Just a start

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

7feet

Just a start

Post by 7feet »

I'm working on a cartoon based on one of my brother's comics, so I sarted roughing out the main character.

The body (except for the hands) isn't really built entirely yet (no legs), and my bro said he should be a little more squat. That's what happens when you forget to bring your reference home with you.

The head shape is just an oval set to iface the camera, everything else moved around in 3D. Took a while to get the ears to work right. The mouths are an interpolated switch layer (although I think I mistakenly deleted a point on one shape, which messes up a few of the transitions), with tweaks to the shape done with a couple of bones. The eyes are another switch layer, with the sublayers acting as masks for the pupils.

The hands are also interpolated switch layers. That was one of the reasons I wrote my mod of the Select Shape tool, being able to order the shapes quickly kept me from just chucking the idea. I made one hand, with fingers, thumb and palm as separate shapes. Then I made a bunch of duplicates of that layer, moving the existing points around to get the shape I wanted. Tthe layer ordering was important, and I had to go back and change the shape depth of the thumb when I was almost done with everything. Some thing I hadn't anticipated is how the interpolation goes in a straight line from point A to point B, so when animating I had to use intermediate poses, e.g. straight from open to fist looked wierd as hell, I had to put the half closed pose in the middle to make it work. The second hans was just a flipped duplicate of the first.

It was actually pretty fun to animate. Took me a lot longer than I thought to set up the character, but once it was done it was really easy to use. The head turning just involved rotating the head group in X and Y. So simple it was hard to believe. I did a short cliip, which is right below. I'm pretty bandwidth challenged, so there's a couple of mirrors. They're only 400K

Quicktime
DivX 5
DivX 5
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Interesting animation.

Was the head a "3D Object" as in Tutorial 6.8?
What did you draw the various body parts in? Moho or another program?

You have inspired me to break up my drawings even more into more separate pieces and put them on different levels in the 3D space to experiment with!
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Great work 7 feet. I Think I am going to have to experiment with placing those layers in 3D space as well; right now everything I do is laid one on top of the other but I can really see how that 3D positioning of the facial elements gives the whole face a nice 3D look. Very cool.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Nice work!

I had to watch it a couple times, to make sure what was falling between the baby's legs. :oops:
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Actually, there wasn't anything falling between his legs. Maybe a compression artifact. Unless you are talking about the, um, staining. I was awake for 36 hours and goofily threw that in.

The shape of the head is just a vector layer. Everything was drawn in Moho. Unless it's an image, I don't really don't draw in anything else lately.
Nolan Scott

Post by Nolan Scott »

nice animation - specially the face.
where do the "bluefly" live ?
not in his head - don't they .

Cheers
Nolan
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

I tried what I think you did....and it was wierd-looking. Interesting effect though. Took a lot of work to coordinate all the parts moving in 3D space.
Wonder if it would be faster to do it with a 3D object (as shown in Tutorial 6.8 ) or just do it in a 3D animation program and render it with cartoon lines?
stephen

Post by stephen »

Your animation is wonderful. I also tried what you did and posted my results under "An attempt at head turning".

I think it came out looking too 3D-ish.

Stephen