Simple live action plus animation.

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

stephen

Simple live action plus animation.

Post by stephen »

I am getting back in to using Anime Studio, actually it was Moho the last time I posted here.
Since this is also my first YouTube posting, I used the first animated character I made in Moho in the video.

This is simple, but shows the potential of using Anime Studio to mix live action and animation.

The live video was done with a widescreen DV camera, loaded in to iMovieHD then over to Anime Studio, where the butterfly was added.

Then a trip back to iMovieHD to put in titles and fades, then over to Garage Band to clean up the audio (as best I could) and insert some midi music (composed in Melody Assistant.)

Please check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lfqHM9Bxic

One of the points here is that a lot can be done on the cheap without having to buy any video production software.

Having Anime Studio do the compositing allowed me to easily put the butterfly key frames in sync with the live video

Stephen
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello stephen

I liked it, quite a good come back to AS Pro.

Just wanted to suggest a quicker and much more erratic flight path for the butterfly. You can find plenty of references on Youtube.

Keep the good work coming!

G
stephen

Post by stephen »

GCharb wrote:Hello stephen

I liked it, quite a good come back to AS Pro.

Just wanted to suggest a quicker and much more erratic flight path for the butterfly. You can find plenty of references on Youtube.

Keep the good work coming!

G
Agreed. I actually spent most of my time fighting with file formats, I should have spent more time on the animation.

Because I am using several packages on the Mac, each one wanting to either re-compress the video, or produce a massive 1.2 gig uncompressed video, I had to learn how not to introduce too many compression artifacts in to the final video.

Finally I tripped across the fact that apple quicktime has an "Intermediate" codec that compresses some without a lot of visual loss.

Also it took about an hour to learn that when garage band has a midi track, and exports it as a .mov file (the only choice) it seems to keep it as a separate midi track in the .mov file.

So even though YouTube will take a .mov file for upload, it will strip out the midi track during its processing stage.

I had to convert my .mov Quicktime file in to a .mp4 file to mix the midi track in before uploading to YouTube.

I also learned along the way that , though iMovieHD will quickly "share" a video to Garage Band, any clip that was made in Anime Studio gets shrunk about 10 pixels on a side, and then padded with either a white or black frame. This forced me to export to a file, and then drag in to Garage Band.

I also learned that I should turn the furnace off when recording live video, since I had a tough time cleaning up the soundtrack afterwards.

I actually use my car as a soundproof booth when recording voiceovers, but could not do that in this case.

Stephen
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello again!

Interesting that you used your car as a sound proof booth. You can build one real cheap with a wooden frame and egg cartoons, those reflect sound real well.

I build mine with 2X2 and gypse panels, it is like 4X6 in size, just enough for small stuff.

G