BINO AND FINO.

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

xothermik

BINO AND FINO.

Post by xothermik »

Hello every one. recently started work on a children's cartoon called bino and fino. its still pretty much in the character and visual development stage right now but we are starting to get comfortable with the look and might not deviate from what we currently have much. here's a simple test animation of the main characters they were actually supposed to be stills to try out the concept sketches but the director wanted to see them move right away and though i didnt set them up for animation, still managed to get them do some basic stuff. would greatly appreciate your views and comments. more to come as it unfolds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grMw7SQxM3w
Last edited by xothermik on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I like the characters and background design. I'm not sure how HIT Entertainment would react to Thomas The Tank Engine in the background though?
xothermik

Post by xothermik »

:shock: great point man. thats why im posting the tests here. keep em comming. thanks.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Looks like a cool show. I love the girl character! My main crit. on the character design is that the eyes don't look right to me and they make me feel tense. Children usually have eyes relatively further apart than adults, but these characters' eyes here are very close together. Hope you don't mind that I drew up some eye ideas. I think you could really do a lot with these characters so it might be worthwhile to try lots of variations in design and overall style.

xothermik

Post by xothermik »

wow :cry: . i certainly don't mind at all. i actually didn't do the main character design although we collectively experimented to get here those eyes. i really hope you would continue to assist on this project as it seems you are pretty experienced with character design. by the way i love the sketches. im officially stalking you dude.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Xothermilk--I see now that my previous post sounded rude. I'm really sorry if I offended. I'm definitely no expert on character design, drawing, animation, etc. My eye suggestion was just based on my own personal reaction. Didn't mean to imply that my opinion was the "correct" opinion. Anyway, I really like the concept you have here and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the project!
xothermik

Post by xothermik »

rude? offended? nah not that easily. thanks anyway i plan to keep u guys posted as it unfolds and especially when i have issues :lol:
xothermik

Post by xothermik »

hi guys. got some new designs for grandma and grandpa. looks like the project is heading to more of cut out animation. was applying some of those fancy rigging and even contemplating some blend morphing but again the director asked me to just make the limbs non flexible and solid in true cut out fashion. well certainly saves me some work though. what do you guys think?

Last edited by xothermik on Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
lpbaker

Post by lpbaker »

I think those designs look great, especially the fabrics on Grandma :)

~ Lindsay
My website --> http://www.lpbaker.com
My most recent animation --> http://www.vimeo.com/13665264
fracturedray

Post by fracturedray »

The eyes for the adults look great but the young girl's eyes need tweaking like lwaxana suggested.

I did a few quick eye studies. The one on the top right is close to what the girl has right now which in my mind looks too mature. Also on the girl's eye it that black line supposed to be an eye lash on the top. It is in an odd place if it is. Also where are her eyebrows?
I'd recommend something like the one on the lower right. That way it is a little similar to the woman's eye design.

I really really like the woman's design. Very well done and very interesting. She however makes the old man and son look very dull. :) Are you going to add a pattern to the guy's clothes? I think it would help. Also in the last picture you almost loose the young girls hair in the man's dark blue outfit. I'd recommend lightening the man's out fit at the very least.
Hi animation world.
xothermik

Post by xothermik »

lpbaker
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:26 am Post subject:
I think those designs look great, especially the fabrics on Grandma Smile

~ Lindsay
thanks u very much lindsay.
fracturedray
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:32 am Post subject:
The eyes for the adults look great but the young girl's eyes need tweaking like lwaxana suggested.

I did a few quick eye studies. The one on the top right is close to what the girl has right now which in my mind looks too mature. Also on the girl's eye it that black line supposed to be an eye lash on the top. It is in an odd place if it is. Also where are her eyebrows?

I'd recommend something like the one on the lower right. That way it is a little similar to the woman's eye design.

I really really like the woman's design. Very well done and very interesting. She however makes the old man and son look very dull. Smile Are you going to add a pattern to the guy's clothes? I think it would help. Also in the last picture you almost loose the young girls hair in the man's dark blue outfit. I'd recommend lightening the man's out fit at the very least.
yeah those eyes. we are still experimenting. nice of you to provide some ideah's too. yeah and those are lashes and the team right now feels she does'nt need brows but like i said we are still experimenting.
for the old man we kinda delibrately made him a bit dull to give a hint of his laid back character while the woman a contrast to him a lively person. but yeah we noticed and partly from feedback from our facebook page that we might have underplayed him too much a bit so we are working on some textures for him too. nothing too explosive but something to lighten him up like you pointed out.
keep those comments comming in please
xothermik

Post by xothermik »

we'd also appreciate it if you joined us on our facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bino-and- ... 738&ref=ts#
xothermik

update.

Post by xothermik »

little update. testin the living room background with a little animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h1y4T30jTk
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

How could I miss this? It's great!

I definitely like the cutout approach. It introduces a level of abstraction which allows you to get away with a lot of things. And it's much faster to produce.

OK, possible improvements:

I really like the 2D backgrounds with the collage elements. However, photographs are always tricky to integrate. You could try to apply some filters on it to make it look like a bad colour xerox, or make it a hard black&white which you can colour very roughly. Sofa, table and bookshelves are nice. Broad pencil outline over collage element - that's a very good style. Don't forget to have enough contrast between elments.

The yellow crayon on the wall - maybe it looks better if you don't draw around the window, but just colour in straight horizontal lines and then paste the window on top?

I just did some quick sketching over the BG:

Think of where the light comes from. In the clip I noticed that the top edges of the wall should be darker - and why is the outside world in the window that dark? If this is a series, you will need to differentiate between night and day settings.

Boy and Old Man have their head nicely separated from the body, but Girl and Grandma not. Add some yellow patches in Grandma's fabric? And change the Girl into something brighter.

I've added stripes to Grandpa to make the Girl's hair more visible.

I've messed a bit with the Girl's face:
Problem is that you need to make her expressions readable, but have dark elements on a dark ground. So I:
- put a darker brush behind her eyes (to indicate shadow) and some light on her nose and cheeks
- gave her eyebrows - nothing is better for expressions than that
- made her eyes smaller - a pupil totally surrounded by white is something which should be reserved for the most extreme expressions only
- made the white in the eye a bit yellowish (about 5% darker) - it still looks white, but now you have the total white reserved for absolute highlights.

I'm not sure about the airbrushed gradients in the pupils. Maybe a flatter brush approch would be better?

Iwaxana's comment about the eyes was correct. Narrow eyes are associated with "bad" characters, not with children's innocence.

Right now all characters don't tilt their heads. Maybe you should try to introduce some head-up, head-down poses, which will add a whole range of expressions, especially since small children interact with taller grown-ups. Also side views need to be done. (The one of Grandpa in the clip doesn't convince me.)

I'm curious about the mouth movements. Grandma in particular has the potential for really broad face distortions ...

Have a look at the work of Eric Carle (http://www.analucia.net/imsblog/Eric-Carle/), especially his way to collage painted papers, that's a nice way to get texture and shadows into characters without going into realistic 3D shadows and stuff.

Overall your style is really great, and I'd like to see that show. And the music is great, too!

How's the animation scene in Nigeria? This is the type of show I'd like to participate in, but you will not find something this colourful and bright outside of Africa ...
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

i like the little teaser :) keep up the good work...