My short clip of running SnowBuni girl

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Wow, what did I miss? :shock:

acid breakdown, much of the things you mention--hair, body, outfit--are specific requirements of the character. My goal in doing this version was to sell the sweetness of the character while at the same time make it credible that she could be a super agent type (think the animated series Totally Spies). If she comes across as sleazy and unempathetic then I've failed in that regard. But I have to wonder, what makes her look sleazy? She is sexy for sure, but sleazy and hooker-like seems a bit harsh.

Granted, this isn't a unique reaction to Jeff's character and there's been some discussion on his board about toning down the pg-13 look of SnowBuni. But her backstory runs the gamut from science fiction, horror, and comedy, and part of the schtick is that her nemeses underestimate her because they think she's a dumb blonde. She's never the victim and any character who forgets that gets a rabbit punch. :wink:

Also, I get that there are stereotypic and cliched elements to this design. Keep in mind this isn't indie festival material; the tradition that it draws from is anime and superhero comics. I think in that context, my character design is no more sleazy or sexist than any other examples in those media.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. However passionate it may be, it is always welcome. (I only draw the line at personal insults like "neeters_guy IS a sexist pig.") I know my design won't please everyone, but I hope my explanation makes it more understandable.

--

Hey, thanks for your comments everyone. I really enjoyed them, esp. hayasidist. lol, great! :D
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Thing is: this is only a design so far. It's not a story which would allow to judge her character, intelligence, actions, whatever. I agree it's a stereotypical design, it's also sexist because it uses elements from sexist contexts. BUT:

- never judge a woman by her clothing. I go on a far stretch here with saying this includes animated characters as well. (If you want to learn more, search "slut walk". I was part of it.)

Let's wait for some real material, like a complete episode, and hope the character does more than just wiggle her tail.
jhwood9

Post by jhwood9 »

acid breakdown wrote:exactly! Swimsuit and ski boots! I think its ridiculously cliched, and dont even get me started on the bleach blonde hair.
What's not to love?
:D

--jhw
Jeffrey H Wood
jhwood9

Post by jhwood9 »

slowtiger wrote: Thing is: this is only a design so far. It's not a story which would allow to judge her character, intelligence, actions, whatever
Generally I don't involve myself in 3rd party discussions, even if I or my characters are the subject of debate. But I thought there were some fun facts I could add to the conversation here.

There's actually quite a lot of history to the SnowBuni character; I designed her in 1984 (or thereabouts, I was about 20 at the time) and she's been in continuous publication since then (usually crappy self-pub zines that I produced).

Mike has been moving the ball forward toward animating the character, which is wonderful after all these years of static images. Prior to his involvement, the only animation I'd done with her were some short loops in GIF format.
slowtiger wrote: I agree it's a stereotypical design, it's also sexist because it uses elements from sexist contexts.
What in the heck is a sexist content? She's blatantly sexual, but that's not the same thing as "sexist."
slowtiger wrote: Let's wait for some real material, like a complete episode, and hope the character does more than just wiggle her tail.
Wiggling her tail is a big part of her character. Hopefully she has developed a little more depth than that, during the last... um... 27 years? That long? Ye ghods, I'm old.
--jhw
Jeffrey H Wood
hottygaram

Re: My short clip of running SnowBuni girl

Post by hottygaram »

neeters_guy wrote:
rogermate wrote:The 2D stuff is much better than the 3D one also on youtube, imho.
I agree. I like 3D, but it takes sooo long to build a character. I'm just a one-man show, so AS is the way to go (for now).
rogermate wrote:How did you draw these buni's? The characters are drawn well, is it shading? Are they drawn in another app and cut out animated in AS, or image as a brush?
All drawn in AS, over a tracing image. It would've been easier to import images, but I decided I needed control over points to correct some bad bone deformations.

Here's a graphic showing how the head and shading is constructed.
rogermate wrote:As far as the characters go, I think they are ready for a script.
I hope so soon. Thanks for the encouragement! :)
looks nice good work