SMSfinder TV ad (ASP & Toon Boom)

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mikdog

SMSfinder TV ad (ASP & Toon Boom)

Post by Mikdog »

Hi,

I made this ad last year but don't think it ever went to TV. I used Anime Studio Pro for the text bits, prepped the text in Photoshop first (long way to do it) and did the character animation in Toon Boom Animate 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSRpddAO6cg

Anyways, found it the other day and quite liked it. One of my first attempts at hand-drawn animation.

Mike
reneuend

Post by reneuend »

nice drawings.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Did you do more drawings for this than usual? This looks smoother than your other works. Could be just me. :?

Very professional and nice style on characters.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Thanks. Yes, more drawings than usual. Used a Wacom Cintiq to draw straight into TBAnimate2. I got given a layout of the scene - guy, tv, couch. I restyled him a bit but used the colours. He had a remote in his left hand but that was asked to later be removed.

Anyways, a good learning exercise for the software for me.
hothead

Post by hothead »

Honestly is TB better than AS I know that tb is harder to use but i Want to hear from someone who master AS to me tb but it harder to use. Out of 10 you vern slowtiger parker ponysmasher who else i forget are 10 out of 10 At drawing, animating etc BUT I AM 2 OUT OF 10. I know how to use both 6 TB... 8 AS... Out of 10.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

hey hothead thanks for the props.

TB is better at frame-by-frame drawing, by far, than AS. However, AS is better (I think) at doing other things, like moving things around the screen, but to be honest I haven't really learned to do what I used to do in AS, in TB. TB could probably do the same stuff but I really like how AS handles keyframes and its different channels for various animation ... things. So at the moment I'm using both: AS and TB. However, I normally use AS in conjunction with Photoshop - draw my stuff in Photoshop and 'animate' it in AS.

I got TB because I wanted to be able to make the process quicker - drawing and animating together instead of hacking it in Photoshop.

At the moment I'm doing a music video in TB and it seems to be working quite well. I agree, TB is difficult to get used to but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Took me a while and some determination to get my head around TB's setup coming from AS. I'm still not comfortable with how TB handles interpolation and how to manage it all, but being able to draw in TB and sequence it up is great.

If I started with TB I may have learned how to do a whole lot more with it than I currently am. I've used MOHO for years - if only it had drawing tools comparable to Photoshop I could have drawn everything in AS and may not even have needed to buy TB.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Nice work Mikdog, i not only like the animation but the look of your character as well, it really looks handrawn made thanks to TB powerful drawing tools.
I just hope to be free soon to study more this interesting software, meanwhile i will be pushing AS to its limits :) .
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

hothead wrote:Honestly is TB better than AS I know that tb is harder to use but i Want to hear from someone who master AS to me tb but it harder to use. Out of 10 you vern slowtiger parker ponysmasher who else i forget are 10 out of 10 At drawing, animating etc BUT I AM 2 OUT OF 10. I know how to use both 6 TB... 8 AS... Out of 10.
I dont think im a 10 at drawing in AS, at least not yet but thanks hothead, that was flattering :) .

I think if AS had some improvements in its drawing tools and a BETTER frame by frame would be almost perfect.
hothead

Post by hothead »

slowtiger notice how the quality of this video how the colour look just like 90% of the cartoon i see on tv today very pretty. Do you remember when i think it was you mikdog do a colour comparison between TB and AS by far i would watch the cartoon create in TB than in AS in has a more cartoon look. Only a expert at AS can get the same colour quality like in TB. if a 5 year old child use TB for the first time to draw a red square in TB, it well take you five year (I'm 26) just to get the same colour quality with AS... hope you get the point i am making.
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Good Job! I like the pastel colors and the slight noise effect on the lines. I don't think AS can do "subtle" noisy vectors.
Did you really do all the text in photoshop then import into AS? That does seem like the long way since you have some words animated individually. But the outcome is excelent.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Vagabond wrote:Good Job! I like the pastel colors and the slight noise effect on the lines. I don't think AS can do "subtle" noisy vectors.
Did you really do all the text in photoshop then import into AS? That does seem like the long way since you have some words animated individually. But the outcome is excelent.
I think you could do it in AS, you just would have to know the correct settings for the noise of the vector layers.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Hothead im not sure to get your point, why somebody woulndt be ale to get that kind of colors in AS? i think the software perfeclty could do it, when i make an object its color in the working area will be the same as the exported
image file.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

HH is right. My PNG's in Photoshop > AS do get way washed out when exporting from AS...or maybe its just the export from Photoshop to .PNG. Can't seem to retain the vibrant colour I get in Photoshop. Anybody know the correct settings to keep the nice colour from PS when exporting PNG's? Also, TB's colour export is pretty good I gotta say.

I created the 'lineboil' effect by doing multiple drawings of held poses.
hothead

Post by hothead »

Well said Mikdog. Some people wont face the fact when i speak About things that AS Cannot do i think i can be a beta tester thanks for been honest Mikdog you are a real 2d expert
shift

Post by shift »

Nice commercial...pity it never aired.