Biplane aerial animation

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

EijiNizuma

Biplane aerial animation

Post by EijiNizuma »

Made with Anime Studio Pro 6 - hope you like it. Part of a much larger animation I'm working on with full SFX, lip sync etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKfT6kkK ... e=youtu.be :D
neon22

Post by neon22 »

Nice style. Looking good. don't stop :-)
EijiNizuma

Post by EijiNizuma »

Thanks - appreciated. To the people who clicked dislike - I was actually quite annoyed not because they disliked it, but because I've posted these animations, which have taken me months to make to get some constructive feedback and advice on stuff I can improve as opposed to just "dislike" which doesn't really help. I'd rather people said "work on X, Y and Z", that helps.
Genete

Post by Genete »

You have one "I Like it!" added from me.
-G
EijiNizuma

Post by EijiNizuma »

Aw, thanks! It would just help if people said WHY they don't like it - then I can do something about it, make it better, and learn. I've not been animating for very long at all and when people just say "dislike", you think ok, but what can I do about that when you won't tell me?
Genete

Post by Genete »

what can I do about that when you won't tell me?
Just forget the youtube users opinions. Stick to this forum or other trusted animation forums to show your work and ask for help.
Try to recognize your own errors and ask for specific help. Compare your animation with others and think on what do they have what yours doesn't. Then try to improve and when fail, ask again.

But in any case, forget the youtube opinions. Too much trolls around.
-G
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

I hit like as well, as its clear the work involved.

One comment - your camera work needs to be looked at: Most shots are locked off, no pans or zooms; this is most apparent on the aerial shots... it appears the camera is glued rigidly to the plane, even in the side shot - here a slightly wider shot will work better,with more 'air' space in front of the plane - the addition of some fluffy clouds whizzing behind the plane will give the impression of speed.

The shot of the fly-past the house: The plane is below flying speed! It needs to e faster and preferably with a curved path (maybe slightly up at the end - it feels like its on rails.

I did wonder if the long shots of the plane, where the pilot is not too visible, whether a 3D toon rendered biplane might work, as then you could have real perspective and changing attitude on the object: There are plenty of free biplane models out on the net and rendering a plane in Blender would be easy - no real animation as such, just the plane following a path.

Film References:
Not sure if you can find it (maybe on youtube) but have a look at Howard Hughe's 1930 film, Hell's Angels - it has some of the best air-to-air filming ever done on film. Even today, much of it holds up as its real flying (and real crashes - 4 people died during the making of the film: Even Hughes who flew the final scene crashed his plane, escaping with a few scratches and bruises). The cinematographer on the film, Elmer Dyer, said in interview that without clouds, there was nothing to provide a visual horizon or speed.

what you have is fine - polishing the camera work will make it better.

Rhoel
EijiNizuma

Post by EijiNizuma »

Thanks Rhoel - brilliant suggestions, I'll definitely implement those and take a look at that film you mentioned. I'm really looking to make it as good as I can. I'll resurface once I've tweaked it all :-)
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I liked it, but there were some awkward moments, like the plane taking off -- looked like it was sliding up into the air like a crab! And rather than see individual propellor vanes going round, it would be better to have just a circular blur of speed, IMHO. Obviously done with a lot of tender loving care; would like to see more...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
EijiNizuma

Post by EijiNizuma »

Thanks Jahnocli - good point, I'll try and have a go at getting the speed a bit quicker - I might try and increase the blur factor too.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

EijiNizuma wrote:Aw, thanks! It would just help if people said WHY they don't like it - then I can do something about it, make it better, and learn. I've not been animating for very long at all and when people just say "dislike", you think ok, but what can I do about that when you won't tell me?
I doubt its anyone from the forums hitting the dislike button. The whole time I have been visiting this forum I have hit a dislike button one time, not because of the animation being bad it was because of the nature of the story.

I think people on this forum have better things to do then to randomly hit dislike buttons, they are more apt to post some tips on the forums.

My most viewed video has almost 100% dislikes but I do not mind because its the video that might get me partnered on Youtube soon. :D :D :D
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu