My cartoon series George and Mike

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cucumihai

My cartoon series George and Mike

Post by cucumihai »

Hey forum, I am new here and i'm glad i discovered you because you have great content and information about my favourite program, great job.
My most recent animation is a cartoon series named "George and Mike" and you can check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/totallyanimated

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Great characters. The only thing I see that you might want to improve is the blinks, they appear to "flash". Maybe hold the closed position for a few more frames before going to open. Other than that nice job. :)
cucumihai

Post by cucumihai »

Now, i have a switch layers with the eyes and a blank layer, i will make a closed eye vector-layer in that switch layer and make the blink 3 frames not 2, witch is how it is right now, and that should be smoother.
Thank you for your feedback. :)
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Nothing to crit about the animation and presentation. It's very clean and professional.

As for the premise, I might suggest making George and Mike a little more individual; as they are, I can't really tell them apart. Visual cues are good, but it would also help to contrast their personalities, eg., smart/naive, cynical/gullible, etc.

Also, there's this tendency to use bad language to make cartoons edgy. Except for the B.S. gag, I don't see that it adds anything. I'd consider toning it down to make it kid-friendly. (On the other hand, what do I know? It IS youtube, after all.)

Anyway, keep it up. Wishing you continued success!
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Good stuff! You have talent. I have a sense that your series will do well.
Cheers, Larry
cucumihai

Post by cucumihai »

Thank you.
As for the premise, I might suggest making George and Mike a little more individual; as they are, I can't really tell them apart. Visual cues are good, but it would also help to contrast their personalities, eg., smart/naive, cynical/gullible, etc.
I'm trying to do just that, i guess i need to try harder. We have many episodes on the way and I plan to improve something every episode, like...George will grow hair and things like that and i'll focus more on the characters individuality.
I didn't actually think about the bad language, english is not my first language and that sounded ok to me but the next plots will be rated E for sure.

Thank you for your constructive feedback, that helps. :)
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

I'm no pro but could have been if I didn't watch to many cartoons ;)

Yours is definitely something I could watch over and over.

really liked it.

My only comments are really minor ones pretty much mentioned already(since you asked for feedback ;) ).
* The blinks were distracting.. to fast and to many.
* more contrast on the characters as mentioned.
* maybe a change of framing once in a while.. a close up etc. not much.

I really liked the feel of it, the backgrounds and styling.. great job. I'm watching it again..now.
Sven
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
cucumihai

Post by cucumihai »

Thank you, i'm no pro either, still learning.
You're right, the blinks are indeed to many :D
I'll make the changes you mentioned for the next episodes.
Fulkster

Post by Fulkster »

'subscribed'... keep up the good work! :wink:
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I actually like the blink! I think it shows them to be hyperactive trouble maker. You can see their crazy mind working in overdrive.
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

ruscular3d wrote:I actually like the blink! I think it shows them to be hyperactive trouble maker. You can see their crazy mind working in overdrive.
your right it can portray that..you could also make them take short movements etc... For me it was just a little distracting as my eyes were drawn to the other character whilst listening (and admiring) the other talk...just seemed off.

of course, entirely up to personal interpretation. as this list of a dozen peoples thoughts shows.. "we blink for a reason...actors blink for another"
http://www.carlosbaena.com/resource/anim_Blinks.html
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
cucumihai

Post by cucumihai »

Which one do you guys think looks better?
http://www.mikescartoons.com/G&M-pur.swf
I like more the old blink.
Maybe i didn't do it good enough but i need a lot of movement from the eyes and that was the only way that came in my mind.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

I agree with ruscular3d. I like the old blink. I think it sets your characters apart. I study a lot of what I see in this forum because I have so much to learn but in the end I want to be unique. I think we all want to add something new to the mix.
Cheers, Larry
paulcopeland

Post by paulcopeland »

Yes, indeed, they are two great little characters. Well animated to without overdoing their movements.

Funny little story to :)

Keep up the great work.

Paul.
Get my free piano sheet music here http://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/pianoedition
shoepie

Post by shoepie »

Great job, I enjoyed those and agree with everything that's already been said. Look forward to watching more.

You should check out Jake and Amir on Youtube, made by collegehumour. It's a similar set-up with two work colleagues, one mostly annoying the other, and it has great individual characters.

And just to complicate things I prefer your new blink ;)

Oh and your youtube channel looks very nice, did you use a template or something?
ShoePie.co.uk - My animations.