imagination, though admittedly they are unattractive. I feel like they make the style more distinct, but I also don't want to turn off the audience. I have a few ideas on how to approach this now from your feedback. Thanks again! XD
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Here is the latest version. I think these eyes are working better for me now as they have that different look, but are more appealing than the bulgy brow. The shading is also working better for me without highlights. And I'm happier that the style is closer to the original sketches.
FeeblyWeebly

Post by FeeblyWeebly »

The guy reminds me of Zaboo from 'The Guild', which I enjoy, so you already have depth without me having to hear anything about him.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

I like them. I think you've made improvements.

I don't really get the feeling that they are "fishy" though. If they're supposed to be like fish in some way, you might want to emphasize their fishness.

I think the girl kinda reminds me of Aubrey Plaza, but without a nose.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Face gills maybe?

ImageImage