Making of 'Goldfish - Get Busy Living'

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mikdog

Making of 'Goldfish - Get Busy Living'

Post by Mikdog »

Hi all.

I made a 'making of' video for the animated music video I made for Goldfish's song 'Get Busy Living'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8v80g7n1Cc

Had about an hour's worth of footage, edited it down to 2:50.

Peace,

Mike
tonym

Post by tonym »

What a bummer. You look nothing like your animated avatar.

Apart from that, excellent video! I learned stuff.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

thanks for sharing this! I learned stuff, too. :) Is there an advantage to the photoshop to AS workflow over drawing straight into something like toon boom?
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Thanks guys.

Iwa> I like the feel of drawing in Photoshop. Toon Boom is pretty good but the colour management makes it difficult (for me) to be free. The drawing tools are also all vector based ... I get a much more natural 'feel' in Photoshop with my tablet using pressure sensitivity for brush opacity and size, and having the colours mix together a bit over each other, using a textured brush (TB also has textured brushes in Animate Pro - I have Animate 2 (not pro) ).

Anyways, I'm using Toon Boom Animate 2 for a personal project now and its different to Photoshop, but I'm working with it, quite enjoyable.
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

Thanks for the information. I was curious about your use of Photoshop and ASP. I can learn from this. You're so young!

udd
Kalamonkey

Post by Kalamonkey »

Thanks for posting that! Please make more! I am always curious on other artists methods!
"No one ever said the story has to make sense!"

http://www.youtube.com/KalamonkeyTV
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Ha ha, yep think I will make more if I do another project in AS. It'd also be nice to get a license for Screen Flow so I can get rid of that watermark.

Thanks,

Mike
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Thanks for sharing Mikdog - funny putting a face to you after so long... not like I imagined, although I don't know what I imagined... :P

I'd be very interested to see a little more detail on how you animate your PNG characters in AS - you really skimmed over what is the most useful gem of information for me! :) if you get the time, I'd love to get an insight to your techniques in AS...

All the best!
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

hiya yep kind of skimped on the AS stuff. If I do another think I may do a bunch more AS coverage. Thanks
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

I didnt se too much information about the role of AS in the video yet i loved it.
I hope you keep posting more videos like this.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Hey mikdog, what can you tell me about that cintiq, is it great? i have been thinking in may be buying one but im not sure if its better to get the cintiq 21ux or the cintiq 12wx, isnt the screen of this last one too small?
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

My ad-hoc 12wx Wacom Cintiq review (put this here so that perhaps a Google search might turn this up in case anyone else is wondering what a 12wx is like)

Yep the Cintiq 12wx is great - BUT only if you get a SmudgeGuard glove! Serious - I had my 12wx up for sale on a website because I wasn't enjoying it too much and preferred my Wacom Intuos 3 tablet. The cintiq would get hot under my hand, my skin would impede the smooth flow of my hand over the tablet, just wasn't quite what I was hoping for. Then I took the advice of a website I read where somebody mentioned this little glove that made the thing awesome. I ordered it from the States (in fact a kind forum member here, neeters_guy, ordered it for me in exchange for one of my comic books if I remember correctly) and this glove made the world of difference. My hand doesn't get hot, it glides smoothly - Wacom should really sell these gloves with the tablet.

Anyway, thanks to a nifty little glove (I tried making my own, didn't work) the Cintiq rocks super hard. You could get a 21" but I tend to be on the move a bit and the 12wx is about the same size as a 17" macbook so I can pack it into my backpack with my smaller laptop. Not sure if I'd be comfortable carting around a 21" thing.

Also, there's a lot of wiring with the cintiq. Its like, a separate graphical box thing that has its own power supply, then a USB cable coming from that, the wire for the cintiq itself, as well as a DVI plug to plug into your computer. Not too bad once you've shoved it all out the way, but the elegant simplicity of the Intuos' 1 wire is much neater.

Would I recommend it? Yes. It cost me an arm and a leg (not really an arm and a leg but it was pricey in South Africa) but its paid for itself, I get a different feeling with it compared to my Intuos, I'm much more precise with it, though I still use my Intuos at times.

Also the cintiq now has 4 point calibration so its a lot more accurate than it used to be. I got it when it only had 2 point calibration so at the edges the cursor would jitter. A new driver fixed that. I found this purely by chance while trolling on the internet.

Uhm...what else. Downside to the cintiq is that my posture is hunched a bit now, so my neck takes a bit of strain. With the Intuos 3 I was looking at more of a horizontal angle at the screen which was a little friendlier to my back.

Hope this helps.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

When I tried to order the gloves online, the paypal option wasn't working well, so I placed the order by phone (I think I spoke to the inventor herself). Hopefully the online pay option has been sorted. Anyway, to be complete, here's the link: SmudgeGuard
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hey, as many here, it surprises me to see your real face. I always thought you were a black non shirt guy with a cat on the head.
Nice video, I hope to see more of that kind in the future. More if them involves your work, which is always awesome.

Ah, you just convinced me to buy the glove, so go and collect your commission with the smudgeguard guys :wink:
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Ha ha. I do walk around in my underwear a lot if that's any consolation. And I'm almost sure you're a duck that never stops walking.

Re: glove, really is worth it. It may sound like I'm affiliated with the SmudgeGuard people/person what with all my praise - but its just such a necessary item. I don't ever use the Cintiq without it.

If I do another big project I'll consider doing another making of thing. I have a few projects in progress right now that I didn't start a making of ... sometimes they just start out as rough ideas and I'm not sure what will work out. Then in hindsight I realize I could have done a making of thing.

Anyways, getting a ScreenFlow license might be a good move so I can record my screen without a watermark.