BINO AND FINO.

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

xothermik

Post by xothermik »

@slowtiger-- i think most will agree that im not just being polite when i say thats quite an epic post. your eye for fishing out faults is staggering. and your modified images are there to prove it. what a walk through.
also viewed the eric carle images. really inspiring stuff.
the animation environment in Nigeria is'nt too encouraging to say the least. and is mostly made up of self thought enthusiastic amateurs with laptops and a crappy or limited internet connection. most people still dont believe me when i say i do animation for a living. you try to convince people the potential animation has but most people cant see that. even t.v stations are hard to convince and in the end the give you and impossible deal. the animation industry is still struggling to get its fair share of revenue.my studio actually just made up our minds to just grab the bull by the horns and do the first pre schooler series show in the country. we just got tired of trying to pitch our stuff to sponsors and are basically locking ourselves in to finish this and hopefully they might start coming to us. or at least make decent sales from the dvd's. mainly targeting Africans in diaspora looking for something for their kids with a nigerian or african touch. but i must say things are slowly starting to move in the right direction.
The studio is really excited about your willingness to participate in the project in whatever capacity you can spare. there's actually currently just two of us :lol: so yeah we will need any help we can get.
we'll definitely be in touch.

@funksmaname-- thanks man.
Manu

Post by Manu »

Have a look at "Charlie and Lola" in case you haven't already done so. Just to get some ideas on how to do that sort of style.

The main problem you have at the moment is keeping all the shapes separate and defined.

Can I suggest you give the two children different tones of skin colour? Currently, when their faces touch, they end up blending into each other. Make the girl's skin a bit lighter than the boy's. It'll save you lots of trouble in the future.

Same for the chair the boy is standing in front of in the YouTube clip.

SlowTiger already pointed out the grandfather's clothes.

Yup, when you get rid of outlines, you open yourself up to a world of pain. I finished working on a show where we didn't use outlines, and we often had to make parts of backgrounds or characters darker or lighter on a scene by scene basis, just to keep all the shapes readable.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

A nifty trick used by photographers: when they work with darker skinned models, they often use a light behind the model so the reflection on the skin defines the outlines. You could do the same with adding some light rim on one side of the face - although this also asks for some lightsource in the background to look naturally ...
Manu

Post by Manu »

slowtiger wrote:A nifty trick used by photographers: when they work with darker skinned models, they often use a light behind the model so the reflection on the skin defines the outlines. You could do the same with adding some light rim on one side of the face - although this also asks for some lightsource in the background to look naturally ...
True, but that's a very 3D solution. With a flat 2D cut-out style you should try and go for a more graphic solution
xothermik

BINO AND FINO FIRST EPISODE!

Post by xothermik »

Hello everyone. been off the forum for a while. i've been neck deep in production of the pilot episode for the bino and fino childrens cartoon show. we actually were into production for the d.v.d which is comming out at the end of the year but it happened to be Nigeria's golden jubilee independence and so we decided to do a piece for it especially since many african countries are doing the same this year. we are still trying to find our feet with the look, feel and sound of the entire show so feel free with your comments and criticisms and they would be of great help. here's a link to the first episode i hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ5sOMOYwkQ
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Wow, nice work! I love the narrator. She really adds a warmth to the story. I also like that she repeats the names of the characters so it's clear which one is Bino and which one is Fino. I think you might explore the narrator as a sort of character that welcomes the audience into the BinoFino world (not necessarily overtly). It's like she's reading the story just for you and she will take care of you and make sure that everything is okay. :)
xothermik

Post by xothermik »

hmm interestin. almost all the comments we got on our facebook page or from local forums did'nt like the narrator. some even find the name repitation quite bothering :x . many are just calling for individual voices for the characters. and maybe just a little occasional narration. maybe if there was no lip sync at all they might not be confused at all because that was what the voice over narration was originally recorded for as we didnt want to waste time with phoneme lip syncing and thought muppet style lip sync wont do it. halfway through the first episode though i tried a basic lip sinc and i thought it worked fine. as did the director. we are actually about to experiment with the multiple voices. guess we'll see how that works. let me know your thoughts please and thanks for the comment iwaxana.
Acochran_89

Post by Acochran_89 »

I personally thing the narration works quite well. I can see why some people might get bothered by it, but if your target audience is very young children than I believe it will work great. Like lwaxana said, the narrator could be integrated into the show as a story teller who is there just to for the kids to tell them a wonderful story.
xothermik

Post by xothermik »

hello everyone. been off the thread for a while. i went back to collage to wrap up my final semester. not before the getting the episodes done for the bino and fino d.v.d. its been on sale for about a month on this site.

http://www.binoandfino.com/

this is intended to test the market and hopefully keep us afloat. already getting some sales and is actually the first time a nigerian animation is actually on d.v.d and already on sale abroad.
capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

I had totally missed this thread, hadn't seen it. Until now.
Very nice work. I like it. :-)

I also just visited your blog and facebook pages and watched some clips there.

I must say that I highly admire the interactive approach you have used in the development process of the series, presenting test clips on the blog and on youtube, asking questions aimed at your potenital audience/customers, taking in visitor's comments and seriously listening to them, responding to them, letting them help you develop the product...

You actually made parts of the development open and public!
(...In a world where most people are worried and scared about someone stealing your ideas and your work.)

That is such a nice idea.

I think I will order a DVD from you. :-)

cheers
and good luck on the continued production
capricorn ( - just call me "cap")
children's tv pro, character animator
xothermik

Post by xothermik »

thanks capricorn33. interacting with our targeted or potential customers really helped the project indeed. in fact many of them on our facebook page got really attached to it and were really determined to support in anyway they can.when it was finally ready, some even saw it as their duty to purchase a copy.and not just people from this part of the world or any race in particular. its not just out of pity however as like you pointed out they saw what we were trying to do and believed in the project and wanted to see it come to fruition. i guess it has to do with the uniqueness as its refreshing for most to see a cartoon about Africans from the point of view of Africans. this is the first completed cartoon show in the country or even in west Africa that is also available on d.v.d and has actually sold! whats more, its not just about life of some tribe in the jungle, or wars or famine but a modern and urban african family.
we are already getting ready to produce more. thanks for the good wishes.
xothermik

video interview with creator of bino and fino

Post by xothermik »

hi everyone. just want to share a video interview with the creator of bino and fino on VOX AFRICA T.V a pan african tv station based in the u.k. as he discusses some of the tribulations of producing a children's cartoon from Abuja, Nigeria. i briefly appear as a picture of a black guy behind two monitors. the cartoon gets featured late on the show so if you dont have time and bandwidth to waste you might wanna skip towards the end.

http://www.voxafrica.co.uk/vod/videos/?v=0_rz1vr9xa
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

That was a great interview. What Adamu Waziri said about the barbie dolls was eye opening. I had heard about the studies of kids and doll skin color in the US, but didn't know the same thing was going on in Africa. Bino and Fino will be a great influence on children! I wish you guys every success. :D
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Hey, someone else from Africa on these forums. Hi!
xothermik

Post by xothermik »

@lwaxana. thanks for the wishes man.
@Mikdog. aww you didn't know? :lol: hi, you are not alone bro!