"A Geek Like Me" 3D music video

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

simplecarnival

"A Geek Like Me" 3D music video

Post by simplecarnival »

I'm working on a 3D music video for a song I wrote/recorded called "A Geek Like Me." Everything is hand-drawn with pencil on paper, scanned into the computer, then brought into Anime Studio. This particular video frankly stretches Anime Studio to the limit -- besides writing lots of code to create this clip, it took 23 hours (!) to render. You will need red/cyan 3D glasses to see this clip properly:

Since this is a work in progress, feel free to critique the visuals. Thanks!
2ner

Re: "A Geek Like Me" 3D music video

Post by 2ner »

Reminds me a little of the hand drawn rotoscoping in Yellow Submarine. I don't personally care for noticeable rotoscoping, but that's just me. The characters seem to be marching on the spot, but sliding forward. Maybe the general audience won't notice this. The 3D effect is quite good, but it's difficult to maintain parallel view focus while I'm trying to dismiss the giant ad banner that pops up half way through.
simplecarnival

Post by simplecarnival »

2ner wrote:Reminds me a little of the hand drawn rotoscoping in Yellow Submarine. I don't personally care for noticeable rotoscoping, but that's just me. The characters seem to be marching on the spot, but sliding forward. Maybe the general audience won't notice this. The 3D effect is quite good, but it's difficult to maintain parallel view focus while I'm trying to dismiss the giant ad banner that pops up half way through.

Thanks for the feedback, 2ner. You're right in that the characters are sliding forward. I will fix that on the next render.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I think it's an interesting style for a music video. I've enjoyed your other animation work and your CD is brilliant so I look forward to viewing this series of video's when completed.
simplecarnival

Post by simplecarnival »

AmigaMan wrote:I think it's an interesting style for a music video. I've enjoyed your other animation work and your CD is brilliant so I look forward to viewing this series of video's when completed.
I just saw this -- thank you, AmigaMan!

I've been busy with other things so I forgot to update this thread. Here's the song "A Geek Like Me" (no music video)...

...and here's a random collection of shots for the video:

AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Great song! The video shots are good too. I will watch again later when I've fetched my 3D glasses from the cupboard upstairs :D
I look forward to the BluRay.
Scot Solida

Post by Scot Solida »

Good song! Extra points for vocoders!
simplecarnival

Post by simplecarnival »

Thanks, AmigaMan and Scot!
simplecarnival

Post by simplecarnival »

Here's the finished video. It premiered at the LA 3-D Movie Festival earlier this month and won the Ray Zone Award for Excellence in 3-DIY:

skitoba

Post by skitoba »

Bravo!! Very well done. It must have been very time consuming. But it paid off.
All the best from Tobias
simplecarnival

Post by simplecarnival »

skitoba wrote:Bravo!! Very well done. It must have been very time consuming. But it paid off.
All the best from Tobias
Thank you, Tobias! Yes, it was a ton of work. I drew 4,418 drawings, which, if you average out the time drawing them to be 10 minutes a piece, it means I spent literally a month with no sleeping or eating -- just drawing. (The video took a year to complete.) It was absolutely an honor to receive that reward, as Ray Zone was a champion of the indie filmmaking spirit, as well as an influence on my approach to 3D.

I posted pictures from the festival here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... tif_t=like. I also got a mention in The Hollywood Reporter, which was a really pleasant surprise: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind ... one-667125
skitoba

Post by skitoba »

Well deserved.

In case you might want to do something similar again: I can recommend TV Paint for the drawing part, especially when you want to trace live action footage. Appart from animation I also use it for storyboard. I know that you can´t beat a real drawing on real paper, but it really saves time and energy, scanning drawings is avoided this way and in general it is quite a lightweight programm.

All the best from
Tobias
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Taaaaaake ooooooon meeeeee! (Take on me!)

Sorry, the animation reminded me of the old A-ha video. I don't own 3-D glasses so I wasn't able to fully enjoy the effect but it didn't stop it from looking great!
~Danimal
simplecarnival

Post by simplecarnival »

Thanks Tobias and Danimal!

Danimal -- yes, "Take On Me" was absolutely a big influence behind this video. I wanted to see what something like that would look like if it had a lot more visual detail and was in 3D. Of course, halfway through making this thing, I realized there's a good reason why hardly anybody makes videos this way!