air bubbles in water

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

fracturedray

air bubbles in water

Post by fracturedray »

Trying my hand at particle effects and figured I'd use Anime Studio for some of this.

Here is an animation test with the particles being used for most of the animation except for the really close bubbles. I animated each of the close ones with some bones.

edit... latest version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mkz75tqYMU

What do you think? Portfolio worthy?

-ray
Last edited by fracturedray on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hi animation world.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Nice use of particles.

I think you can try wavy effect for animating the bubbles.

Script-Warp-Wavy
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Nice animation! I like your idea of using particles for the background bubbles and then using specific animation for the foreground bubbles. The particles look awesome and very natural.

The foreground bubbles are very crumply and have a more unsettling mood and energy. Maybe they are like that for style or to indicate something about the liquid. Maybe it's fizzy? But it looks odd because there's no sense of tension on the surface of the bubble. I would smooth them out more unless there's some reason for the shape.

I have never made a show reel or portfolio before, but I just happened to read in the book Elemental Magic that special effects animation should act in support of character animation unless it's a "money shot" like a volcano erupting, forest fire, etc. The bubbles alone would show your technical ability, but adding a nice character to carry the shot would knock their socks off. :D
fracturedray

Post by fracturedray »

Thanks guys,

lwaxana, I think we really are connected in some weird way. There was a conference last Saturday and Joseph Gilland, the author of Elemental Magic gave an hour long speech. It was very interesting so I bought his book and have been reading it.

I tweaked the bubbles some (not sent to youtube yet) and will add some element/character to the animation to be the focus.

-ray
Hi animation world.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

fracturedray wrote:Thanks guys,

lwaxana, I think we really are connected in some weird way. There was a conference last Saturday and Joseph Gilland, the author of Elemental Magic gave an hour long speech. It was very interesting so I bought his book and have been reading it.

I tweaked the bubbles some (not sent to youtube yet) and will add some element/character to the animation to be the focus.

-ray
Yes lwaxana has an unusual eye for detail, not much gets past him. He seems to constantly research techniques and is for the most part dead on.

I like the way you used the resources in this animation, my only concern is that the close up bubbles look a tad like disc, they are not rounded enuff. Other then that its great :D :D :D
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
fracturedray

Post by fracturedray »

Yeah, I experimented at the apartment swimming pool before I did this and saw some bubbles in some really awkward shapes but I agree the flat bubbles are not working very well since they aren't warping to other shapes. I'll tweak them.
Hi animation world.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Sbtamu--Aw, thanks, buddy! :D To be honest, I've only read a few different books on this stuff. But some books have so much good info that I can't shut up about them. hehe

Fracturedray--What a treat to attend a lecture from Joseph Gilland! It never even occurred to me that there are conferences. Are these for professionals only?
fracturedray

Post by fracturedray »

From reading the site, the guild is for entertainment professionals, educators and students.

A friend of mine told me about it only a few days before it took place so I don't know very much about the guild that held it.

Here is the link I was given... http://www.industrygiants.org/

The guild is in Texas and they are trying to grow and get more members. Apparently most of the members are from Austin and Dallas right now.
Hi animation world.
robj

Post by robj »

Absolutely fantastic!
I watched it several times and could envision something approaching from the distance reflected through each bubble accordingly as it approaches and passes each layer of bubbles and finally the camera ...
fracturedray

Post by fracturedray »

Thanks robj,

Since most of them are particles I don't think I'd be able to edit the reflections real time. You have me wondering if actions can be made into particles on 7.0 Pro. If so then I'd probably break down and buy it. Already have a headache from the vector tools and color fill in 5 Pro. Had to re-color the fish 3 times because of all the weird bugs.

Anyway here is the new version...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mkz75tqYMU

I added a fish with a simple animation, made the bubble transparent and tweaked a few other things here and there. Thanks for all the feed back, it was very helpful.
Hi animation world.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Great animation on the fish and bubbles! It really conveys that underwater feeling.

I think people viewing your portfolio will connect with the scene better if it's even more about the character and the "story." Right now the fact that the fish is swimming isn't telling us very much. Adding something more specific could convey something about the fish's personality, motivation in the scene, or situation. That will give the viewer something to connect with and give the shot a sense of purpose.

For example, if you made him look over his shoulder in paranoia every now and then, it wouldn't require too much change to the animation, but it would completely change the story, raising all kinds of questions that could help engage the viewer. Or maybe he's trying to figure out where all the bubbles are coming from and he's looking around, investigating here and there. Or euphorically swimming upward with the bubbles. Just some examples.

Another thing to consider is how this all fits with your show reel. You have those great pimp walk cycles. You definitely want to include one (or more) of those. I think he moved from right to left? If your other samples are also swimming/walking from right to left, it will be hard to edit them together and make it look like a variety. That may be another reason to have the fish swim around the screen more.

By the way, I can't wait to see your portfolio! From what I've seen, it's going to be awesome. :D