Eve of October Scene 3 Fully Scored

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

neomarz1

Eve of October Scene 3 Fully Scored

Post by neomarz1 »

George R. Powell just finished Scoring Scene 3 for Eve of October. Really excellent job! Now I can start working on some more scenes... I think this film is about 60% finished, but that's a rough estimate. I had to take a break over the holidays a bit, but who hasn't right. By the way "Subscribe" to my youtube channel, and hit like... Of course only if you like it ;) I need the promotional help, and if anyone can make any suggestions on how I might promote the film... I am definately open to suggestions.
I had a really harsh criticism over at Amazon on the rental side. I know the film has it's faults, but really... Is it that bad? I hope not. It's tough when you can't look at your creation as an audience member. I can only look at it as a creator... But I guess you can't please everyone. It does suck to get a bad review. I understand the criticism a little, because I am still learning animation. I have learned on my own, so it's not going to be like someone out of film school. I have learned mostly by just being a fan, and a little from books ;) Thanks for the support... I hope everyone likes it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgBigfpotOc
neeters_guy

Re: Eve of October Scene 3 Fully Scored

Post by neeters_guy »

neomarz1 wrote:I had a really harsh criticism over at Amazon on the rental side.
Wow, for a 2 buck rental too. :roll:

That person complained about the "pictures in motion" so maybe he/she was expecting something more frame-by-frame? I think Eve of October is pretty terrific for what it is. It doesn't look like anime or Cartoon Network (nor do I think it should), but perhaps adding the word "indie" in the description there might clarify the work for some people. :?:
Noiz2

Post by Noiz2 »

The criticism I would have is that the characters are a bit static and talk an awful lot. This is not coming from someone who could do any better but from someone who has worked in a LOT of theatre and films. It kind of goes to that old axiom of filmmaking, if you can show it don't talk it.

It looks good, it just felt like I was listening to an audio book a bit. The side effect is that the mouths are moving a lot also.

Those are I hope constructive comments, more in the way of refining as you go along. You see the same thing with a lot of not so experienced filmmakers, except that actors won't stand still that long ;~)

Cheers
SK
neomarz1

Post by neomarz1 »

Noiz2 wrote:The criticism I would have is that the characters are a bit static and talk an awful lot. This is not coming from someone who could do any better but from someone who has worked in a LOT of theatre and films. It kind of goes to that old axiom of filmmaking, if you can show it don't talk it.

It looks good, it just felt like I was listening to an audio book a bit. The side effect is that the mouths are moving a lot also.

Those are I hope constructive comments, more in the way of refining as you go along. You see the same thing with a lot of not so experienced filmmakers, except that actors won't stand still that long ;~)

Cheers
SK
Very valid. I understand the criticism. I like to bring the characters up close "in your personal space". I don't know the rules for dialogue development. Of course this tightens up the range of performance. When I first started working scenes in the first film, It really seemed unsettling to have the characters always moving about (body motions specifically). It seemed odd, when normal people talk, motion usually only happens when points are be "accentuated". In animation you actually are "amping" up the drama a bit to sell the performance (Something I still need to master). In a few scenes, I have the characters walk forward and change up the staging a bit.

Long story short, as an animator you also need to become an actor. All these things come with experience. I started out in comics, so performance is a new skill that I must learn. I recently picked up the "animators survival kit", which did not go into performance all that much. Does anyone know of any good books that go into timing and performance?
neomarz1

Post by neomarz1 »

neeters_guy wrote:
neomarz1 wrote:I had a really harsh criticism over at Amazon on the rental side.
Wow, for a 2 buck rental too. :roll:

That person complained about the "pictures in motion" so maybe he/she was expecting something more frame-by-frame? I think Eve of October is pretty terrific for what it is. It doesn't look like anime or Cartoon Network (nor do I think it should), but perhaps adding the word "indie" in the description there might clarify the work for some people. :?:
Well... I figured as much. People are expect to see what they already know so well. I grew up in the era of "Hanna Barbara"... If you've ever watched the old "Star Trek" cartoon, you know exactly what I'm talking about. I've been meaning to go over and study your pokemon shorts. You have a pretty good idea of handling character performance. I remember you shooting a link to someone who was having trouble figuring out pacing/character movement. Maybe you can make some suggestions on scenes I've completed. Do you have any good sources on character movement/performance?
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I think the Star Trek animated series was made by Filmation if I remember correctly. Their work featured more limited animation than Hanna-Barbera at the time.
I did see the critical review on Amazon you mentioned and I thought it very unfair. I know your work is mainly cut-out in style but the artwork and lighting effects are beautiful and, for me anyway, more than make up for the economical animation style. It just comes down to that person not seeing what they expected I suppose and you can't really do anything about that :(

I think what you achieved, on your own, is nothing short of amazing. However, a lot of people just don't take details like that into account. An argument I have with colleagues at work all the time is that they judge absolutely everything by the standards of Pixar and the like!

Ed Hooks book 'Acting For Animator's might be worth getting. I do believe the best way to learn though is exactly the way you are.
Anyway, it's 2 in the morning here (yes I've been animating!) and my head is a bit fuzzy so I'd better go :)
neomarz1

Post by neomarz1 »

AmigaMan wrote:I think the Star Trek animated series was made by Filmation if I remember correctly. Their work featured more limited animation than Hanna-Barbera at the time.
I did see the critical review on Amazon you mentioned and I thought it very unfair. I know your work is mainly cut-out in style but the artwork and lighting effects are beautiful and, for me anyway, more than make up for the economical animation style. It just comes down to that person not seeing what they expected I suppose and you can't really do anything about that :(

I think what you achieved, on your own, is nothing short of amazing. However, a lot of people just don't take details like that into account. An argument I have with colleagues at work all the time is that they judge absolutely everything by the standards of Pixar and the like!

Ed Hooks book 'Acting For Animator's might be worth getting. I do believe the best way to learn though is exactly the way you are.
Anyway, it's 2 in the morning here (yes I've been animating!) and my head is a bit fuzzy so I'd better go :)
I appreciate that... Yeah, It was filmation! now that you mention it. I appreciate the support. Yeah, I see what you mean. I suppose if I was a "anime" fan, I would be expecting something more like frame by frame. I am a puss when it comes to a negative critique. I'll have to be tougher about this if I want my work to go farther. Sometimes the quarter back has to run through the front line, right? I'll have to check out your animation... I think I am subscribed to your channel... It's been awhile I think. Oh... and yeah Pixar... I think people get caught up in this "Yeah! they rock! only show in town" attitude. It makes them feel like they have an artistic opinion, LOL. I admire people that find something beautiful in a "B" film. I watched an episode of "Space 1999" today (I hadn't seen an episode since the 70's), My son and I watched it together, and even he enjoyed it. As campy as that series was, it was entertaining. Well I rambling, I better get to bed myself.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

neomarz1 wrote:I remember you shooting a link to someone who was having trouble figuring out pacing/character movement. Maybe you can make some suggestions on scenes I've completed. Do you have any good sources on character movement/performance?
Heh, I don't remember that. I think Noiz2 makes a good point though. The scenes have movement, but they need more to convey acting.

Take a look at this example that slowtiger shared a while ago: Cat Out

The video is worth careful study. It's done in cutout style, but even without any dialogue look how it manages to create a lot of personality.
Last edited by neeters_guy on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

AmigaMan wrote:Ed Hooks book 'Acting For Animator's might be worth getting. I do believe the best way to learn though is exactly the way you are.
I believe Ed Hooks has several articles floating around the internet that are useful as well.

I don't own this book, but I have heard good things about Animated Performance by Nancy Beiman.
FeeblyWeebly

Post by FeeblyWeebly »

I like your animation style and alot about the film, but honestly, I think you should pick up a copy or watch frisky dingo or archer, or even sea lab, with your skills, and that style of animation, if what you were saying was funny or comedic, if would be much more well recieved, I dont have a problem with the animation, but more that whats being said isnt funny. With your range of already created characters, you could make a zaney spin off after your done w that film.
neomarz1

Post by neomarz1 »

FeeblyWeebly wrote:I like your animation style and alot about the film, but honestly, I think you should pick up a copy or watch frisky dingo or archer, or even sea lab, with your skills, and that style of animation, if what you were saying was funny or comedic, if would be much more well recieved, I dont have a problem with the animation, but more that whats being said isnt funny. With your range of already created characters, you could make a zaney spin off after your done w that film.
I totally follow you there. Recently I tried to get a little "comic bit" in the last scene, but there was conflict with things already established. The next film I should have more freedom to work in some comedy. This is something that needs to be factored in. Comedy does so much for a story. People get so bogged down in the details, that it becomes a bit taxing to follow. I do plan on a few spin off things, but my workload is pretty heavy, maybe after this film I can squeeze a few things in ;)