A poster from Eddie Jones

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

illbill

A poster from Eddie Jones

Post by illbill »

OK... Still not sure on the fonts but getting better... Thought you guys might like to see some of the other characters.

ill

CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

This looks GREAT!

How long did it take you to do?
15 year old Anime Studio user...
27/12/06: Im back and ready to get creating again!!
illbill

Post by illbill »

The chartacters took a few weeks to get the look I wanted (from pencil sketch to Moho). Once they were built I just started arrnaging pieces of them in this poster format in Moho. The poster probably took around two hours to get how I wanted.

Thanks for liking it!
Regul8R

Post by Regul8R »

nice work,characters look great.
look forward to seeing them animated!

jay b
Blessings for you, but none for me....
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

A lot better, maybe you should make the title in a light color so it catches the eye more. And since it seems to be Sci-Fi themed perhaps a metallic surface on the text. The other characters look nice, I'm not too sure about the layout though. The last couple of years movie posters have become lazy photoshop cut-n-paste jobs with famous faces instead of coherent and well-designed posters. I blame the smaller DVD sleeves just like CD killed original LP sleeves. Your layout is a bit in that vein, slightly better mind you, but in this case the "actors" aren't famous characters so a big face has no meaning.

In my opinion a good poster should set the correct tone for the movie and introduce some content without giving away the complete story. It should dare me to see the movie. If I would brainstorm about your poster (only my opinion, feel free to disregard) I'd say; The girl looking at Eddie is fine, a "big brother is watching you" theme and the attention goes to Eddie. I'd have Eddie shoot off slightly off screen and look off-screen. What's outside of the frame? What is he shooting? I want to know! The blue dude is probably the weak point, in particular showing the feet. He is not standing behind Eddie put he is pasted in without context. Have him looking the same direction as Eddie with an emotion like anger or fear. Maybe a balled fist or better, yet, INJURED! By the threat off screen. The blue/green circle in the back breaks up the symmetry, that's good but is it a planet or just a circle? Also, if you add the cast/crew credits in the bottom as in other posters it fills the screen nicely and makes it look instantly professional. If you do everything by yourself that makes it more difficult :)

Is the triangular design rule you applied on purpose or are you following the conventional rules automatically? If so I'm impressed!

Anyway, long story but I'm looking forward to the rest.

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

nobudget wrote:Is the triangular design rule you applied on purpose or are you following the conventional rules automatically? If so I'm impressed!
Can you elaborate on this, please? Is the the golden ratio you're talking about here?
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

illbill,

And don't forget the tagline!

jorgy
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Jorgy, yes we seem to be talking about the same thing. I've found two examples that might be useful for those interested:

http://powerretouche.com/Divine_proportion_tutorial.htm
A tutorial for a PS plug-in.

http://members.tripod.com/mcrae_tony/citizen_kane.htm
About the movie Citizen Kane, famous for the camera framing...and a thin Orson Welles...

I'm not an expert in this field. It has all faded into a part of my memory, I'm more a pratical than theoretical designer but in this picture it was really evident so I thought I'd ask...to sound like I know wot um talkin' 'bout... :oops:

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
illbill

Post by illbill »

I think sometimes it creeps its way into my work (I drew comics for awhile so I find a lot of what I studied while doing that seems to get put in from my subconscious) but I don't generally follow it as a rule it sometimes just seems to work out that way.

Thanks for the critiques and the thoughts I really appreciate it. I'm really working hard to get this thing done... well at least a trailer first. Hopefully I will have some animation posted soon! I tell you though, with all the great advice I may have to add you guys to the credits! :D