Witch of Waves - First View

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Designspaceman

Witch of Waves - First View

Post by Designspaceman »

Hello Everybody,
I'm new to this forum and I would like to start talking with you by showing a part of my work.
Currently I'm doing character-setups and backgound paintings for a short movie with the working title "Witch of Waves".
All paintings were done with Corel Painter Essentials 4 (witch keeps a very good ballance between capabilties and price).
The character is working already with bones and switches. I will show it working in the near future.
So that's it for now. Any comments?
The Spaceman

Image[/list]
Image[/list]
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Gorgeous design work and can't wait to see some animation :D
bleep

Post by bleep »

That's pretty amazing cartoon design */stands*
Paul Mesken

Re: Witch of Waves - First View

Post by Paul Mesken »

This looks great, Spaceman. Very nice on the colors and the design of the background.

I would give those table legs depth, though. Right now they look completely flat (only showing front side) while most of everything has depth in the rest of the picture and the background is in perspective (so you'd expect the table to follow the same perspective). A cast shadow under the table would help too. Right now it looks like it's floating, it's not grounded by a shadow like the character is.

I'd also be carefull where to place the character. His dark hair is of the same tone as the darker areas in the background. It gets kinda swallowed up by the background where he is standing now (if you squint through your eyes then you'll no longer see his hair, you'll only see his face).

You might put his head in front of a lighter area or perhaps even use what they do normally in a movie : put a rimlight on his hair to get a seperation (rimlights are lights that are shining on the back of the actor's head, giving a rim of light around the hair). You could do this by taking a lighter color for the outline of the hair.

As for the glasses and bottle : I would definitely put highlights on them. They can be crude and I wouldn't make those highlights too bright (lest they attract too much attention from the viewer). Just something to give a rounded feel to them and to indicate that it is glass. They seem a bit too flat right now, for my tastes.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Wow, nice painterly work. The dutch angle is a bit disconcerting though. Hopefully this is explained in the story. :)

edit: So technically this isn't a dutch shot since the character is upright, but the ship is waaay tilted now.
Last edited by neeters_guy on Sat May 22, 2010 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

neeters_guy wrote:Wow, nice painterly work. The dutch angle is a bit disconcerting though. Hopefully this is explained in the story. :)
Looks nice.
Looks like he might be on a ship or a submarine?
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Beautiful backgrounds! I agree that the table would fit in better if it more closely matched the style of either the background or the character.
Mylenthes

Post by Mylenthes »

It's so misty and fresh. I love it! :wink:
-Mylen i pwn
Uolter

Post by Uolter »

The background is fantastic, as others said you should match the objects and characters style with it to give more uniformity!