Pub Background WIP

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

http://vimeo.com/17216414

Thanks guys! Here is a brief animation with this background. I tried it with the lantern light moving and then still. Any suggestions on the light? I welcome any suggestions on the rest of the animation, although I'm feeling pretty done with this particular shot. I can use any feedback in the rest of the scene, though.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

I love the little touches in this bit, eg., the guy's eyes following the walk-in, the girl flinching, etc. Cute. I like it with the lights moving, feels less like a still shot.

One odd thing is the guy walking in appears to be stobing. I'm not exactly sure why, the problem could be on my end. Kinda like he's on twos and everything else is on ones.

Anyway, great to see your work.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I like the style, but the guy walking in with the beer performs a kind of conjuring trick with his glass as he sits down. It just seems to pass straight through the character on the left!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thanks for the feedback! I will take a look at this again. I have all the poses for him moving the beer glass in toward himself and behind the other character so maybe I just need to adjust the timing so it reads better. I think the strobing is caused by my video editor settings. I'll see if one of the other settings works better. Although the walk itself is pretty choppy. After animating the body turn, I became impatient. :) But really the body turn is so fast, it doesn't even register.
Uolter

Post by Uolter »

I think this is the first time i see something animated from you, maybe because I've been away from the forum for a few months, I remember you were setting up characters. I liked a lot this little shot, very careful. The characters' feelings are immediate, their details make the difference. In my opinion the light moving is better, I agree with neeters...Great work!
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I'm trying to decide if I should use a dusty streaming light effect in this background. Any strong opinions one way or the other?
http://vimeo.com/22321968
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Dusty streaming is usually related to dramatic situations. In a comedy you would not find much of it.

Perhaps you might put lanterns up on the ceiling? Also, table or something similar in the first plan would resolve perception of the hole space inside and you might not need a dust anymore ,) On the other hand, there`s a bit too much shades of brown in the scene, and that might cause difficult spacing too.

Expanding the window and color chart could give you a better result.
dm

Post by dm »

No. Just looks flat and hazy. If you're going to do it at all, make the stream of light more definite.

Some of it's from compression, but some is inherent: I'd also make the whole thing a little contrastier. Attached example was burned and dodged. See how the background is a little 'snappier'? It's just a little darker and has a little more contrast.

Animation isn't about emulating reality, it's about accentuating a perception of it. More extreme usually works better.

By the way, I like the way you've gone with this. It's going well.

Hopefully this works:

(edit got the image to work)
tonym

Post by tonym »

The light is making the scene too realistic, in my opinion.

You have to draw a line sometimes and say, realism stops...here. Otherwise, you'll be adding beams of shadows within the light as people walk through the light, then you'll be adding dust motes. And then one day you'll ask yourself, "Should I add fingernails to fingers? After all, I have dust motes for crying out loud," and then all hell will break loose.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Interesting! I was leaning away from the streaming light, but you guys have given compelling reasons I had not considered. Thank you! I have a lot of scenes to remove streaming light from now... :)