The new Gary the Gopher...

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bleep

Post by bleep »

cool, u returned from another vacation heyvern. I was thinking of sending some others too :mrgreen:
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

Aaaaah yes! another winner from Vern. Thanks for the tips.....
You'll know when you get there! My Dad
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I will be creating a new section on my web site for the Happy Bear series but until then here's a rough "walk" cycle for Gary. Needs more tweaking on the bounce timing and his arms but I'm happy with the "concept". I am going with a "front view" walk cycle for this scene instead of a 3/4 or side view. It's easier to animate but still works and allows for a lot of variation. I first tried to do a 3/4 view but it wasn't working great so I went with something simple to save time.

http://www.lowrestv.com/misc_movies/gar ... ping2.html

-----------

I used a modified version of DK's "Pigeon Particles" available on Content Paradise for the birds:
http://www.contentparadise.com/productD ... px?id=1529

I took out the strokes on the shapes and added in a shaded effect to match the style of the cartoon. I added key frames to the particle vector to change the shading orientation as the wings flap so the shading isn't as visible on the separate wing shapes.

I created my own particle layer for the butterflies. Needs some work on those. They don't feel... "butterfly-ee" enough for me. Plus they appear to be some kind of butterfly plague that might be more of a nuisance then "pretty". ;)

I found an interesting use for the "scatter brush" feature in AS 6. I used it to create the trees at different sizes and colors. I then picked out the "best ones" that I liked (colors and size) and moved them around.

------------

I have a new rig for Gary's feet using some scripting. I can control his feet switch layers and bones for bending his toes in the switch all from the parent bone layer. So, with one bone for each foot I change the view of his feet with the switch layers (front, side, 3/4 etc) and with another bone bend his toes. I have two bones in the foot switch that bend the toes on either side of the switch (left view, right view). The bone in the parent layer controls both of those bones.

So now I can do all my feet animation very easily from the main layer. Turn the feet, bend the toes. When the toes are bent and I change the switch layers the toes stay bent on either view. Works GREAT! I want to expand on this some more to see what else I can do with switch layer control.

I also can use a bone for the hand switch layers. Saves a lot of layer switching.

-vern
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

That's a great front walk/jump, it looks really nice, I really like the scatter brush tree trick you used, thanks for sharing! :D
Nebil

Post by Nebil »

Hi heyvern,

I am new in this forum and beginer user of Anim Studio
I just seen your animated character and I liked it so much
I was very excited to do something like you

can you tell me please how do you made your character? how you colored it? have you used photoshop? do you import PNG separate features from photoshop to AStudio?

sorry for asking so much
but really I liked you work

you're amazing

best regards

nebil
alhamdoulellah
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Nebil,

Gary was drawn in Anime Studio on vector layers from a scanned drawing. I drew him on paper with pencil then scanned it in and traced it in Anime Studio (actually my scanner isn't working so I took a photo with my digital camera. Faster and works just as well).

The "hair" is created using the "brush" feature for stroke shapes available in Anime Studio Pro only. I created a custom "hair" brush applied to stroke shapes and then I adjust the point width to change the "thickness" or "size" of the "hair brush" to create the tapering hair effect.

No images are used except for the hair brushes. Gary is entirely vector. I used the "shaded" fill effect and other shape effects for shading.

I also use a LOT of masking in Anime Studio for the legs and arms.

Each arm is 4 layers. 1 main layer and 1 mask layer for both the bicep and forearm. The legs are just one layer and actually include the body. The left and right sides are two layers same as the arm. A main layer and a mask layer. Each "side" includes the leg. I can then animate layer order by dragging those two layers for each part up or down in the layer palette.

The head layer is a separate bone layer inside the body bone layer. It has it's own bones for lip sync and face controls like blinking.

Hands and feet are switch layers. The hand switch layers currently just have two layers. A "front" and "back". I can switch those two layers so the hand are facing the right way depending on the arm position.

The feet switch layers have 5 layers: side left, 3/4 left, front, 3/4 right, side right. I use a custom script to switch the feet layers and bend the toes (for side views) of the foot with bones on the main body bone layer so I don't ever have to select the foot or hand switch layers during animation.

-vern
Nebil

Post by Nebil »

I thank you Vern for such detailed response!!

I don't learn yet how to work with switchs and scripts

your character is amazing, even it's in vector, it looks like a photoshop work
it's still too much time for me to do something with similar quality

Vern, is it possible to animate a character imported from photoshop? ie not vector. is it possible to add to him the bones and animate it?
alhamdoulellah
Nebil

Post by Nebil »

it would be great if you have a tutorial of creating character with AS with such quality

thanks
alhamdoulellah
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Yes, actually I think you can animate images in AS pretty well. I plan to have a character done that way in an upcoming short animation I am working on. There are 3 main characters, 2 are vector and 1 is image based.

The trick I've found is to animate images you need to use more bones. I am putting two 3 or even 4 identical bones in the exact same spot to have more control over the image warping. I do have a tutorial series I started on www.lowrestv.com about images and bone warping. My site is a pay site but it's a reasonable price I think.

-vern