running in the wind

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Postality

running in the wind

Post by Postality »

I used bone dynamics to try out simulated wind effect of clothing moving while someone is running, here's the result:

download it here:
http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2S8Q ... SAJSQA1O0G

or stream it here:
http://www.zippyvideos.com/183956918213645.html

you'll need divx http://www.divx.com to watch the video

what do you think?
Last edited by Postality on Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Have you tried zippy videos for the sharing of your files instead of the yousend it place? They seem to have a few fewer or no popups and ads and stuff...for now anyway.
http://www.zippyvideos.com/
Postality

Post by Postality »

added a link to zippyvideo =)
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

I like the new link better! :D

The clothes flapping looks good - I would like to see a version of your animation where the clothes´ movement is exaggerated more and the person is running faster.
RASH

Post by RASH »

It is a good start, but there are some problems.

For starters, the timing is way off. Study the stills of some footage I took from three sub-elite runners in a local race, here, at 25 fps, running at 17 kph. They stride at about 4 steps per second, while a typical sprinter will stride at 8 - 10 steps per second. This would mean your animation is 10 times slowed down, compared to a human sprinter.

And the motion of a sprinter is less smooth than you are suggesting. He has to work against gravity constantly.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

RASH wrote:It is a good start, but there are some problems.
For starters, the timing is way off. Study the stills of some footage I took from three sub-elite runners in a local race,
But what he did is the style he wanted to show. (A slow motion run perhaps?) I don´t think he was trying to be realistic - he was making a cartoon test to check the clothing moving as a person runs.
I don´t know many cartoons that follow real world physics or are remotely following reality (Ducks talk, coyotes blow up and aren´t hurt, characters converse, but only the black hole of a mouth moves) - they are cartoons after all. :D
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Funny!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
RASH

Post by RASH »

Yeah, funny :lol:

-> OFF TOPIC -> The strange things is when real humans abide by the laws of cartoon physics, they aren't funny (e.g. in Who framed Roger Rabbit), probably because the action is not believable, or perhaps because Hollywood actors are such lousy** actors compared to cartoon characters.

[note]** I've seen more funny cartoon short movies than funny (proclaimed) "comedy" movies with real actors in it (except those of independent producers, like Charly Chaplin). Although some older movies that were supposed to be serious are very funny to watch in this day and age. Girls screaming every time something aweful has happened and such things. So predictable, that it is funny just because of that.[/note]

Still, I think for a believable animation some of the normal physics of running should apply here.

BTW I've tried some running anim of my own, but I didn't come furhter than this single duck frame:
I guess I'd should try walking first. My anim skills are rather poor at this moment. It seems not only cartoon characters are bound by certain laws, but the animators as well, viz. the law of proper design before animation ;)
Postality

Post by Postality »

If I wanted realism I wouldn't be drawing cartoonish comic book type people now would I? LOL

I'd hire actors and do a REAL movie, there's no right or wrong way to make something move it's the story that you're trying to unfold that's much more important. You can have 2 balls with eyes and a mouth talking to eachother, and the dialog alone can make you laugh (If you're going for comedy that is). If the end result makes people laugh, then you're successful.

most actors and directors don't even know how to do realism, that's why alot of movies are a flop.

as for the speed of the animation is was just slowed to show the clothing moving more clearly and easily to catch. That was the main point of this animation is to show that you can use the bone dynamics to animate wind affected clothing.

and just because ELITE runners run a certain way doesn't mean everyone runs that way. everyone runs and walks diffrently, either way there's no right or wrong way to run.
RASH

Post by RASH »

Of course, you're right and I am wrong (I seem to be wrong a lot lately).

I guess I'm more of a Daffy Duck than a Mickey Mouse:- chaotic, never sure were he is going and always getting in trouble somehow.