Sasha The 1st, Scenes 4 & 7

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

FCSnow

Sasha The 1st, Scenes 4 & 7

Post by FCSnow »

These video clips are experiments I've done with special effects using ASP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr4cVQTx ... annel_page

While portions of this video are in there finial form, other parts will be... altered. Why? Because, even in this form, I see things that I could do better. For instance, I'm not entirely satistified with last shot in Scene 7. And there are other parts that may be tweaked. Even the storm may be adjusted before I move on. But then again, I may not bother, because these short scene will never be used again.

However, if you see something I should address, please let me know and I'll see what can be done to fix it. If you have any question about how I did some of the effects, I'll try to answer those too.

F.C.Snow
Precise Planning And Timing
Never Suceeds Like Dump Luck.
TheChewanater

Post by TheChewanater »

Was the tornado 3d or masking or something entirely different?
ImageImage
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Scene four was top notch. Very impressive. The pursuit was a little flat and lifeless though. Perhaps cutting in a few shots of a pilot or even just a few shots looking back at the pursuer might help.

:wink:
FCSnow

Post by FCSnow »

TheChewanater:

The tornado was made up from three particle layers. Two were for the clouds. The third was was a modified rain particle layer masked over with the outline of an animated funnel, with lots of fuzzy edges. The clouds moving in opposite direction help give it a 3D look. If you look at its base there is a 3D model of a trailer being lifted up.

Even though the sequence is short, with all the particle effects, it took over an hour for it render.

F.C.Snow
chucky

Post by chucky »

You might want to redress the colour choices, snowy, they are really dragging the piece down :( . Seriously , a better colour scheme could improve this a lot. 8)
FCSnow

Post by FCSnow »

synthsin75:
I beleive you're right about "Scene 7, The Pursuit". I set my intended audience, (a bunch of kids) and let them view it. Their eyes sort of glazed over. I will be making changes there, perhaps adding more shots and faster cuts.

chucky:
Could you be more specific about the color scheme. Color can sometimes be quite subjective. If it is something that has slipped my eye, could you please point it out. At this moment I can't see it.

F.C.Snow
Durand

Post by Durand »

Can't wait to see the finnished work. Great stuff. I loved the detail of the truck flipped over by the storm.
b15fliptop

Post by b15fliptop »

Really impressive! I love that you're getting creative with ASP's capabilities. Is this part of a short story? Nicely done, sir!
FCSnow

Post by FCSnow »

b15fliptop:

Sasha The 1st will run about an hour, divided into four chapters. Each chapter will end with a cliff hanger, except for the finial chapter. It will end with a teaser for possible future stories.

I would like it to become a series, but with just me and the help of two other freinds, it doesn't seem likely.

My target audience (kids) have read the story and seen the story board and are excited. Some have expressed a desire to do some of the voices of the characters.

My best hope is that some big producer will see it and want to buy the rights to it, with me just advising on the story line. After all, there are other project I'd like to work on.

F.C.Snow
chucky

Post by chucky »

Sorry I took so long to reply snowy,

I should point out that I thought your piece had some great moments, that tornado was very good in particular.
In regard to the colour I just thought the scheme could have had more complimentary hues. Also the surrounding environment was not casting reflected light onto other colours enough.
For example the picture on the wall in the bedroom had green grass. We all know grass is green, but in a darkened bedroom amidst flashes of lightening there would be a marked change in that green .
I know you are not after a completely naturalistic look here, but maybe some web surfing to look at some of the master background colourists and concept painters in the professional realm, you might get some inspiration.

I am no master, for sure and this was a little sloppy and got kinda dark and too desaturated, doing a quick bash on the lappy from a screengrab, but I exaggerated for a bit of a spooky look, maybe a generally bluer hue all over might be good here than what I did, too..
BTW I didn't mean to lose the yellow in the windows that much, you will have more success with the original files, for sure.

Notice especially though that the road looks more natural by stealing colour from it's surroundings, remember everything is reflective- except bright lights and black holes
Image ... Image

All the best for the project btw... 8)
FCSnow

Post by FCSnow »

chucky:

You were right about the color scheme. I didn't give it the proper attention when I created the shot. But I did redo it and I like the results, the scene is more moody.

But I'm not sure I can do anything about the interior shots. The technique for creating the lightning flashes is different. I created a bright set and then placed a black swatch at the top layer, at 75% opacity. Then just turned it on and off as needed. I did try changing the swatch from black to blue, but the the scene looked like a murky underwater shot (must remember this for future projects). And no other color looks good either. I can not afford any special effect software at this time. For the time being I will have to let the shot stand as is.

Thanks for you help, Chucky.

F.C.Snow
b15fliptop

Post by b15fliptop »

Why don't you try putting a yellow layer, set to like 25% opacity in Color or Hue mode, into a switch layer with the black layer for the lightning strikes? That might achieve the desired effect.
chucky

Post by chucky »

No wukkin furries snow. 8)
Yeah like fliptop says try different layer modes like add or multiply , do some experimenting there it might take a while to get the recipe but it will be worth it. :D
b15fliptop

Post by b15fliptop »

I couldn't resist trying my theory out. Here's a daylit set to which I added a switch layer with a black vector layer set to multiply at 70% opacity, and a yellow layer set to color at 20% opacity. Ideally I would have changed the sky to a dark gloomy one, but this was literally a 3 minute job to test the theory.

http://www.blueblazeinc.com/lightning.mov
wena

Post by wena »

FCSnow would you give us a small tutorial on making the tornado, giving us the setsings, if you are using particles.

Wena Parry