Frame by frame test

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GCharb

Frame by frame test

Post by GCharb »

Hello everyone.

A few days ago, after having a look at files donated by a kind user, I decided to do my own frame by frame workflow and I have been working on it since.

Here is the first scene I worked on. It is a scene with Tiana, a character from the Disney movie The princess and the Frog.

I have completed the first second of it, and here is how it looks so far.

http://www.mediafire.com/?a3agnnnp4guo789

This is my 4Th try at animating that first second of the scene, on this pass I got rid of the bones altogether, making it a full fledged frame by frame process.

So far I got down to around 20 minutes a frame, which is allot faster then the first pass which was over 45 minutes a frame.

The full scene should be around 8-10 seconds and I will post a new video every second.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Hey Gilles, it looks fantastic!
I would like to know if you needed some kind of special technique apart of (maybe bone and) point motion. Did you need some kind of masking, hide of shapes, or layer sorting?
-G
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello Genete.

Nothing, no masks, no switch layers, no actions, no bones, nothing but point motion.

24 fps on two's with steps as default interpolation.
capricorn33

Re: Frame by frame test

Post by capricorn33 »

Hey Gilles,

This is looking real solid!
GCharb wrote: This is my 4Th try at animating that first second of the scene, on this pass I got rid of the bones altogether, making it a full fledged frame by frame process.
So you tried the combined bones / points approach first, then? What was it that made you decide to leave out the bones pass and go for clean point animation? Just curious to know about your findings here. :)

cheers!
Last edited by capricorn33 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capricorn ( - just call me "cap")
children's tv pro, character animator
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

Hey Gilles, looks awesome.

Not that it doesn't look but it Is that finished?.. Just that you said 24fps on 2's with step interp, I wasnt sure if you intended to change the interp etc..

So to the layman(me) that is a new keyframe every 2 frames on step interp.... I guess that gives you an equivalent FBF from 12fps using a traditional drawing.

So I guess you need a decent drawing of the first frame and then push the points around.. scary.. sounds like a lot of work but the results speak for themselves.
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

It's looking great, well done! :D
DK

Post by DK »

Wonderfull work!!!

D.K

Post by 244233256 »

Although there is some wrong with my network
I can't open the download page
But read the reply, it seems good
I like the initiative to make animation
I like the others who think same as me
If you need help
if you do not mind making this animation with me
Please tell me
I'm glad to make it with you
My email address:244233256@qq.com
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello everyone!

capricorn, yes I tried using bones at first, but then decided to get rid of them since they we're a nuisance more then they we're helping.

I am taking allot from the movie, as this is an exercise in developing a work method, not one in making the most original animation, but I try to put some of my own along the way.

This said, might have been easier to make it from scratch.

Sven, it is not finished, only the first second, more to come.

Ulrik, DK, thanks. :)

244233256, maybe the service is blocked in China, I am emailing it to you!

Many thanks for your offer to help, but I see this as a personal exercise as I am developing a personal workflow with this! :)

I will post another one today.
DK

Post by DK »

capricorn, yes I tried using bones at first, but then decided to get rid of them since they we're a nuisance more then they we're helping.
I had to do the same. It's as if once you start delving into FBF and point animation bones become an anchor around your creativity and freedom of expression. I have actually developed my own skeleton structure for AS, designed to be more flexible than AS bones when fleshing out FBF ideas and motion in AS.

D.K
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

Really nice :-D Glad to see someone putting proof to practice of using AS for frame by frame.
capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

DK wrote: ..../ I have actually developed my own skeleton structure for AS, designed to be more flexible than AS bones when fleshing out FBF ideas and motion in AS. /....
That sounds very interesting! Could you elaborate a little, please?
I'm curious. :-)

cheers!
capricorn ( - just call me "cap")
children's tv pro, character animator
DK

Post by DK »

Please I don't want to hijack GCharbs thread as his work in this thread is wonderfull.

My skeleton still uses AS bones but the way they are used are a little different. I don't use bones to animate a character, only to plan out the motion I want to use. The skeleton is based on lines of movement but it is very flexible at shoulders and hips where the bones can be translated along the X axis if needed for walks etc. The head is a traditional split quarter view that uses switch layer interpolation for smoothness. I find the skeleton is non binding when used as a motion proxy to rotoscope a FBF character in AS.

http://www.polliefillers.com.au/forum/skelboybackup.swf

http://www.polliefillers.com.au/forum/run.swf

Cheers
D.K
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Go ahead, hijack, hijack please! :)
ponysmasher

Post by ponysmasher »

It looks great but why use step interpolation? Since it's all point motion wouldn't it look even better with smooth interpolation?