My Anime Studio reel 2010

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

My Anime Studio reel 2010

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, I just actualized my curriculum and created a new reel.
If anyone wants to contact me for a job, don't hesitate to send me a PM. I have a proto family to feed :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KC3_fWwViE&fmt=18
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

Great Video Selgin. Some of the files have you have put in the forum. I like the mainly that Underwater Scene. Thanks for sharing.
Genete

Post by Genete »

I'm your fan mate!
-G
knunk

Post by knunk »

Some really nice work on there mate. For me though I think it needs cutting down. Most people that view reels (which I used to do a lot) wont make it to the end. You have some great stuff on there at the back end that will get missed. I'd take out the cycles and tests. The ship is impressive from an AS perspective but any employer wont care. I'd lose it myself... Be honest and cut anything you feel is weak. Also I'd just put it out as your animation real. Forget about software. You have to compete on animation only.

nice work though Selgin.

Jez
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

knunk wrote:Most people that view reels (which I used to do a lot) wont make it to the end.
Jez
Wow, it's less than 2 minutes too. That's a tough audience. I guess you just have to blow them away in the first 10 seconds.

Good work as usual and good luck!
knunk

Post by knunk »

actually its 30 seconds NG ..if you are lucky. Most reels get turned of after the first shot. Think Im joking if you wish.

I'm just saying there's some great work on there and some not so great. And it needs cutting down. I actually think Selgin is a very talented guy. I like his work very much. Im offering advice to help him.

Selgin I hope you take no offence. Im commenting only because I think you're work is worth it.

cheers

Jez
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Selgin, some great and diverse work there :)
You could do a short version too? the length fits the music very well, was this a consideration for the length? Still I don't have the experience of Jez on this front so don't mind it so much, but from a 'studio hiring' standpoint, Jez probably knows what he's talking about...

Welcome back to the land of the living knunk ;)
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Some fantastic nice work Selgin, congratulations!!

btw, I don't think it's too long at all..... :D
knunk

Post by knunk »

There's no point talking about it on here, but if you need any help give me a PM Selgin.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Thank you all for the nice comments.
Jez, I really respect your work and your opinion and feel you are right. I just thought two minutes was short enough, but I agree with you and I'll try to make a shorter version.
Actually, what I tried to do was maintain the level overall the reel, that's why some of my favorites are at the middle and end of the video.
I named it "Anime Studio" reel because I want to be teacher of how to animate in AS. This software has became very popular in Chile and (I swear I don't want to sound arrogant) I don't know anyone here which knows more about it than me. So that's my point with naming it that way.
I'm want to show my reel and my curriculum around schools and universities, I shaved my beard today and tomorrow I will cut my hair. maybe I even comb it. Wish me luck :wink:

PD: Funksmaname, I really like that music, so I cutted the song a little bit to make it last around two minutes and then started to compile the reel. It was very hard to chose a song, I didn't wanted to have something too "cool" so I thought a lot on Violeta Parra, one of my favorite chilean artists, but no one of her songs worked well for my taste, so rather I wanted something funnier, like this, but not so far. That's the story.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

selgin wrote:maybe I even comb it.
Too funny.

Your work is excellent and really fun to watch. I can definitely identify 5 or 6 favorites. If it were my reel I would focus in on those.

The tricky part is that some have a very upbeat mood and others are more dramatic feeling like your whale animation (my fav). I don't know how people in the industry look at reels, but my instinct is that the music should capture and enhance the emotional impact of the strongest pieces of animation. I think your dramatic and light-hearted pieces could be brought together in a "life is beautiful" kind of sentiment. I think that would play to your strengths and really make your reel stand out.
2ner

Post by 2ner »

Awesome stuff Selgin! :shock:

A joy to watch, really. :D

Editing with the music is great, but for a demo reel you really should put your best stuff first because people really will turn it off after the first shot because they're sitting there watching hundreds of demo reels. :wink:

So you want to teach animation? I think you'll be a great teacher. In that case, maybe your demo real is very well designed for the intended audience.

Good luck! :D
Poptoogi

Whoa...

Post by Poptoogi »

Awesome, awesome stuff man!!! Your work is not only amazing because of the animation but also the amount of various styles you used too. A sign of a truly great artist! I love it all!
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
fracturedray

Post by fracturedray »

Great work Slegin.

I can understand the 30 second rule, I've seen my fair share of bad reels and I can imagine if you are hiring you have to dig through thousands of reels so even 30 second can be hard to give.

Wish my animation was as good as Slegin's. Maybe I'd get a little bit of a foot in the door. :)

Good luck on the teaching job hunt.
Hi animation world.
dm

Post by dm »

Reel length and content depend on intended final result. If you want to be hired as an animator at 'Joe's Animation Mill', then you are just one of a thousand faceless animators looking to work. In that case, the first 30 sec count. BUT, if your reel is too short, that can backfire on you too. "Huh? That's all there is? He hasn't done much, has he?" I think I'd rather turn off something a minute into it and have more to see than to have it just end.

read this: http://www.pixar.com/companyinfo/jobs/howto.html

I agree with Jez. Get rid of the weak stuff. It just comes off as filler.

If you're trying to sell yourself as a teacher to a school, then I think you need to tune your reel to address that potential audience. They probably don't care about how well you can animate, or use software. They need to be sold on the idea that their organization is going to profit from what you want to teach.

In other words, tune your reel to your audience.

relative story: I know a psychologist who makes his living getting funding for stupid ideas that he sells to the school district. He makes books with proposals and all sorts of nonsense data about how kids are going to benefit from his programs. Graphs and charts and facts and figures and bizarre assumptions. He lives very well. The educational establishment thrives on that junk. Perhaps you need to do a little bit of that as well.

Regardless of your desired results, remember that you're advertising yourself, and you have to think of your target audience and cater to them.

-dm