Goldfish - We Come Together (animated music video finished)

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Maestral

Post by Maestral »

It looks great. Well done, mate.

I really enjoyed the ride, tune is great and can`t wait to see it live. AS 3D scene looks much, much better then before. Also, following the evolution of celebrity`s cameo through this WIP is a pure bonus ,)

There`s just one thing, I was not aware of the moment when 3rd guy comes in. Alright, he was also disguised, he is with good guys, but since when? So sorry I haven`t spotted or mentioned it before, but I`m not quite sure if I understand the gesture of cat pianist (during the close up shot, before he winks), which should introduce him as a part of "the crew". But, it`s just me.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Hi Maestral,

Thanks, good point about keyboard cat, perhaps I can add something or an anticipation or something to make the wink more noticeable.
tonym

Post by tonym »

Wow, that video is impressive. I like it!

A few comments/suggestions...

When the worm drops down on second 3, it is not as visually noticeable as it needs to be, I think - the fishgirl is so visually interesting, I just look at her. If the worm dropped first into the center of the picture, then moved left, that might do the trick. Or something.

On second 4, I'm thinking that maybe the fishhook should poke through the cheek of the girl prior to her being reeled in by the baddies. Maybe it's just me, but the way it looks now, I image the hook is stabbing her through the roof of her palette and into her brain, and that's why she's cross-eyed - because she's been lobotomized. Yikes!

In the crocodile scene, the guys no longer wear the storm trooper helmets, but in the next scene they wear them again. Maybe the guys should wear the helmets in the crocodile scene, or maybe the helmets could be waiting on the other side of the crocodiles? Or something.

It looks like the guy whacks Kat$ha with his giant penis (ha ha). If that purple object is not supposed to be a penis but a tail or something else, you might consider making it less penis-like.

I bet a lot of people love the suitcase guy from your other Goldfish video. (I sure do!) If suitcase guy had a cameo somewhere in this video, it would be fun seeing him again.

Awesome work!

Tony
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Hi Tony,

Again, thanks, some awesome suggestions there ;)

Yes, didn't even think about the hook and its logistics. Lol. The cheek may be better.

Croc scene - thanks, totally missed that for continuity, will probably give them helmets, the whites should help them to stand out from background too.

The Ke$ha scene - well, that is kind of what's happening. Though for the scene where she chunders (vomits) on them my dad said that miffed him out and my mom said I could turn it into rainbow vomit. (I showed my folks for the first time this evening. They cam to visit. I like the rainbow suggestion ha ha).

The suitcase guy - yes perhaps a more prominent cameo. I've hidden him -

1:36 in painting on right and 1:48 one of the dancers in the crowd. However, he's kind of hidden to I may stick him in a more visible place.

Cool, thanks again.

Mike
tonym

Post by tonym »

Oh, there's the suitcase guy! I had a feeling he was in there somewhere, but failed to spot him.
kellz5460

Post by kellz5460 »

very very very nicely done- good job

i like how you did the colors on when they were singing on stage in the club- that is a good use of it very good
OMG make it stop!
impossibilia

Post by impossibilia »

I think that rainbow vomit really would work because of all the other rainbow attacks at that point in the video.

I've watched this now so many times that the song was running through my head continuously last night. The last draft of it looks fantastic!
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Here's a more recent version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO4PbMR7gY0

(Again, private link, would appreciate not posting it outside this forum, but its give and take, so I'm posting it here, I get good feedback and good suggestions)

Anyways, I'm going to change the bouncing - my brother pointed out there's too much of it and its not looking like a TV game anymore, so I'm doing *some* bouncing but I agree, I put too much in.

Also keeping the 'KATSHA' name up longer, and changing a bunch of other things, but, this is the most recent file when I started uploading.

I'm also going to speed up some of the 'sonic' type levels, as the ball moves a little slow in some of them. Want it to be quicker.

Again, any feedback welcome.

Thanks,

Mike
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I like to point out one major point here: Mike is not only asking for criticism, he's also willing to change his work, again and again, if necessary, until it's the best result he can achieve. It can't be stressed enough how important this character trait is when you really do animation professionally.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Hi Slow,

Thanks, yep, there's a law somewhere that says it generally takes 20% of the time to do 80% of the work, and 80% of the time to do the remaining 20% of the work.

Anyway, peoples please if I may implore you to look at this video that's nearly finished, I just want to take out some of the flashes and change the SMOOTH JAZZ text that I think is unreadable in one scene. Any other changes you think, please let me know:

http://vimeo.com/22928548

Many thanks,

Mike
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Aaand, more recent version without so much flashing:

http://vimeo.com/22978430

Also here's what the 3D scene's supposed to look like without so much compression:

http://vimeo.com/22526999

Thanks,

Mike
KenW

Post by KenW »

Awesome work!
tonym

Post by tonym »

Holy moley, with each awesome update it gets harder and harder to find things to say.

Warning: I am now entering my most critical mode.

Second 6, I think it should be incredibly obvious that fishgirl was abducted; however, the first time I watched the video, I totally missed it. The 2 seconds where the stormtroopers are operating a crane, I only looked at the nifty stormtroopers and didn't see her. Maybe add a scene where the stormtroopers are running away with fishgirl.

Second 9, it confuses me that the fish gets huge and muscular, then returns to normal, like he is no longer angry. Maybe he should express his rage in another dramatic way.

Second 14, I would like to see the characters animated more: eyes squinting, a mouth snarling. Something.

Second 37, it seems like the cat waits too long before moving and attacking with the rainbow. He is like a statue. Maybe bob his head a little to show he's alive.

Second 53, the fish takes too long to hit the stormtrooper. The previous two stormtroopers were hit in such a way that it created a rhythm, and then the fish breaks the rhythm.

Minute 1:03, maybe lose the blood on the leg (keep the band-aid). The redness of the blood distracts attention away from the underwear.

Minute 1:07, Katsha should look angrier.

Minute 1:10, I think the cannonball should be the last thing the guys do to Katsha, and the order of the other two attacks reversed. To be clear, the attack order should be: penis whack, surfboard to the eye, then cannonball. Penis whack should come before surfboard to the eye because we don't see a surfboard in her eye during the penis whack. Then cannonball is last because it blasts Katsha out of the scene.

The piano-playing cat at minute 1:41 joins the band - and this confuses me. I'm like...what? Isn't the band all about killing jazz musicians? Maybe the cat could be wearing a mind-control helmet and the fish knocks the helmet off and frees the cat from jazz? Or the cat could be chained to the piano and his chains get cut off and he joins the band?

At minute 2:19 you might include a quick shot of the fish looking out a window and seeing the bomb, that way we can conclude that the fish knew he had to save the band.

At around minute 3:10, the fishbot eats some stormtroopers and then stomps his foot to the music. I really like the foot stomp and would like to see him stomp his foot a couple more times.

Minute 3:12, I'd like to see the fishbot pet the cat harder and in rhythm to the music.

Minute 3:15, I thought I was looking into the barrel of a space-age cannon or gun, but eventually figured out it was the back of fishbot's head. Maybe light it differently?

Minute 3:22, I don't like the sideways figure eight that represents running legs. Maybe tank treads instead? Or wheels?

I was a little disappointed that blue Garfield didn't attack at all. Can he do something violent? Laser beams? Toss a pan of lasagna?

Maybe when the fishbot is running at blue Garfield, it could jump over a litterbox with catpoop in it?

Minute 3:31 is wordy. I think you could leave out "Thank you Goldfish!" and even "We present you a new dimension." Maybe the text could be shortened to something like, "Goldfish is victorious! Press B for a new dimension."

Awesome work, man!

Tony
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Hiya Tony,

Wowzers man, you're great at this! Thank you!

This is a comprehensive list and I'd agree with each of these points. Lemme see what I can get to with this.

Thanks,

Mike
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Also I should mention that the clip's not so much about nailing jazz musicians but more 'smooth' jazz musicians. Ain't got no beef with the jazz musos. I'm a jazz fan and even Dave & Dom from Goldfish are both accomplished jazz musos. I wonder if there's a way I can stress that its the smooth jazz that's getting smashed here.