Gone Fishin

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ToonLifeOnline

Gone Fishin

Post by ToonLifeOnline »

A couple of years ago I created a new series called Judson Boys with anime studio. I posted the episodes on here. I recently revisited the series but converted it to 3d. I thought I would share it here.

Watch the 3d Version.

Watch the original 2d episode made with anime studio

Thanks
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Heheh, to be honest I love them both, and me havin a fish trip comin soon, makes me wonder! :)
Diana Kennedy

Post by Diana Kennedy »

Ouch! Gods beware me of ever going fishing without at least wearing solid sunglasses!
As for which version I like better - this is difficult to say: For one it is obvious that the 3D Version is the newer one, animation there is smoother, there are also more details. But I am sich a fan of 2D...I do like the real toon appeal of the 2D version...Really hard to tell.
ToonLifeOnline

Post by ToonLifeOnline »

Thanks for the feedback. The issue for me is I agree the 3d overall looks better, however it also takes a lot longer to produce than the 2d version in anime studio. So do I make the change to 3d and produce less episodes with better quality or do I stay with 2d because I can produce them faster? This is a tough one.
Diana Kennedy

Post by Diana Kennedy »

Yes, it is a tricky question. I found out that the producing time is the one central issue when making animated films. Best would be to produce a regular series just as the Judson Boys, but how can one update this series in a regular way when making one episode takes this much time.

I don't know anything about 3D, but isn't it possible to create a personal content library, so re-using items would save you time?

Post by 94253 »

Wow; that looks really good! I especially like the background and your use of the props. A lot of 3D animations I see don't make such good use of props.

3D was my first introduction to animation. The learning curve was too intense for me!
ToonLifeOnline

Post by ToonLifeOnline »

Thanks! Yeah I can reuse pretty much anything. Even bone rigs. So that does save time. There are however many reasons it takes longer. There is no automated way to do lip syncing like papagayo for anime studio. I have found scripts to do it but they aren't accurate. The render time is one of my main concerns. For this episode of Judson Boys it was around 3 to 10 minutes per frame to render depending on where it was at in the scene. Suppose I could upgrade my computer. I have rendered other stuff that has taken a lot longer than that to render.

Overall I am starting to like the 3d look more. I have done a few Judson Boys comics in 3d recently and I really like it. It is really easy to do several camera angles. I will still definitely use anime studio because I love it. But I think for this series I may switch it over to 3d.
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

Have you experimented with mixing the 2 together and render out the 3D object to toon?
jjwinks

Post by jjwinks »

I think both look great, but 3D looks a little more clean and precise. The fact of the matter is you have the imagination and the follow-through to do well with either!