An attempt at head turning

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Toontoonz wrote:I see myself using Moho to make 2D characters in 3D-type environments or settings with depth in them. I have yet to import a 3D model into Moho to try it out or have seen many examples of it in action. Please post some if you have any.
Barry Baker's BSKYB Health & Safety:
http://www.lostmarble.com/moho/gallery/psa.shtml
I believe that the furniture was all 3d imported objects, for example. Also, I think that the sets were also 3d models.

Agent posted an 18-wheeler, that was a 3d model.
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1051

more to come...
stephen

Post by stephen »

I worked a little more on my head turn. I thought I'd put some eye blinking in, so I created a switch layer for each eye. In each layer I put the open eye, then copied the layer. In the copied layer I moved the points around to create a closed eye, I did not delete any points so there should be the same number of points in the two layers.

I selected Interpolate sub-layers in the switch properties.

I then tried to animate it. I put a key frame in at frame 78 for the open eye. Then I moved to frame 84 and put a keyframe in for the closed eye.
The problem is, the eye just stays open in frames 78 through 83, then closes suddenly in frame 84.

I experimented with this before and it worked, but before I had a single outline shape in the sublayers. Now my eyes are made of about 4 shapes, the eyeball, the iris, and two lines on either side of the eye. Is that the problem?

Stephen
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

The "interpolate sub-layers" option is limited - it only works if all the sub-layers have the exact same number of points.

The only practical way to guarantee this is to draw the object (in this case an eye) once, and then duplicate the layer. In the duplicated layers, move the points around to create a different pose (blink, eye looking to the side, etc.).

If you draw the open eye and the closed eye separately, it's extremely unlikely that they will have the same number of points and that the same points will correspond on each eye so that they can be interpolated correctly.
stephen

Post by stephen »

hmm.. thats what I said I did. I drew an open eye, copied it and moved the points to create the closed eye. Same number of points. Maybe even so it could not find the correspondence between the points?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Hmm, that should work then. Can you post a link to the file, or email me a copy?
stephen

Post by stephen »

Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Always curious to try something in Moho so I did a quick test of the "interpolate sub-layers" thing in the Switch layer:

Shown in the link - Red box (4 points) and Yellow blob (lots of points) - each with five different layers/shapes morphing around via the Switch layer command in the time line. Each layer in each shape had the same number of points.

http://img132.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img132& ... xsh8tc.swf
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Stephen - In the close eye position (both sides), one of the points apparently auto-welded itself to another, removing one of the points in the closed eyes. Turn off the outlines in the display quiality and zoom in close and you'll see it. Add a single pont in the middle of one of the existing lines on the closed eyes and they work fine.
stephen

Post by stephen »

Thanks for your help.

I have to learn to keep an eye on that tool bar. I did not want auto-welding, but it looks like it was checked by default in the toolbar.

Stephen