More character portraits

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Vagabond

More character portraits

Post by Vagabond »

I've taken a break from learning backgrounds and have been practicing my character creation. I see what people mean by improving the drawing tools in AS. Blending shapes, BRIGHT soft spots, textured fills, and depth are hard to achieve. What do you think so far? Anyone have advice for a struggling artist?

PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Seems that somebody have been working hard :)
The face of the last one was really amazing, soon you could be getting an 100% realistic face.
Paul Mesken

Re: More character portraits

Post by Paul Mesken »

Vagabond wrote:I've taken a break from learning backgrounds and have been practicing my character creation. I see what people mean by improving the drawing tools in AS. Blending shapes, BRIGHT soft spots, textured fills, and depth are hard to achieve. What do you think so far? Anyone have advice for a struggling artist?
What is your goal? It's clear you're working from photos. And you're mixing styles, realistic shading and outlined parts mixed together. If you're looking for heightened realism (as opposed to 100% realism which is very easy to achieve, tons of books out there which teach regular people to draw photo realism in 3 days) then Adam Hughes' site might be interesting to you.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

I think gradient needs tranparency but achieving blending shapes, BRIGHT soft spots, textured fills, and depth is not that hard in AS.
I specially think that the soft edge effect is really nice.
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

PARKER wrote:Seems that somebody have been working hard :)
The face of the last one was really amazing, soon you could be getting an 100% realistic face.
Thanks! Each one of these are rigged and some have actions already. Unfortunately, I'm having a little trouble with Rudiger's MorphDials.

But, here's a pic that has me frustrated...

PARKER, how in the world did you do Beiber's hair?!!? :shock: I used strokes with a line width of 1 that tapered to 0 at the ends. The actual points are visible. When I applied a soft edge of 1 then some of the ends disappeared.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

What trouble are you having with morphdials?
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Vagabond

Re: More character portraits

Post by Vagabond »

Paul Mesken wrote:What is your goal? It's clear you're working from photos. And you're mixing styles, realistic shading and outlined parts mixed together. If you're looking for heightened realism (as opposed to 100% realism which is very easy to achieve, tons of books out there which teach regular people to draw photo realism in 3 days) then Adam Hughes' site might be interesting to you.
Good call!! I like Adam Hughes' style very much. Selgin posted this link in another thread
viewtopic.php?t=14313
I hadn't thought about it. i was just experimenting but I will be conscience of mixing the styles in the future.
thanks
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

sbtamu wrote:What trouble are you having with morphdials?
Um... I just reinstalled it on ASP6 and it's working now. I was getting Lua Console errors until I added the Menu scripts to create and bake morphs.

I thought they were optional.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Adam Hughes' works look very impressive, i like his style, when im free i will check it out more closely, thanks for the link.
Vagabond wrote:
PARKER, how in the world did you do Beiber's hair?!!? :shock: I used strokes with a line width of 1 that tapered to 0 at the ends. The actual points are visible. When I applied a soft edge of 1 then some of the ends disappeared.
Use thicker strokes then, that should solve it.
Kalamonkey

Post by Kalamonkey »

" a struggling artist?" What part of you is struggling? You got mad skills!
"No one ever said the story has to make sense!"

http://www.youtube.com/KalamonkeyTV
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Kalamonkey wrote:" a struggling artist?" What part of you is struggling? You got mad skills!
THANKS!

I was stuck in between a realistic style and a cartoon style. It's taking forever to make actions for the characters.