Noble Team Halo Characters - Feedback Please!

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Kedric

Noble Team Halo Characters - Feedback Please!

Post by Kedric »

Here are the characters I have made for a new series I am making called Noble Team Cafe.

If you have the time, please give me three things I could do to improve the characters and two things you like about the characters the way they are now. I need us much feedback as I can get.

Thanks!

Image (alt+p)[/img]
gregino

Post by gregino »

I like them a lot! but i can't dislike south park style character ;-)

My only advice would be to make a side view of these characters, it could be useful to create some variety in your composition.
kellz5460

Post by kellz5460 »

mustache on Jorge looks kinda wonky to me but its up to you- other than that- B E A UTIFUL!
OMG make it stop!
Fulkster

Post by Fulkster »

Looks fun as all get-out, to me... like gregino says about the South Park thing. :lol:
hothead

Post by hothead »

is this copyright or not or is it ok to just change the color of spongebob to blue from yellow and use it in a series is ok to do so :?: :roll: :roll:
Kedric

Post by Kedric »

gregino wrote:My only advice would be to make a side view of these characters, it could be useful to create some variety in your composition.
Gregino, that is actually in the works. I will he posting the side view perspectives next.
Kedric

Post by Kedric »

hothead wrote:is this copyright or not or is it ok to just change the color of spongebob to blue from yellow and use it in a series is ok to do so :?: :roll: :roll:
The use of these characters in a parody is considered fair use. If you are making a parody of spongebob you don't need to change him to blue.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

The creators of South Park are not interested in people making short animations with look alike characters. I visit their forum daily and even entered a few contest there with South Park looking characters.

They just go after the people that try to make some money with the look alike characters. For example, some guy at the flea market selling tee shirts with south park looking characters on them.

If Kedric is just doing a 'one of' parody I see no problem with it but if he were to produce a series of them then South Park would most definitely file a copyright infringement.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Kedric

Post by Kedric »

Sbtamu

Are you saying that it is copyright infringement to use the south park style? I do plan on making money with the characters I have made. Obviously it cannot infringe copyright to use paper cut out style because that is just a style . . . but these characters are clearly and distinctly south park. Eyes, head size, hands . . . I mean it almost looks like they are traced even.

If so, I am going to need to make some minor style changes.

Can you give me the address to the southpark boards you spoke of?
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Kedric

Post by Kedric »

Hotheads question was about the use of the halo characters rather than the use of the southpark style. Since I am animating a parody of the Halo characters I am covered under free use. I am even able to sell DVDs if I wanted too.

I am glad you raised the question, however, about the southpark style. At first, I did not think anything about it because you cannot copyright an animation style. That does not make any sense. Obviously, the South Park characters (Kenny, are copyrighted. I could understand why South Park Studios would get somebody in trouble for selling a T-shirt with one of their characters on it.

The question you have brought up, however, is whether it is okay/not okay to use a character style that is distinctly southpark . . . a look alike character as you put it. I searched the link you sent me and could not find any answers. My assumption going in is that this is a grey area. This probably has not been to court yet so there are not really an example cases.

Any thoughts?
Kedric

Post by Kedric »

Okay, my bad.

Look alike characters are definitely covered under copyright.

These characters will need to change a lot.

:-(

Sbtamu, I appreciate that you brought this up at this point. You have saved me a lot of time and possibly a lot of legal grief. Thanks! I am in your debt.
hothead

Post by hothead »

just want you to be on the right side of thing form the hard work you are doing