my short "The Ninjews: Goy-L Trouble" on Heeb Maga

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

basshole

my short "The Ninjews: Goy-L Trouble" on Heeb Maga

Post by basshole »

Hi guys. I posted about a festival screening recently, but here is the short you guys all helped with (which you may regret after seeing it). The (formerly in print) Heeb Magazine website liked it and wanted to host it, so here it be:

http://www.heebmagazine.com/ninjews-take-on-a-catholic-demon/

Synopsis:

Yoav and Fyvush Goldsteinfeldbergowitzblumbaum are your average mohels (that’s “professional foreskin removers” to you gentiles) with secret identities as Jewish ninja superheroes. When Fyvush begins dating a Catholic woman, Yoav tries to put his reservations aside and be open-minded. But is this apparently sweet girl all she seems? (PSSST. . . she’s not. She’s a demonic supervillain out to convert everyone to Catholicism. Damn, I spoiled it. Sorry

I'm sure I don't have to tell you all that some may find this highly offensive. Advance warning.
tonym

Post by tonym »

Simultaneously one of the funniest and most offensive cartoons I have ever seen. I have an urge to compliment you while suffocating you with a pillow made from your own skin.

Tony

Write More!!!!!!!!!

Post by 1999 »

Nice,no slack at all. :lol:
basshole

Post by basshole »

Thanks guys. Glad you like.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

It's manically hilarious (that showdown was brilliant), but holy #$%#!! you're going to burn in you-know-where for that! :shock:
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I usually do not watch any animations that are longer than 2 minutes when they are posted here but I could not hit the stop button on this one.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

sbtamu wrote:I usually do not watch any animations that are longer than 2 minutes when they are posted here but I could not hit the stop button on this one.
Same here. Very heretically funny.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
tonym

Post by tonym »

Now that you've released your cartoon, you should create a website or a Facebook page ASAP. Your bio and contact information need to be out there. Studios may want to commission a cartoon or hire you as a writer.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

tonym wrote:Now that you've released your cartoon, you should create a website or a Facebook page ASAP. Your bio and contact information need to be out there. Studios may want to commission a cartoon or hire you as a writer.
...or initiate an intifada...!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
basshole

Post by basshole »

That's sweet. But way ahead of you. . .had FB since last year and my own site since 2005. . .ish.
tonym

Post by tonym »

Oh, I assumed you didn't since you didn't include any URLs in your cartoon.

Good for you, making people have to use a search engine to find out if you have a website.
basshole

Post by basshole »

Firstly, OUCH!

Secondly, shit. I seriously never thought of that. I have that on my camerawork demo reel (my "work" is video production) but never thought of it for my movies. Maybe 'cause I'm usually hosting on my site, or from my youtube account as oppposed to some totally random site that has nothing to do with me.

It's a great idea and I'll start doing it from now on. too late for the one on this site though. . .I'm pretty sure the Heeb site won't take another upload just to change that. But if it gets hosted anywhere else like that it'll be a branded version.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Excellent writing and animation. Really very well done!
~Danimal
gravly

Post by gravly »

a jew-el of animation

erk. I mean I like it a lot. Clean animation moves - you have nice precise keyframe timings, camera moves etc. I'd like to know how you achieved that.
basshole

Post by basshole »

Thanks. I'm surprised at the compliments on the animation from this crowd, since I've seen many of the work samples here and they greatly surpass my own. I also KNOW there are places where it's weak (no tweens when character turns to face opposite direction, walk cycle, lip sync), but I let it go in the interest of time/effort vs payoff (this thing, since I started, took about 2.5 years. . .for a 13 minute movie).

As for the precise timing, not sure what you mean? Gestures matched to emphasize certain words? Used the sequencer to line up each line of dialogue, and just figured out where each movement needed to be to accent a word, for instance.

I'd sit there and say each line to myself while moving around and trying to find where I could put gestures and where those gestures should begin (beginning of word, second syllable, etc.) and how long they should go.

If I'd been smart I would have videotaped myself doing each line and just copied the movements and timings from the tape.

Not sure about the camera moves either. . .I know there's not much fancy stuff going on. If you mean the editing, I actually let a lot of shots go long, if they weren't "continuous" (meaning, cutting from a WS to a CU of a character while he's talking). I'd leave a second or so of pad so I could control the timing in Final Cut Pro (easier to trim down then to add, right?)

All in all, there was a lot of animation rendering, cussing, then readjusting, over and over 'til I was happy with every little thing. Couldn't see the "real" timing in ASP 'cause it was so slow and stuttery with the hundreds of layers simultaneously. So toward the end I started rendering out almost every shot and tweaking it to perfection before moving on.

Looks like I may get another chance to brand this and put it online. . .another site is interested in hosting it.