Windy Hair Test

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

Windy Hair Test

Post by lwaxana »

Hi all! I'm attempting to make some actions for my characters' hair so it looks like a strong wind is blowing through it. It's harder than I imagined it would be. This character's hair normally has a lot of curvature so adding a lot of undulating motion looks strange. And the bangs kind of look like slugs. :D Does anyone have any suggestions to improve this?

http://vimeo.com/10851505
Mylenthes

Post by Mylenthes »

I like it, andt this is quite unrelated to the hair but the neck is kind of wierd it seems like shes poking her chest out or something. Idk just semmed different Imo
-Mylen i pwn
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Mylenthes wrote:I like it, andt this is quite unrelated to the hair but the neck is kind of wierd it seems like shes poking her chest out or something. Idk just semmed different Imo
Yeah he has been working on the necks in another thread.

Did you do this with bone dynamics or move points while at other than 0 in the time line?
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thanks for the feedback, Mylenthes! Yeah, I may need to revisit the neck issue instead of hoping that all of a sudden people won't find it bizarre looking. :D It's very helpful for me to hear what people's first impressions are and to face the facts. lol

Sbtamu--I animated the points by hand in the actions timeline so I could reuse them. Then I applied the actions in the main timeline. I feel like it looks okay when the wind starts up, but when it dies down, the hair springs back into shape. I can't figure out how to get it to settle more naturally.

Unrelated to hair, I put up a sync test for another character: http://vimeo.com/10853767 . Probably not his final voice, but this is the person who will be voicing him.

I really need to learn the best settings to upload to vimeo because the audio came out all robotic and the videos are enlarged...
Uolter

Post by Uolter »

I feel like it looks okay when the wind starts up, but when it dies down, the hair springs back into shape
They look nice! probably you only need to work a little more and you'll get what you need :)

Lip synch is great!
dreww

Post by dreww »

that looks really good! and the neck honestly looks fine =)
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I like the way the eyes narrow when the wind gets up. It's a nice touch.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
neomarz1

Re: Windy Hair Test

Post by neomarz1 »

lwaxana wrote:Hi all! I'm attempting to make some actions for my characters' hair so it looks like a strong wind is blowing through it. It's harder than I imagined it would be. This character's hair normally has a lot of curvature so adding a lot of undulating motion looks strange. And the bangs kind of look like slugs. :D Does anyone have any suggestions to improve this?

http://vimeo.com/10851505
Nothing really stands out as being wrong, it looks pretty good. If I was to nitpick it, I would say the bangs should "maybe" individually go different directions. one bang goes right, while the next left, and the next right and so on. The bangs would probably be more chaotic in their motions, cuz they are short... but as I said before, ... if I was nitpicky... It actually looks really good, and suits the style well.
Acochran_89

Post by Acochran_89 »

my first impression; great. I can see how the neck may look weird to some people, but in my opinion it is unique and fits the style well. The lip sync was also good. Nice facial expressions in both posts. I look forward to seeing more.
neomarz1

Post by neomarz1 »

Acochran_89 wrote:my first impression; great. I can see how the neck may look weird to some people, but in my opinion it is unique and fits the style well. The lip sync was also good. Nice facial expressions in both posts. I look forward to seeing more.
Just a little opinion on necks. I had this same issue when I first started drawing "anime" characters. I could never get the necks to look right. I figured out what the problem was. I was trying to draw the neck the way it really was (Where the back of the jawline to ear usually lines up with the back of the neck at 3/4 view.)... What? you ask, well let me explain. I noticed in a lot of cartoons that they drew necks like "Barbie dolls". Its anatomically "incorrect", but for some reason it works. Dont ask my why it works, it just does. So now when I draw necks I visualize a Barbie doll. I'll try to post some examples. Iwaxana, Im guessing that they are criticising your neck placement to head, if this is what they are complaining about, you may want to try this method, and see what you think.
neomarz1

Post by neomarz1 »

Iwaxana, I dont think I've taken the time to say that I think your Characters are pretty cool. Are working on a series, or something using these characters? I could see something really unique here. I hope you do something big with this. I just checked out one of you boy characters doing a little bop and walk. it was pretty entertaining. you put "character" into your characters. great work
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thanks everyone for your feedback and encouragement! :D I started working on the necks again in my character design thread. Thanks Neomarz for the barbie neck tip. I think that is putting me on the right track to fixing the neck problem.

I'm planning to work more on the wind animation this weekend. The suggestions about the bangs will be very useful. For some reason I was thinking shorter hair would be less frenetic. But yes. That makes no sense. :D

Neomarz--So far the plan is to make a series of 5 minute webisodes. We've worked out the major story arcs, but my buddies are just getting started on the actual writing. But really, I'll be happy just to complete one episode! lol This is an insane amount of work and it's hard to work on a project while I'm still just learning how to animate.