head turn- rotoscope

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

uddhava

head turn- rotoscope

Post by uddhava »

Hello,

Here is a partial head turn created by tracing over video footage. I'm trying to get some understanding of head turns and I am starting in this way. Please comment. Thanks.

udd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOObZ1IVx1U
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

You used layer sorting and animated line widths? Pretty good, certainly good as an exercise, at least. I will mention that such slow head turns are pretty rare in most cartoons (and I say this having experimented with head turns myself.) But if that's the effect you want, I say go for it.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

For some of my head turns I have traced the front and 3/4 views to create two morph targets. The facial features don't 'drift' so noticeably if I trace.
I'm now testing an idea I have to take four photos of a head model (I'm using a wig manikin) The four views are front eye level, above 3/4, below 3/4 and eye level side 3/4.
If it works the way I think it will then I can change the look of the faces and use the photos as reference for placement of eyes, nose, mouth etc.
I used rotoscope to get the motion of a bird wing which was all point motion.
Cheers, Larry
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I'm now testing an idea I have to take four photos of a head model (I'm using a wig manikin)
I would download Daz Studio and use their free models. Lot easier than taking a picture and importing. Also gives you a full model for reference.

http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=12194

Dale
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

neeters_guy wrote:You used layer sorting and animated line widths? Pretty good, certainly good as an exercise, at least. I will mention that such slow head turns are pretty rare in most cartoons (and I say this having experimented with head turns myself.) But if that's the effect you want, I say go for it.
Thanks for the comment neeters_guy. I was afraid no one would say anything because it is such a short animation.
You are correct about my methods. I'm glad it looks good as an exercise, that's mostly how I am using it. I am practicing head turns like this because having the film reference to work from makes it a lot easier for me to get started with them, although there are many animations made these days using rotoscoping also so it's good to practice that too.

Any way I'm glad it turned out okay and I will try doing some more. I could also study some head turns from animations. After some more of this I will create my own character and try a head turn with him.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

udd
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

neeters_guy wrote:You used layer sorting and animated line widths? Pretty good, certainly good as an exercise, at least. I will mention that such slow head turns are pretty rare in most cartoons (and I say this having experimented with head turns myself.) But if that's the effect you want, I say go for it.
Thanks for the comment neeters_guy. I was afraid no one would say anything because it is such a short animation.
You are correct about my methods. I'm glad it looks good as an exercise, that's mostly how I am using it. I am practicing head turns like this because having the film reference to work from makes it a lot easier for me to get started with them, although there are many animations made these days using rotoscoping also so it's good to practice that too.

Any way I'm glad it turned out okay and I will try doing some more. I could also study some head turns from animations. After some more of this I will create my own character and try a head turn with him.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

udd
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

At the end his right eye is wobbling a bit, which is disturbing. Most parts of a head should stay rigid, at least in this realistic style.

As neeters pointed out, such slow turns are rae anyway - but sometimes you need to do them. Here's a pointer to which meaning the timing of a head turn from one side to the other can carry:

This is from "Illusion of Life" p. 65. The number of inbetweens refer to 24fps.
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

Slowtiger,

Thanks for pointing out the mistake and for the funny but useful information from the "Illusion of Life."

udd
frobro

Post by frobro »

nicely done mate, the head is basic but the turn looks smooth & stylish
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

frobro wrote:nicely done mate, the head is basic but the turn looks smooth & stylish
Thanks!
Runfunky

Post by Runfunky »

Nicely done.