Tom and Huck characters ...and some troubleshooting

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Robin Annette

Tom and Huck characters ...and some troubleshooting

Post by Robin Annette »

Hello again! So here's my first semi-complete characters, Tom and Huck. I'm using them in a project for English class where I'm going to be making a short animation movie of a scene from the book. Here's what I have so far:

(oh, and please ignore the fact that Huck's feet look like marshmallows.. haha)

And a close-up:

I'm trying to decide if I should add shading or not. What do you think? What would be the best way to do this?

Also, I run into a few issues when it comes to adding bones and animating them. Here are a few problems I have. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Here's a screenshot:

Thanks!
Last edited by Robin Annette on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uolter

Post by Uolter »

I can't help you with technical issues cause I'm not so experienced, anyway I want to say your characters are very nice, I like the feet too! Compliments!
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Looks like some point binding problem to me.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Mandcon's arm is your solution.
You can find an explanation on this thread
viewtopic.php?t=15478
on page two there is a image posted by neeters_guy which explain it pretty well.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Robin Annette

Post by Robin Annette »

selgin wrote:Mandcon's arm is your solution.
You can find an explanation on this thread
viewtopic.php?t=15478
on page two there is a image posted by neeters_guy which explain it pretty well.
cool, I'll take a look thanks!
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Your characters look really nice! :D You're really going all out considering this is an English project.

ps--I think you already deserve an A. :D
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Cute characters. Man, I wish I could've done something like this for my English class.

Point binding will fix your problem, but in AS, there are several ways you can rig your characters. I recommend following the tutorials in the help file to begin with.

Also, take a look at fiziwig's Beginner's Tutorials, specifically the parts on Character Design and Bones. The tutorials were offline for a while, but fiziwig has graciously brought them back. I haven't done all the exercises, but the whole thing is worth reading.
Robin Annette

Post by Robin Annette »

^I read that tutorial and I think I got it working a little better... still need to play around with it tough. Especially the legs because the knee just keeps turning to mush when it bends. >__<
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Clean looking toons; nice work.

A nice effect to add to you toons would be some line width on the hair. Open the project and play with the line width tool on single points and if you do not like the look just close it out w/o saving. I use this alot on hair or when i have a line that doesnt connect to anything; like the line from the inside of the arm to the shoulder.

neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Robin Annette wrote:...the knee just keeps turning to mush when it bends. >__<
The mandcon rig will fix that. You'll find it takes several techniques to make your character work. Keep at it. It'll make sense eventually.
Robin Annette

Post by Robin Annette »

sbtamu wrote:Clean looking toons; nice work.

A nice effect to add to you toons would be some line width on the hair. Open the project and play with the line width tool on single points and if you do not like the look just close it out w/o saving. I use this alot on hair or when i have a line that doesnt connect to anything; like the line from the inside of the arm to the shoulder.

yeah, I figured out how to do that just after I posted this, actually. it makes a big difference!
tonym

Post by tonym »

Robin Annette wrote:^I read that tutorial and I think I got it working a little better... still need to play around with it tough. Especially the legs because the knee just keeps turning to mush when it bends. >__<
If you don't have any points at the knee, then add some. With Region Binding, you need points at locations where you want bending to occur.